Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!  (Read 30237 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
How about the "control" of this new windows? control of contents, privacy...
a1200 060

Offline psxphill

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
Quote from: whabang;712235
So basically, I need to set up my own CA, sign the application myself, and then install it using a non-standard method? Yeah, that'll improve conditions for open source programmers and the like.

Blame Apple, they proved it works.

Making a free delivery channel is like leaving your house unlocked in case you need to send a plumber round while you're out. The open source developers will have to learn how to fund their hobby, because nobody else should be forced to subsidise it.

Offline Sandman

• Show only replies by Sandman
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
**sarcasm alert**

At least they dropped their price, but sheesh they are still charging for their software?  It should be free how dare they charge for it!  Hell, when I go to work I don't always expect to be paid for what I produce, it might be too much in the eyes of some. Evil Microsoft......

Windows is crap anyways and will soon go the way of the dinosaur... How dare my company run all of their high-end engineering department on it. They should have chosen some light, efficient, obscure OS with a user base in the hundreds. Heck, even our beloved Amiga might someday rise from the ashes to become relevant again.

Sheesh sounds like my Amiga user group from 1992 - we're the same pathethic negative bunch today.  Its cool to critique the software but can we leave some of the Microsoft, and for that matter, Apple bashing back in the early 90's......  

My opinion only.... like everyone else here....

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »
Quote from: Sandman;712251
Its cool to critique the software but can we leave some of the Microsoft, and for that matter, Apple bashing back in the early 90's......  

I can quit bashing MS, but I'll quit bashing Apple when they pry the keyboard out of my cold dead hands.

Rectangle patenting SOB's.....

If you recall it was patent trolls that drove the final 50 nails into the C= coffin.

Apple is just plain evil, for hells sake they sue Preschools and a mom and pop grocery stores. Soon they will file a lawsuit against Jesus for referencing Apples in the garden of Eden. ***no sarcasm, this is what I actually believe***

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
Meh. Every big company is Evil. Google included. It's just that Apple is one of the largest tech companies now and as such one of the Evil-est.

Nevertheless Apple sucks, but still not as hard as Oracle. That company is a Deathstar sized vacuum of suck.

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
Quote from: odin;712259
Meh. Every big company is Evil. Google included. It's just that Apple is one of the largest tech companies now and as such one of the Evil-est.

Nevertheless Apple sucks, but still not as hard as Oracle. That company is a Deathstar sized vacuum of suck.

Oracle...

Poor, poor Sun... we barely knew ye...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;712212
What changed between XP and Vista being released is that lazy journalists started picking up online bitching and releasing it as news.
Didn't stop it from having a big impact on Vista's fortunes.

Quote from: psxphill;712222
For delivering apps to consumer tablets then having everything go through the app store is actually a good idea. It's worked well for Apple, the alternative is Android and it's not really worked out too well there.
Quote from: psxphill;712234
However making it hard to install unsigned apps is actually very important. Social engineering to persuade people to disable signing checks would make tablets very insecure.
Absolutely not. Windows is and has always been an open platform, at least in the area of third-party software development. We might all have a good laugh about "DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!" but the fact is that Ballmer was absolutely right, albeit in a completely apeshít way; any version of Windows lives or dies by its third-party support. Windows 95 was buggy as hell, but it captured developer loyalty quickly because it combined NT's easiness of coding (far less of a mess than Win16!) with a halfway-decent amount of backwards compatibility with existing software, and introduced DirectX, which made getting games to work on a variety of hardware much, much easier. Even Vista only saw a lot of what limited adoption it got because developers took a shine to DX10 and suddenly gamers had to switch if they wanted Bioshock to look as pretty as possible.

