Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any news on future release of OS4 netbook or on Natami?  (Read 22800 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: Any news on future release of OS4 netbook or on Natami?
« Reply #134 from previous page: September 12, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
It's actually sort of interesting, because the music industry now basically works on a model of "pay us if you want to, you can get the product either way", whether they admit it or not.

Supply and Demand gets interesting when the supply is set to infinity :)

edit: And you are right of course as regards industry attitudes. THe problem is they based their entire business on controlling the distribution. When that control was taken away, it turned out, they didn't have a backup plan, because they never expected to do anything else.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:39:45 PM by runequester »

ChuckT

« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
Quote from: Britelite;707783
And people owning CD's and actually ripping those to MP3's is of course totally unthinkable?

Especially when you can go to a large public library and borrow their CD's.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »
Quote from: ChuckT;707851
Especially when you can go to a large public library and borrow their CD's.

You can, but then ,you might as well just torrent it. It's no more legal in the eyes of the law.

ChuckT

« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
Quote from: Nlandas;707837
The excuse for high price is always piracy and the high price always causes more to pirate. So where is the solution?

-Nyle

I own a house and have a family so the days of buying a lot of CD's a year is something you do in your 20's because you don't know any better unless you are rich.  When I went to the University, no one was wearing headphones because everyone was studying or worrying about what they had to get done because we were actually that busy and the university actually had semesters between the semesters for people who were super studiers.

I had two hard drives fail so investing a lot of money into digital downloads without a backup is not something I'm going to do.  The exception of the rule is if the CD is from overseas and it would cost me more money to import.

I can put my CD's into my Will.  You can't do that with MP3's.

The customer has all the power.  If you don't buy, they can't make you take their business plan.

I'm not going to be locked into iTunes because I don't live in a walled garden nor do I want to be shackled to a platform or format.

I actually order CD's from online and pay postage to have them shipped.  I keep most of my CD's.

My wife has a lot of CD's and she got them from a CD club that give you offers.  These clubs still exist.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Thats another thing: The push is very much with music as it is with software towards "renting" rather than ownership. You pay to use a service for a given period of time. It's never owned by you.

This extends to plenty of electronic widgets too. You have a license to use it, but you don't have ownership to modify or tamper with it.

At the risk of being doctrinaire, remember that private ownership is for the people who own the productive forces, not for you.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;707579
What fallout?  :confused:

Do you have a link?

Sorry, missed your post earlier. If you recall Ben Hermans was one of the founding partners of A-Eon. Ben Hermans is no longer a partner at A-Eon. According to a post made on moobunny shortly before the split there was a boardroom argument and things got physical resulting in the split up, but as far as we know that is just a rumor.

What is not a rumor is, a while back A-Eon was re-incorporated in Cardiff, UK. Previously it was a CVBA incorporated in Belgium. The partners are now Trevor Dickinson and Matthew Leaman of AmigaKit.

Today:
http://a-eon.com/?page=about

Previously:
http://www.amigamccc.org/journal/1004aeon.htm
("The principals include Trevor Dickinson, Tony Moorley and Ben Hermans")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000
("A-Eon Technology CVBA in partnership with Hyperion Entertainment")

ChuckT

« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
Quote from: runequester;707859
This extends to plenty of electronic widgets too. You have a license to use it, but you don't have ownership to modify or tamper with it.

At the risk of being doctrinaire, remember that private ownership is for the people who own the productive forces, not for you.

I could use Verizon VZ Navigator and pay each day or I could use a dedicated GPS that I have been using for the last 6 years.  I might use VZ Navigator if I was in an emergency and desperate but the productive forces do not have ownership of me because there is always competition.  I watched a youtube video on how to change the battery in my Tom Tom GPS and I bought a battery off of Ebay for less than $9 dollars with free shipping.  My GPS was a gift and it could last ten years or more and major roads don't move so I'm pretty happy with getting GPS service for free.

We don't go to Mac (Star) machines (automated teller machine) that charge you .50 cents.

My wife only goes to the store and stocks up on items that are on sale.

If you don't do this, you will be out of money and won't have enough money to retire because you are paying a chizeler and honest market forces are always cheaper than a chizeler.  That extra money called discretionary spending is what you need to save for retirement.

I've also been watching Sears mowers on sale which aren't a real sale.  I watch the price of the mower for each sale and I'm laughing because a sale isn't a sale when the item is more expensive or the same price as it was all summer.  No sale for me.  I'll wait till October or January to see if the price is any lower but I'm not forced to buy.

I will continue to think outside the box.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;707860
Sorry, missed your post earlier. If you recall Ben Hermans was one of the founding partners of A-Eon. Ben Hermans is no longer a partner at A-Eon. According to a post made on moobunny shortly before the split there was a boardroom argument and things got physical resulting in the split up, but as far as we know that is just a rumor.

What is not a rumor is, a while back A-Eon was re-incorporated in Cardiff, UK. Previously it was a CVBA incorporated in Belgium. The partners are now Trevor Dickinson and Matthew Leaman of AmigaKit.

Today:
http://a-eon.com/?page=about

Previously:
http://www.amigamccc.org/journal/1004aeon.htm
("The principals include Trevor Dickinson, Tony Moorley and Ben Hermans")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000
("A-Eon Technology CVBA in partnership with Hyperion Entertainment")

Thanks.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2012, 01:04:33 AM »
Quote from: jorkany;707860
If you recall Ben Hermans was one of the founding partners of A-Eon. Ben Hermans is no longer a partner at A-Eon. According to a post made on moobunny shortly before the split there was a boardroom argument and things got physical resulting in the split up, but as far as we know that is just a rumor.

Lulz! Did anyone ever get along with Ben Hermans? :roflmao:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2012, 01:23:54 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;704966
Funny how some people can't understand why people like me have absolutely no need for a tablet.  How many tablet users only have a tablet?  Very few, I bet.

Yeah but then again "How many people really only have an Amiga One X1000?" Very, Very Few I bet.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2012, 01:36:29 AM »
Quote from: smerf;707911
Yeah but then again "How many people really only have an Amiga One X1000?" Very, Very Few I bet.
I dunno, but I can tell you which one's going to be easier to type on...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22:01 AM »
I absolutely dispise touch screens. Such a pain in the arse to type on. Give me buttons/keys anyday!

@Smerf. Stop being a cranky old fart! Also get your subscription fixed.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2012, 02:29:30 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;707913
I dunno, but I can tell you which one's going to be easier to type on...

Bluetooth keyboards say hi. :)   The case I have for my ipad has a full keyboard.  So I'm going to assume you meant the tablets(since they don't have usb issues and all).
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2012, 02:55:37 AM »
12 hours and the Australia Apple Store should allow me tol pre-order my iPhone 5.  64 GB, come to daddy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:46 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;707917
Bluetooth keyboards say hi. :)   The case I have for my ipad has a full keyboard.  So I'm going to assume you meant the tablets(since they don't have usb issues and all).
Oh yes, definitely I meant tablets. Why, with third-party solutions, you can make them almost as good as a laptop with weak hinges and a chiclet keyboard!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;707923
Oh yes, definitely I meant tablets. Why, with third-party solutions, you can make them almost as good as a laptop with weak hinges and a chiclet keyboard!

Or this thing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2191539/iTypewriter-iPad-gets-unofficial-typewriter-dock-mimics-pre-PC-days.html