Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation  (Read 40862 times)

Description:

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Re: Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Quote from: TiredOLife;691918
Well done to Barry for his stance on this.

We can't have people putting in anything that's actually related to the Amiga in an Amiga branded case.

That would just lead to madness.

Bollocks, they have done it for revenge as CTO Leo himself admitted.

The case was NEVER going to come with ANY logo, sticker or adhesives, that was to give people ideas...illustration purposes only remember?

Offline TiredOLife

• Show only replies by TiredOLife
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
I wasn't serious.
I was just having a cheap dig at their Amiga branded boxes running Linux instead of a real Amiga (like) OS.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
Quote from: TiredOLife;691921
I wasn't serious.
I was just having a cheap dig at their Amiga branded boxes running Linux instead of a real Amiga (like) OS.

I see... :)

My apologies then, without smilies it sounded like dig at me...this is stressing me out. :D

Sorry again...

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
Quote from: runequester;691901
It was decided as a vote in the CUSA factory in china/germany :)

Damn, forgot all about the memo, vote was supposed to be next to those OS4 notebooks.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline TiredOLife

• Show only replies by TiredOLife
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »
@TheDaddy

No worries matey, looks like you have been very busy.
Sit back and relax for a bit.
You will be busy again soon enough when you have to fulfill all those orders for your new case ;)

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;691784
Putting the Amiga trademark in promotional material, for what is intended as a product if there is enough interest, is still an issue.

That didn't seem to matter to any degree whatsoever when CUSA was using images and trademarks belonging to other people on the early CUSA website without permission.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »
@thread

just when i thought those florida guys couldn't do anything to make me think even less of them, they prove me wrong. well done.

@TheDaddy

do let us know the prices when you can. your case has more amiga spirit and passion in it than anything the chinese tat-rebranding crowd and their sycophants can, have, or ever will come up with. just notice the difference in community reaction. i'd love to see one 'in the flesh' at this year's amiwest.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline number6

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;691930
@thread

just when i thought those florida guys couldn't do anything to make me think even less of them, they prove me wrong. well done.

Just curious, but how different in your mind is this than when Ben also was forced to defend the Amiga Inc. IP?

It must be nice for them to just sit back and watch others take all the heat, eh?

Offline DarrinTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
Quote from: number6;691936
Just curious, but how different in your mind is this than when Ben also was forced to defend the Amiga Inc. IP?

It must be nice for them to just sit back and watch others take all the heat, eh?

Surely what The Daddy did was legally fine within "fair use".  The only issue I saw was that he should have stated somewhere in fine print that "Amiga" belonged to "Amiga Inc".
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;691937
Surely what The Daddy did was legally fine within "fair use".

Who decides that, you? A trademark has to be defended, period. Yes, as usual CUSA took care of it in the worst possible way, but there's no reason to make a major fuss about it. A decade ago, Ben Hermans prevented MorphOS coverage in German TV for the same reasons, AInc once wanted Amiga fan websites to officially license the name from them...

You're a moderator on AW - instead of moderating Franko for labelling other users as "scum" and "scumbags" (CUSA people are people too...), you congratulate him on "stepping forward" and then come over here to create even more drama ("Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation")...

FAIL.

@TheDaddy:

Congratulations on that case design. I'm not too keen on keyboard computers myself, but that's just an awesome achievement.

Offline DarrinTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2012, 08:10:49 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;691942
Who decides that, you? A trademark has to be defended, period. Yes, as usual CUSA took care of it in the worst possible way, but there's no reason to make a major fuss about it. A decade ago, Ben Hermans prevented MorphOS coverage in German TV for the same reasons, AInc once wanted Amiga fan websites to officially license the name from them...

Definately not you, that's for sure.  How about Amiga Inc?

You're a moderator on AW - instead of moderating Franko for labelling other users as "scum" and "scumbags" (CUSA people are people too...), you congratulate him on "stepping forward" and then come over here to create even more drama ("Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation")...

I congratulated him on offering to pay The Daddy's legal expenses.  This was an important news story to share, as witnessed by the responses here.  Plus, as a non-moderator on this forum I have more freedom to express my opinions.

FAIL.

Yes, you and C-USA have failed.