The Windows Store is a naked cash-grab on the part of Microsoft, at the expense of all of their third-party developers. Any talk about security is just obfuscation; they saw how much Apple was getting by screwing over iOS developers, and they wanted a piece of that pie. But the fact is that they're not Apple, they've never been Apple, and if they try to go up against Apple on Apple's home turf, they're going to find that they're not as good at being Apple as Apple. I think it's going to be their undoing. They want developers to switch to Metro and the Windows Store, so that they get more money, but they've left in the option for unsigned (i.e. old) software, because it would've been suicide not to.

Some developers might switch, but how many are going to decide that it's just not worth it? Some of them are already outspoken critics; Notch of Mojang has outright refused to take part in certification, and while Minecraft might not be huge in terms of purchase price and necessity, that means that every single Minecraft player who uses Windows 8 will be getting accustomed to non-Windows Store installation right off the bat. Other high-profile developers, like Valve, have expressed discomfort with the idea, and no friggin' wonder - you think they like being asked to bend over? Microsoft may very well have initiated their own developer revolt. Add to that the fact that Windows 8 already has more negative buzz before release than Vista did a year after, and who knows what's going to happen to it.

Quote from: psxphill;712243
The open source developers will have to learn how to fund their hobby, because nobody else should be forced to subsidise it.
And screw you, too.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:31:51 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:12 PM »
I don't have Windows RT, only pro, but I suspect Windows RT (what's on the Surface) will be locked down.  You can only run ARM metro apps on it, so none of the intel stuff will work anyway, so I suspect they'll use the opportunity to lock you into the Microsoft store....

Quote from: kickstart;712241
How about the "control" of this new windows? control of contents, privacy...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
Quote from: persia;712273
I don't have Windows RT, only pro, but I suspect Windows RT (what's on the Surface) will be locked down.  You can only run ARM metro apps on it, so none of the intel stuff will work anyway, so I suspect they'll use the opportunity to lock you into the Microsoft store....

Correct only RT is locked down. MS looked at the market, saw the mess of the open model that Android uses and decided to go with Apple's model. Though money is a huge part of it, it is likely that MS does not want their brand new tablet OS to be a virus riddled POS for people to take pot shots at. Closed market will stop 99.99% of virus creators.

As for the doom and gloom of MS making everything locked down, you can still install regular Windows apps on the traditional desktop. I think that the closed model sucks but I am a power user, as we all are here. For the general population it won't matter that you have to get Apps from the App store and App store only.

Time will tell if we see this new OS overthrow Android and Apple. It has a good chance of doing so as in some ways it is much better. They wrote RT from scratch, the performance is better than iOS and Android.

Anyways who cares, let's get drunk insted. :pint:

Offline psxphill

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
Quote from: persia;712273
I don't have Windows RT, only pro, but I suspect Windows RT (what's on the Surface) will be locked down. You can only run ARM metro apps on it, so none of the intel stuff will work anyway, so I suspect they'll use the opportunity to lock you into the Microsoft store....

I've not seen it, but supposedly there are arm desktop apps as well as what used to be called metro apps. You are however locked into the Microsoft store, until there is a jailbreak at least.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;712279
I've not seen it, but supposedly there are arm desktop apps as well as what used to be called metro apps.
According to the Windows-on-ARM overview Microsoft published, desktop APIs on WoA will only be supported for the packaged Microsoft software (Explorer, IE, Office.) Because, you know, yay double standards.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »
Yes, the RT ARM based devices such as surface can be locked because, well nothing but Metro Apps will run on the RT tablets anyway.  I suspect there is no legacy desktop on the Surface, because it would be useless, it only makes sense on the intel version.

Speaking of which, anyone care to guess what percentage of early Surface buyers realise they can't actually run anything but (the currently 200+) metro apps?  That they'll never be able to run those old Windows programs?  My guess is it's less than half, judging by the fud that's out there right now....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
Quote from: persia;712291

Speaking of which, anyone care to guess what percentage of early Surface buyers realise they can't actually run anything but (the currently 200+) metro apps?  That they'll never be able to run those old Windows programs?  My guess is it's less than half, judging by the fud that's out there right now....

