Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I received my Amiga 4000T and I am facing a problem with it...  (Read 3230 times)

Description:

Offline SACC-guy

Re: I received my Amiga 4000T and I am facing a problem with it...
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 26, 2011, 08:29:22 AM »
After reading your previous messages and looking at the pictures in the bay selling links.
You need a crash course in amiga.
The quote 1200 with highflyer endquote is a 4000Desktop in an expansion case.
the tower is also a 4000Desktop in another expansion case. The scsi drives might be flyer drives. Not system drives.

The amiga does not know cd drives without add-on software, several version available.
So...go step by step to make sure the basic machines are working.
It's possible that the external box was configured to be a system drive and cd drive.
It might have lost it's booting software?
good luck
m

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;672907
I have a little problem with my Amiga 1200D. I need someone to help me with this. In the Amiga 1200D that I got it have a SCSI expansion card installed into it...when I hook the external SCSI hard drive box with the CD-ROM the Amiga 1200 does not detect it all. No matter what I do it does not detect the CD-ROM or the HD from the SCSI cable. Another problem I am facing, it does not have a HD installed into it..but it takes like a complete minute before the kickstart screen appears, and the floppy disk does not work. However, ones the kickstart 3.1 screen appears and I place the floppy disk it takes 20 seconds after inserting the floppy disk for the Amiga 1200 to read the disk. However, when I soft reboot the system it goes into black screen and wait another one complete minute before the kickstart screen appears...but the disk drive no longer read the floppy disk even earlier it read it before. I do not know what to do. I want TO SOOO BADLY WHEN I USE the SCSI cable the SCSI CD-ROM works. Both the CD-ROM and HD are placed inside a PC case with a power supply and a long SCSI cable hooked into the back of the A1200 SCSI port.

but when I place a copy of Amiga OS 3.5 into the CD ROm my Amiga 1200 does not see it nor the HD either....I am torn!! I reaaally want badly to get my A1200 working. Thanks in advance!!

its normal having to wait for a minute if there is no hdd. you need to check scsi id and termination. connecting external scsi devices might be complicated. did it come with them? because (iirc) for them to work, you might need to disable the builtin external scsi terminator. better do that later. you should probably check the cables again, esp floppy.
btw, during those 20sec is there floppy drive activity?
Better sorry than worry.

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »
Quote from: orange;672919
its normal having to wait for a minute if there is no hdd. you need to check scsi id and termination. connecting external scsi devices might be complicated. did it come with them? because (iirc) for them to work, you might need to disable the builtin external scsi terminator. better do that later. you should probably check the cables again, esp floppy.
btw, during those 20sec is there floppy drive activity?

I got the floppy disk work, I opened it and replaced the cable and it works. The SCSI port is an add-on. It is a tiny little port hooked into the expansion card by attaching the tiny little port into the card's board and by screwing them together. How do I disable the builtin external scsi terminator? It doesnot have any switches or anything like that. How do I disable the terminator all together? Thanks in advance.

By the way the scsi port of the amiga 1200D is a tiny little board enough to fit in that space at the end of the SCSI port board are two holes when I attacht the scsi board into the expansion card then I screw them together that is how it works.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:58:04 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline orange

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;672940
I got the floppy disk work, I opened it and replaced the cable and it works. The SCSI port is an add-on. It is a tiny little port hooked into the expansion card by attaching the tiny little port into the card's board and by screwing them together. How do I disable the builtin external scsi terminator? It doesnot have any switches or anything like that. How do I disable the terminator all together? Thanks in advance.

By the way the scsi port of the amiga 1200D is a tiny little board enough to fit in that space at the end of the SCSI port board are two holes when I attacht the scsi board into the expansion card then I screw them together that is how it works.

i think you need to remove small board (shown here at the top:
http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/photo2.pl?id=a4000t&pg=5&res=hi&lang=en )
and then connect the internal cable 'directly'.
but i'm not sure..
tbh, I've never connected external SCSI to any Amiga.

btw, be sure to check the (audio) capacitors on A/V module, they've leaked on mine long ago
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:22:03 PM by orange »
Better sorry than worry.

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »
Quote from: orange;672951
i think you need to remove small board (shown here at the top:
http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/photo2.pl?id=a4000t&pg=5&res=hi&lang=en )
and then connect the internal cable 'directly'.
but i'm not sure..
tbh, I've never connected external SCSI to any Amiga.

btw, be sure to check the (audio) capacitors on A/V module, they've leaked on mine long ago

Orange, I am confused by that... ^ .. I dont think a4000T will work without the ports module... And I believe that termination means at the BEGINNING of the SCSI chain...

Anyway, for the 2 days that my 4000T worked, I had 2 CD-r drives on the Cyberstorm SCSI, and a 100MB Zip on the 4KT's built-in SCSI.. Had no issues.
Honestly, SCSI on a miggy isn't all that hard, usually..
YMMV, tho...
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »
before you take to pieces i suggest you boot of floppy disk if you have bootable copy of dopus if you dont i can make you one .

with 6 hds going make tricky to work out which is the boot hard drive the guy hasint made easy for you . am assuming you are not to fimilar with amigas ?

well the 4000 esp u chould try booting with no start-sqwence and just let machine do its thing for at least hour see just one the hd needs to check iself sounds like the boot drive is .. try listen for which drive making the sound and then try disconecting the others or just maybe disconect the power cables to them that way you wont get ide cables around the wrong way .

