Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!  (Read 3999 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline takemehomegrandma

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;694566
Yeah, that's beginning to piss me off too.
Why do they insist I update if the new software is less reliable then what it replaces?


Simple solution, you *don't* do that, you simply replaces it with Chrome and feel the releif (or run Odyssey on MorphOS of course :)).
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)
 

Offline spirantho

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 12:11:47 PM »
Been using Opera for years now. IE is alien to me and just seems... not very good, and featureless for what I want. Firefox seems unreliable these days. Chrome seems good but again seems to lack what I want.

Opera has several features I'm used to - the built in mail client, the gestures, the speed... it's all what I'm used to, even though I use FF occasionally when I have to. Of course there are probably FF plug-ins that mimic Opera features, but FF crashes enough anyway....

Wish there was Opera for the miggy, that's all.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!
 

Offline jj

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 4040
  • Country: wales
  • Total likes: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
My thoughtsd on this.  I have to use IE9 to remote into work as none of the other browsers work correctly with our system.
 
However I used chrome for ages, but  it is very crash happy.
 
Used to use firefox back in the day, but it has become very sloe.
 
I quite like, ***gasp**** ****shock***** Safari
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
 
Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"
 

Offline takemehomegrandma

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;694567
the problems I have with it are the crashes on some websites and when it tries to stream stuff (bbc.co.uk/iplayer for example)


That site works like a charm here on Chrome 19.

I can't recall I have ever experienced a Chrome crash during the many years I have been using it (and I have really been using it *a lot*), but you seem have crashes all the time, so I'd say there might be some other problem with your system configuration...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)
 

Offline TheDaddy

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;694571
That site works like a charm here on Chrome 19.

I can't recall I have ever experienced a Chrome crash during the many years I have been using it (and I have really been using it *a lot*), but you seem have crashes all the time, so I'd say there might be some other problem with your system configuration...



LOL! :)

I just happen to have crashes with Chrome which I don't experience with IE on some sites.
And streaming seems better on IE that's all. :)
 

Offline takemehomegrandma

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;694572
LOL! :)

I just happen to have crashes with Chrome which I don't experience with IE on some sites.
And streaming seems better on IE that's all. :)


Just saying that both examples you put forward works like a charm in Chrome, no crashes, no glitches, nothing such, and if you are experience as many problems with Chrome as you say you do, then there might be something else causing it, that's all. Could be a lot of things ranging from weird SW Firewalls or anti spyware SW you hare running, misconfiguration of privileges or some other misconfiguration somewhere else in your system, whatever. Release versions of Chrome is very stable, top notch in all aspects, and if you can't even play that simple radio stream or that Moog doodle (they *are both* working in Chrome), then you *do* have a problem, and the way I see it, it's not a problem directly tied to Chrome...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)
 

Offline magnetic

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 01:09:46 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;694568
Simple solution, you *don't* do that, you simply replaces it with Chrome and feel the releif (or run Odyssey on MorphOS of course :)).


Sure feel the "relief" of Google increasing their file on you. At least FF and IE dont record your information.

Sure Chrome is fast as hell and nice looking but not worth it to give up your liberty to use it!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs
 

Offline ToddH

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;694576
Sure feel the "relief" of Google increasing their file on you. At least FF and IE dont record your information.

Sure Chrome is fast as hell and nice looking but not worth it to give up your liberty to use it!


SRWare Iron. It's Chrome without all the crap.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
 

Offline TheDaddy

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;694575
Just saying that both examples you put forward works like a charm in Chrome, no crashes, no glitches, nothing such, and if you are experience as many problems with Chrome as you say you do, then there might be something else causing it, that's all. Could be a lot of things ranging from weird SW Firewalls or anti spyware SW you hare running, misconfiguration of privileges or some other misconfiguration somewhere else in your system, whatever. Release versions of Chrome is very stable, top notch in all aspects, and if you can't even play that simple radio stream or that Moog doodle (they *are both* working in Chrome), then you *do* have a problem, and the way I see it, it's not a problem directly tied to Chrome...



What I am saying is that through the years I have noticed that Chrome sucks at some things and it does other things better than other browsers. This is not based on one day observation. And the doodle didn't work in Chrome on the very first day but it started working a few hours later.
 

Offline takemehomegrandma

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;694576
Sure feel the "relief" of Google increasing their file on you. At least FF and IE dont record your information.

Sure Chrome is fast as hell and nice looking but not worth it to give up your liberty to use it!