FALSE: There are over 5000 apps in the app store at the moment. From that site over 5200 are compatible with ARM based RT.

http://www.neowin.net/news/report-windows-store-now-has-over-5000-windows-8-apps

Also the only people stupid enough to buy an RT tablet and think it is a full PC capable of running legacy code should have bought iPad's in the first place. Though for 70% of internet users a facebook app, angry birds, fruitninja and bubble pop is all they care about anyway. Therefore Win8 already has "more than enough apps"

Though be honest, if Win8 is going on every single desktop sold there will be more Win8 apps then any other ecosystem in less than a year.

MS development environments really make the other guys stuff look like a pile of **** to be honest. People will be pumping stuff out like no tomorrow.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »
Quote from: persia;712291
Yes, the RT ARM based devices such as surface can be locked because, well nothing but Metro Apps will run on the RT tablets anyway.  I suspect there is no legacy desktop on the Surface, because it would be useless, it only makes sense on the intel version.
The irony is that this was another blown chance for Windows to become a truly multi-architecture system and allow some variety in PC hardware design, just like NT/2000 back in the day. They've had an architecture-agnostic API for years now, and they clearly want to move into nontraditional hardware markets, but they keep screwing it up - first by doing nothing with multi-architecture NT outside the server market and pushing crappy WinCE (and descendants) on palmtops and other mobile devices, now by finally actually using the same API across multiple platforms, but intentionally nerfing it for anything other than tablet use by locking out the traditional desktop GUI.

I was actually hella excited for Windows 8, back when the first damn thing they announced for it was that it was going to be multi-architecture - man, I want computers to start branching out again. But then they went and showed us what Metro was going to look like, and my hopes, they were dashed...

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:37 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;712295
but intentionally nerfing it for anything other than tablet use by locking out the traditional desktop GUI.

No desktop GUI in Windows RT?

O'RLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GOyOqzLKRKg#t=73s

Though it remains to be seen if anything other apps can be used in desktop mode.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #74 from previous page: October 23, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
Quote from: partycentralpartygirl;712294
FALSE: There are over 5000 apps in the app store at the moment. From that site over 5200 are compatible with ARM based RT.

http://www.neowin.net/news/report-windows-store-now-has-over-5000-windows-8-apps
87 percent of those apps are free and 94 percent of the apps made for the x86 version of Windows 8 can also run on Windows RT.

I'm down with free-as-in-dollars software, but if 87% of what's in the Windows Store is free, then only 13% (688) are complex and/or good enough that the developers thought they could reasonably charge money for them. That says less "broad developer support" and more "shovelware," to me; I suspect a lot of Metro demo applications with things like stock tickers, etc. Interesting, maybe, but not what you buy a system for. (And nothing that's going to get Microsoft any revenue, either.) And of those 688 commercial apps, how many are productivity mainstays like Photoshop or other essential software? Are you going to buy a Windows 8 system and then find 4,500 free apps and 700 Angry Birds clones?

Also the only people stupid enough to buy an RT tablet and think it is a full PC capable of running legacy code should have bought iPad's in the first place. Though for 70% of internet users a facebook app, angry birds, fruitninja and bubble pop is all they care about anyway. Therefore Win8 already has "more than enough apps"
Contrariwise, why would anybody who needs what Windows RT offers not already have an iPad or Android tablet?

Though be honest, if Win8 is going on every single desktop sold there will be more Win8 apps then any other ecosystem in less than a year.
That's assuming that it is going on every single desktop sold - I don't know why it would be, when it's plainly not intended for desktop use at all. As far as I know Microsoft hasn't announced any plans to stop selling Windows 7 yet; even from the Wikipedia article, mainstream support is scheduled to end sometime in early 2015, and extended support in 2020 - and we all know how thoroughly the end-of-support has killed XP.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:45:22 AM by commodorejohn »