If you boot of a program floppy you can check what hds are showing up and check to see with hdstepup that your main wb partion well any is set to be bootable

if booting from floppy i whould not start pulling cards out the system willie nillie
how i blew up my amiga 4000 desktop well not to panic i shorted out the floppy and assuming did someting to the psu so always pull out the power cable or switch it of at the switch, i was in hurry had visters call in aghhhhh

the cdrom light always being on chould mean one ide cables is pluged in wrong side around try reversing it it wont damage anything if wrong so dont worry

the 4000 t is it scsi only or ide too i assume its both ?

if its just scsi system try booting from floppy as above steps

let me know how u get on
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »
At first I sold the A4000T to this guy on eBay and now he is screwing me over and he wants the video toaster instead. Arrgh!! it is a big lose. So I cancelled the posting for the video toaster waiting patiently for him to confirm it. But he does not want the Amiga 4000T anymore, if you guys are interested in the Amiga 4000T I will be more than happy to sell it to you guys.

Personally I just want the A1200D to work correctly it have a 68030 on it with 16 MB of RAM (sweet). I am waiting for my next cheque to arrive to pay the 2.5" HD I bought then I am going to have fun with her....I LOVE YOU AMIGA 1200D (sings)!! The disk drive is too old so it dies and return back working and then dies. It does not matter I have two external disk drives and they work just fine booting OSs and games.

So please guys buy this computer off my hand!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:56:49 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline stachu100

• Show only replies by stachu100
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;673013
But he does not want the Amiga 4000T anymore, if you guys are interested in the Amiga 4000T I will be more than happy to sell it to you guys.

I want A4000T!

PM on way! :)

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 04:21:57 AM »
Anybody else interested in a complete A4000 with a video toaster and a flyer you can go to this link here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260922207842?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Offline orange

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »
Quote from: marcfrick2112;672965
Orange, I am confused by that... ^ .. I dont think a4000T will work without the ports module... And I believe that termination means at the BEGINNING of the SCSI chain...

Anyway, for the 2 days that my 4000T worked, I had 2 CD-r drives on the Cyberstorm SCSI, and a 100MB Zip on the 4KT's built-in SCSI.. Had no issues.
Honestly, SCSI on a miggy isn't all that hard, usually..
YMMV, tho...

I understood that this terminator module that goes on ports module.
yes, but you need termination on both beginning and end. and there would be two chains, one internal and one external.
since most of us don't have external devices, it should have ending termination on by default.
   but perhaps termination isn't needed if there is no cable or device?
Better sorry than worry.

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
I visited the ebay link as invited.
I noticed several problems.

The 516 audio picture is in fact a newtek flyer.
The scsi card picture is in fact a newtek flyer...

If you have amiga items to sell, PLEASE identify them correctly!

amiga.org users please note, the ebay listing are INCORRECT !!!

BTW, the pics are terrible! Use flash!

Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;673013
At first I sold the A4000T to this guy on eBay and now he is screwing me over and he wants the video toaster instead. Arrgh!! it is a big lose. So I cancelled the posting for the video toaster waiting patiently for him to confirm it. But he does not want the Amiga 4000T anymore, if you guys are interested in the Amiga 4000T I will be more than happy to sell it to you guys.

Personally I just want the A1200D to work correctly it have a 68030 on it with 16 MB of RAM (sweet). I am waiting for my next cheque to arrive to pay the 2.5" HD I bought then I am going to have fun with her....I LOVE YOU AMIGA 1200D (sings)!! The disk drive is too old so it dies and return back working and then dies. It does not matter I have two external disk drives and they work just fine booting OSs and games.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:10:36 PM by SACC-guy »

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
It's also an A4000D in a tower, not A4000T.

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
Quote from: orange;673048
I understood that this terminator module that goes on ports module.
yes, but you need termination on both beginning and end. and there would be two chains, one internal and one external.
since most of us don't have external devices, it should have ending termination on by default.
   but perhaps termination isn't needed if there is no cable or device?

Orange, yes you are right.. I didn't phrase that very well. I only meant to remind about termination at the beginning, as some ppl. aren't aware of this... Sorry, my bad.

For terminating the end, there's a DIP switch on the back panel of the 4000T.

And I guess I am the only one still using internal AND external SCSI devices...
I tried fitting my scanner internally.... it wouldn't fit! :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:46:15 PM by marcfrick2112 »
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline orange

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »
Quote from: marcfrick2112;673162
Orange, yes you are right.. I didn't phrase that very well. I only meant to remind about termination at the beginning, as some ppl. aren't aware of this... Sorry, my bad.

For terminating the end, there's a DIP switch on the back panel of the 4000T.

And I guess I am the only one still using internal AND external SCSI devices...
I tried fitting my scanner internally.... it wouldn't fit! :D

ahh, I suspected the DIP had it. but guess it don't matter now since its desktop model.
as for the scanner, you can always get the internal professional film/negative one, to fit proper worldview :)
Better sorry than worry.