Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Raspberry PI  (Read 17866 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline runequester

  • It\'s Amiga time!
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2009
  • Posts: 3695
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
okay, you guys are mental.

I mean that as a sign of respect btw :)
 

Offline commodorejohn

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »
I wear it as a badge of pride ;)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
 

Offline MiAmigo

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:10 AM »
Quote from: JJ;681866
Just ordered one.  Seems up to a 30 day wait for them to get another delivery.
 
Model b - £30 nice :)


Adding Links to Website and Ordering Contact Info

(Amiga.org Staff)

Product Website

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Ordering

http://www.raspberrypi.org/contact-us


Got mine when they were originally introduced. Pre-paid, and waited several months for final delivery. Was it worth it? Don't know yet.
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »
I've just ordered a 512Mb version, I want to use my old 256mb one as a file server.

Offline MiAmigo

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2012, 08:01:08 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;711846
I've just ordered a 512Mb version, I want to use my old 256mb one as a file server.


I might sell mine - or give it away. I may need the money for another project.
 

Offline kickstart

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;711846
I've just ordered a 512Mb version, I want to use my old 256mb one as a file server.


Is still available or need to wait another batch?
a1200 060
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;711851
Is still available or need to wait another batch?
They are under continuous production now. RS are manufacturing in China, Farnell/Element14 are manufacturing in the UK, the lead time is about 3 weeks at the moment. But some people on the Pi forums are claiming that they are only waiting a week!

The only unit currently in production is the 512Mb model B (revision 2, which has an improved board layout, including a power back feed via a powered USB hub!).

I'm currently using mine to learn OpenVG (like OpenGL but for 2D graphics).

Offline tone007

  • sad moaning faced git
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 3238
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;711810
Lucky bastard!


Just realized, I've got a third DEC machine (Rainbow 100+ tower, very complete) buried around here somewhere, and I didnt pay a cent for any of the DECs (all separate, "free for the taking" Craigslist posts.)  I guess I am either lucky or in the right area for old DEC stuff.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever
 

Offline kickstart

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
@bloodline

Thank you for the info.
a1200 060
 

Offline bbond007

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;711846
I've just ordered a 512Mb version, I want to use my old 256mb one as a file server.


I just got my 512mb version today...

I have updated the Raspbian, overclocked  to 800mhz and split the memory 128/374...

So far I'm not very impressed with this device at all...

Very slow and unresponsive overall.

It misses mouse clicks and when your are dragging or resizing windows it seems to think you released the mouse button when you did not.

like using an Amiga mouse with a worn out button...

Hopefully RiscOS is more interesting...

Also, why could they not mount the USB and Ethernet flush with each other?

I guess you get what you pay for :/

update:
adding usphid.mousepoll=8 to the command.txt fixes the mouse

I also have a problem with the keyboard where keys don't respond or stick and repeat and the fix for that seems to turn my USB hub off and back on then the KB seems ok. Not found a better fix for that. I have to do that every time I boot it seems...

I think the Raspberry PI was designed to make 8-bit computers look good :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:50:45 AM by bbond007 »
 

Offline TheBilgeRat

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2012, 04:58:22 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;712382
I just got my 512mb version today...

I have updated the Raspbian, overclocked  to 800mhz and split the memory 128/374...

So far I'm not very impressed with this device at all...

Very slow and unresponsive overall.

It misses mouse clicks and when your are dragging or resizing windows it seems to think you released the mouse button when you did not.

like using an Amiga mouse with a worn out button...

Hopefully RiscOS is more interesting...

Also, why could they not mount the USB and Ethernet flush with each other?

I guess you get what you pay for :/

update:
adding usphid.mousepoll=8 to the command.txt fixes the mouse

I also have a problem with the keyboard where keys don't respond or stick and repeat and the fix for that seems to turn my USB hub off and back on then the KB seems ok. Not found a better fix for that. I have to do that every time I boot it seems...

I think the Raspberry PI was designed to make 8-bit computers look good :)


Crazy - my first gen with 256MB and no OC or ram fiddling seems to work just fine.
 

Offline bbond007

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #206 on: October 24, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;712399
Crazy - my first gen with 256MB and no OC or RAM fiddling seems to work just fine.


It was sloness issues before I OC or started fiddling with the RAM. The image by default only saw 256 megs of ram.

It is more responsive now with the mouse fix. The CPU was maxing out with any movement of the mouse.

The USB support just seems really poor. I have now tried it with 3 different KB with different results.

Cosair - keys misfire or stick and repeat. Totally unusable.

Logitech- same as Cosair but if you turn of and on the usb hub, the KB starts working fine most of the time.

Belkin - works perfectly. I just don't like the feel of the KB, its really cheapo.

Also, I find it really sad that none of the browsers from the image are capable enough to order the video codecs from http://www.raspberrypi.com.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:05:02 AM by bbond007 »
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #207 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
@Bbond

You seem to have some odd USB issues there... Issues similar to what I had with the pre-Raspbian distribution.

Make sure you have run "apt-get update" followed with "apt-get upgrade", which will do a system update.

Also why are you only running 800Mhz turbo? Try at the top setting first and only drop down if you suffer any stability issues.

Offline TCMSLP

Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
bbond007: I think you have something wrong somewhere.   My 256Mb Pi (and those of friends) all work fine with whatever keyboard/mouse we happen to have spare.  It definitely sounds like something isn't right there ...
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #209 on: October 24, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;712453
bbond007: I think you have something wrong somewhere.   My 256Mb Pi (and those of friends) all work fine with whatever keyboard/mouse we happen to have spare.  It definitely sounds like something isn't right there ...
Thinking about it, I suspect that bbond007 has a power supply issue... The Raspi model B needs at least 700mA to function and some keyboards/mice will try and pull much more that that.

I'm using a 1.2A (IIRC) supply, and have has no USB issues at all.