Use Chromium if you are that paranoid; that one has those accelerators (that I personally happens to like, as they learn my preferences and presents (and foresee) info according to this) removed AFAIK (or maybe I'm wrong in that). It's not like your surfing anonymously anyway (unless you take active steps to do so), President Bush Jr's legacy has brought us the perfect Orwellian society, not only in the US; they have enforced many kinds of repulsove legislation to all western countries, that in practice puts a wire tap on *all* Interenet (and telecommunication) traffic, *everywhere*, treating *everyone* as a potential terrorist. *That's* the big integrity problem with the Internet today, not that google tries to foresee and present me the info I want in a convenient way, by learning about my preferences, I'd call that a *service*. Google doesn't really know who I really am, as a real person, but the government(s) do (or could learn it quite quickly by some rudimentary database querys).

That's the way I see it anyway. But of course, feel free to use Microsofts products, if you really trust they are some angels in this context, and differs that much from Google. I think they are not, though. They are taking their "bing"-thing to a whole new level now, and walks in Google's footsteps in more than one way.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)
 

Offline takemehomegrandma

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
@ TheDaddy

OK, you have problems with Chrome, even with simple sites/things as streaming audio, and have had it for a long time obviously, while I have *never* had a  single problem like that (been using Chrome for many, many years), rather the opposite actually, it just works, with everything, everywhere, faster than anything else. If you think your problems and inabilities (like streaming audio from that BBC site, for example, which simply *works*) lies in the Chrome software and not in your own, local system configuration, then I digress...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)
 

Offline gertsy

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2006
  • Posts: 2306
  • Country: au
  • Total likes: 5
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;694582
@ TheDaddy

OK, you have problems with Chrome, even with simple sites/things as streaming audio, and have had it for a long time obviously, while I have *never* had a  single problem like that (been using Chrome for many, many years), rather the opposite actually, it just works, with everything, everywhere, faster than anything else. If you think your problems and inabilities (like streaming audio from that BBC site, for example, which simply *works*) lies in the Chrome software and not in your own, local system configuration, then I digress...


Tried Chrome for a while on this laptop XP, ran fine most of the time but had strange momentary freezes which turned me off.  IE8 on the otherhand has been very reliable.  Gave up on firefox years ago.
On Windows 7 IE9 is fast(with the accelerators) and reliable and easy to use.  Though I still prefer favorites on the LHS.
 

Offline cv643d

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;694555
:whack:

:quickdraw:

:uzi: :python:

So. There!

That browser alone are responsible for at least 50% of all world misery (yes it even tops Greece, who only comes in on 2nd place), it's bad, it's bloated, it can't do CSS3 properly, and it's generally evil. It must die, dammit!

:rant:


In a way I can totally understand your opinion, your personality is to find faults, compare the thing that has a fault and in public informing, sorry, screaming out to everyone how great you are because you know that thing is crap and you wont use it.

You say it is bad. IE6 was bad, IE7 is bad also, IE8 is maybe bad also but IE 9 is not bad. It loads fast, is nicely integrated in the best multitasking operating system in the world: Win 7.

You say it is bloated? Are you serious?! LOL someone bought the FF hype.

It is evil?! LOL, spinning the age old myth that MS is evil. I would bet IE is less evil than MorphOS is. At least there is not much IE fanboys needing to wave their e-penos in public seeking confirmation.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie
 

Offline TheDaddy

Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;694582
@ TheDaddy

OK, you have problems with Chrome, even with simple sites/things as streaming audio, and have had it for a long time obviously, while I have *never* had a  single problem like that (been using Chrome for many, many years), rather the opposite actually, it just works, with everything, everywhere, faster than anything else. If you think your problems and inabilities (like streaming audio from that BBC site, for example, which simply *works*) lies in the Chrome software and not in your own, local system configuration, then I digress...


As Gertsy says, there are some people who have problems with Google Chrome. Simple as that. Now IF it is my configuration or not that is not the point, I am not going to start troubleshooting everything just to make Chrome work properly, I just use IE9 and be done with it. For example I don't have crashes on any site with IE but I do with chrome, it comes up with "Ooops Chrome just crashed".

But Chrome is still my main browser because it's quick.
 

Offline gertsy

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2006
  • Posts: 2306
  • Country: au
  • Total likes: 5
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
I also turned off Chrome when I found out Google basically pay hackers to tell them of any security issues/holes in Chrome.  The proviso;  You don't get paid if you tell anyone else.  Fine product, shiftier and shiftier company.