Edit:  In fairness, it isn't clear what I was congratulating Franko for and this was pointed out to me.  However when I went back to add the quote to the part I was responding to I discovered that the thread had been locked, and even I can't edit my own posts in a locked thread.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:23:52 PM by Darrin »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »
Quote from: dammy;691924
Damn, forgot all about the memo, vote was supposed to be next to those OS4 notebooks.

Please be decent human being with a little bit of shame for Leos behavior. Looks like Jealosy and bad mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkAcR_HHAsA

- AmigaOne X1000 was on sale before Amiga Mini (Amiga Mini suspended release of big $20 000 Amigas being CUSA top model)
- A500 case replica is done by Loriano (CUSA supsended any further new case plan)
- Its likely OS 4.2 and even MOS 3.0 might be out before COS 1.0 (Currently beta 8?) which at 1.0, will not be developed new os promised as COS 2.0 ... and might be Mint 11 (CUSA originally promised Mint 11 and Mint 12 Commodore edition)
- Even that Lime Z9 AmigaOS might be out before promised tablet and netbook Amiga devices by Amiga Inc and C=USA

And who then waits in wain and who works ass for small profit and who is laisy for big one? Problem with high profits its not the way capitalism in crisis works ...

About Loriano: It was unecessary intimiditation to eliminate any possible competition in name. Product is X500 and rest are stickers just as example of OS`s that can be run on hardware put inside. Under those terms it could be fair use, as Leo explained that Cloanto
"had good faith in them" or similar line. Seems Cloanto and Mint treat C=USA fairly, while CUSA beats the weaker.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:49:50 PM by vox »
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;691942
Who decides that, you? A trademark has to be defended, period.
A trademark does not have to be defended by people who don't even own it, and even if it did, Leo explicitly stated that this was an act of petty revenge. I don't see how TheDaddy possibly (though likely not) being slightly in the wrong in any way justifies Leo's actions.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline cgutjahr

« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;691948
A trademark does not have to be defended by people who don't even own it

According to the AInc/Hyperion settlement, Hyperion are entitled to protect the IP they licensed from AInc on their own ("...grant Hyperion the right and unconditional permission to enforce...") . Barry claims he has also been granted "the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP". That might be a bogus claim (like many of his other claims), but you or me certainly don't know if it is.

As AInc is certainly no longer protecting anything, it's up to Hyperion and CUSA to defend the trademarks unless they want them watered down so much that they get useless.

CUSA defending anything isn't a problem, and them being idiots about it isn't news. You guys just love hating them so much, that you can't stop talking about them.

and even if it did, Leo explicitly stated that this was an act of petty revenge.

CUSA sucks. I know that, you know that, Darrin knows that. People have been yelling about it, threatening them with ritual suicide or declaring war on them for two ******* years now.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
The truly amazing thing for me is that C=USA have completely missed an opportunity.

They sold some C64x's - not many, to be sure (going by the lack of activity on the official support forum) - but more than they will the Amiga Mini, because people aren't dumb enough usually to spend $1000 on a name - they need a USP (no, a name of a computer that died 18 years ago is not a USP to 99.9% of the world). Yet here they are and someone's done some really fine work in doing exactly what the Amiga community want - they've done something new, and relevant. Even people who dislike the keyboard computer are congratulating him on doing something so professional on his own and for his love of the platform, because they recognise the work done and respect the fact that he's doing something new.

Why aren't C=USA trying to talk to Lorriano and trying to license the design, or at least elements of it? He's done most of the hard work. If they did that they'd gain individuality, they could say they were helping a community member, they could say they were listening to the public. They could repair at least some of the damage they've already done. They would gain the all-important USP they need. Sure, only to a fairly small market, but they'd be a reasonable sized fish in a small pond - right now they're a very expensive minnow in a giant ocean of sharks.

I know where I'd rather be.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline cgutjahr

« Reply #134 from previous page: May 06, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;691944
Definately not you, that's for sure.  How about Amiga Inc?

See my reply to John. AInc doesn't defend anything these days - if CUSA is entitled to defend the IP, it's in their very interest to do so.

(not like this and not in this case, obviously - but that's no reason for this flamefest)

Edit:  In fairness, it isn't clear what I was congratulating Franko for

I really couldn't care less what you congratulate Franko for. He insulted other members, just go and fix that - it's your job, btw.