Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)  (Read 13034 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2011, 11:49:08 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;664931
IMHO, most of the users left in the amiga community that are remotely interested in "next gen" scene aren't likely to be the old game disk pirates of old. They all buggered off to the chipped console market years ago. What's left are genuine enthusiasts who I am willing to guess are mature adults with jobs.

the last sentence applies to me..but the pirate part does also.. lol.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »

But indeed, who didnt have pirated MacOS copies?

Die-hard MacOS fans ? Much like die-hard MorphOS fans ? ;)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
Quote from: itix;664942
I just think not everyone would buy MorphOS license if they were given a chance to use it without cost.
Well, to tell the truth, I was considering leaving a partition on the PowerBook G4 I'm getting for toying around with MOS, which I would've considered registering if I liked it. Now that I find I'm considered a potential pirate for even being interested, and that I'm not even allowed to transfer one license across machines? I don't think I'll be bothering at all. Not many alternative OSes want to be selling themselves on being more restrictive than Microsoft.

Good job, guys. Really sold me on that idea.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline ciento

• Show only replies by ciento
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:21 AM »
Whats so restrictive about letting users test/use Morphos in 30 minute sessions?
Can you download a trial version of 0Sex and do that?
Windows versions also have a built in time limit, any sane computer user
wants to  :hammer:  the whole thing in the first 30 minutes :)  Priceless.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 01:32:12 AM »
Oh, the 30 minutes thing is fair enough. But if I can't transfer a license from one computer to another when I sell it, then there's $200 down the crapper.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 01:40:15 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;664996
Oh, the 30 minutes thing is fair enough. But if I can't transfer a license from one computer to another when I sell it, then there's $200 down the crapper.

selling it of for $200 while you keep a pirate version... their claim was right, your a potential pirate.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 01:55:15 AM »
Basically. And if I can't legitimately use a product without being hamstrung, what incentive is there for me to not pirate it?

Offline A1260

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2011, 02:08:01 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;665000
Basically. And if I can't legitimately use a product without being hamstrung, what incentive is there for me to not pirate it?

your not being hamstrung. you buy it you use it as much you want. if you sell it your not allowed to keep a pirate version of it. this is not morphos only but also windows,mac os x and even amigaos. its called copyright law and same law for music and movies to... but i guess you pirated so much in your younger days on your amiga500, that you still think your being hamstrung if you cant copy it as much as you want to. maybe you should just stick to linux and freeware?, just a thought.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:06 AM »
A1260, why does wanting to transfer registration to an entirely different machine - therefore making the original registered copy of the software entirely inoperable in anything other than "demo" 30 minute form on the initial machine make a person a pirate?  Ludicrous claims out of some of you.  To reiterate:  User regs the OS on Mac #1.  User buys a better Mac to use, wants to transfer the OS license to the new Mac, therefore making the initial license entirely invalid on "Mac 1".  User keeps Mac 1 for OS X, Linux, or a doorstop, not that it matters much what he does with it, the end result being is "Mac 1" is no longer considered a MOS box.  How's that equal piracy in the least?

No one wants to invest in one machine/one copy of an OS that they may only use the HW short term, then either be stuck with a copy of an OS on something that's sitting in a closet.  Mac minis make great little linux servers, and that's what I keep 'em around for and will never sell a single one of them (and ebay is a PITA).

Again, read slowly:  some people have no interest in dicking around selling old equipment/SW license combos on ebay if they choose to upgrade to better HW.  When I buy a beefier Mac for MOS, there should be an option to decommission that copy on the now unused hardware, even if it's a pay for service for the reg transfer.  AGAIN - no one is wanting to run 1 copy on 50 different machines, we're talking OS locked to a particular machine.  If I want 10 MOS rigs, I'll register it 10 times and I always pay for what I use.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with piracy and tbh the implications are rather sad, lol.  How the concept of "1 copy paid for, 1 copy used" got so bent out of shape is beyond me.

I'm fine with MOS handling regs as they see fit, but this piracy babble from the fanboys, nah, lol.  I was very eager to start developing for the platform, but man - some of you guys sure can put a guy off with lack of logic.

ONE COPY BOUGHT, ONE COPY USED = PIRACY?  Sorry, your logic is retarded.

Offline A1260

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »
you buy a license to use the software, not to own it for good. you better start reading the little text on the paper that come with your software/product.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »
Easy solution: think long and hard about which machine you want to be your permanent MorphOS box before registering.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2011, 04:21:08 AM »
Quote from: A1260;665012
you buy a license to use the software, not to own it for good. you better start reading the little text on the paper that come with your software/product.
Which is why I won't be buying a license. Or bothering with the software, really.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »
I've been using the unregistered version of MorphOS on my Efika for a while now. I never paid the license fee because I've always intended on getting more powerful hardware to run MorphOS on when I take the dive and register it. In that time I've found it to be a dream to use, and I would far rather use MorphOS than any other OS like OSX, Linux, Haiku, RiscOS, or that other one from Microsoft. The only OS I maybe like more is AmigaOS 3.1, not because it's superior but because I just love and enjoy using it so much, and it has screen dragging unlike MorphOS. But MorphOS is awesome, it's got everything I want in an OS so once MorphOS 3.0 comes out I'll be using it for nearly everything, I can't see the Linux PC getting much use after that. Oh, this is my new hardware to run MorphOS 3.0 on come December:

I try not to let the grumpy developers turn me off using a wonderful OS. No one has really been able to provide a better alternative system to their current hardware-locking registration system so I guess we'll just have to put up with it for now. I'm sure that no one would have any trouble selling used hardware with a MorphOS license if they advertised it on the Amiga and MorphZone forums.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »
Quote from: Duce;665005
A1260, why does wanting to transfer registration to an entirely different machine - therefore making the original registered copy of the software entirely inoperable in anything other than "demo" 30 minute form on the initial machine make a person a pirate?

That is, you would remove key from your another machince while you are using it on another.

Ludicrous claims out of some of you.  To reiterate:  User regs the OS on Mac #1.  User buys a better Mac to use, wants to transfer the OS license to the new Mac, therefore making the initial license entirely invalid on "Mac 1".  User keeps Mac 1 for OS X, Linux, or a doorstop, not that it matters much what he does with it, the end result being is "Mac 1" is no longer considered a MOS box.  How's that equal piracy in the least?

By the way did you notice you have already got two copies of OS X?

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with piracy and tbh the implications are rather sad, lol.  How the concept of "1 copy paid for, 1 copy used" got so bent out of shape is beyond me.

Any idea how to restrict this to "1 copy paid for, 1 copy used" and not being shared to friends? I have no problem understanding what you are trying to say here but it just isnt possible. If it wasnt tied to one machine it would have to be tied to one user or just use generic key that works everywhere.

I'm fine with MOS handling regs as they see fit, but this piracy babble from the fanboys, nah, lol.

Hmm... I guess English speaking world is quite sensitive to pirate/piracy word. My apologizes.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;664950
Well, that certainly sounds less of a sweeping condemnation of new users, which was the bone of my contention.

I apologize my English speaking skills. It is sometimes geting me into trouble :-)

Offline itix

« Reply #74 from previous page: October 25, 2011, 06:46:57 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;664996

When selling the computer you are selling MorphOS license with it. If you manage to find new buyer interested to use MorphOS you may get at least some of your money back. So it is not a total loss.