Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How many Amiga users are left?  (Read 23827 times)

Description:

Offline Zero

• Show only replies by Zero
Re: How many Amiga users are left?
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
I use my Amiga everyday.
I listen to mods on it and watch a lot of demos.
As well as messing around in Workbench.

I would not like to be without my Amiga!
MorphOS G4 Quicksilver MDD

Offline saimon69

• Show only replies by saimon69
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
I have been an active AROS user, at least boot it once a week either on QEMU or on my wife netbook to test stuff; pity the health of my main laptop got worse lately and also sufferd an increase on the load at my work so lately am less active, hoping in tihngs improving in the future...

Saimon69

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »
* OS4.1, weekly
* WinUAE, less often
* classic, many many years ago

EDIT: voted second and pancakes options
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:19:50 AM by amoskodare »
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »
I study with interest the numbers of people visiting my website and last year it peaked at 17000 people from around the world visiting in one month. My graphical information from world visitors is from everywhere really so my guess there are a lot more people playing with them than you think. There are countries that I link to from the stats information that have active forums in some quite unusual countries which I can work out from the tags all have Amigas. So you never know...

I always like to say that I don't have 'one' Amiga to my name. You can probably work out why... :-)

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »
I use my Amiga daily especially my A1200 as for number i know of at least 5 people, 4 of which are active classic users that user their Amiga's daily BUT don't visit forums. I would put the figure to be at least 150-200 in Australia alone.
Also now that the A1200 is fully set up my kids like playing games on it as well, just got to set up the A500 and CD32 for them too so at least from my end my Amiga have a future with my kids.
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 01:32:24 AM »
Quote from: Retro_71;639839
I use my Amiga daily especially my A1200 as for number i know of at least 5 people, 4 of which are active classic users that user their Amiga's daily BUT don't visit forums. I would put the figure to be at least 150-200 in Australia alone.
Also now that the A1200 is fully set up my kids like playing games on it as well, just got to set up the A500 and CD32 for them too so at least from my end my Amiga have a future with my kids.

4 of your 5 Amiga using friends never visit any Amiga related forums?  That is very surprising to me, that they would not use a PC or Mac or Linux machine in addition to their Amiga (or the Amiga itself) to browse the Internet and visit at least one Amiga related website to read news and maybe a few forum posts.  I know that there are many lurkers on forum sites that do not like to post replies on the forums, but I figured most Amiga users were at least reading the news on one or more Amiga related websites on a regular basis.

I may have to re-evaluate my estimate of how many active Amiga users are left out there.  If your example is typical for many countries, there could be twice the number of users than I think there are.  Every Amiga owner/user that I know uses the Internet every day and visits Amiga forum sites, so my experience is very different than yours.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 03:17:17 AM »
I was surprised too but i asked one of the the one that love to make music why he said that he didn't have a need, he did say he looked at some but could not be bother to register.

I think there would be still a lot of users around you just have to look on ebay to see how quick Amiga's go and its not always the same people (not saying that ebay is the end all). I think number would be atleast in the thousands worldwide for classic still.. Heck i still use my c64 :lol:

But like you and other i really want the new generation to get into them too, for me i really am starting to dislike all these new PC games hence why I told mt kids that their play time is split between Amiga's and PC's.... :D yes i am sneaky.....
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 03:33:26 AM »
That is the kind of "sneaky" I can support whole heartedly!  Once they try them out and find out how good some of the game play is for so many Amiga games, they will not miss all the fancy graphics of modern games so much.  I have watched my Son play some X-Box360 games that have gorgeous graphics, but the game play looks so repetitive and boring after a while.  My Son uses his games as a big part of his social networking, since we moved a few years ago.  That way he can still keep in touch with his old friends and play games with them via the head set and micro-phone while playing several different kinds of games that support talking to your team-mates while playing.  He is 17 now (almost 18), and I never was successful in getting him to play much on any Amigas for more than a week before he headed back to the X-Box360, or PC games on his AMD powered Windows computer.  I hope other Amiga users are more successful at getting their kids interested in using Amigas, so there will be a new generation of Amiga users to replace us oldtimers.  I am still hoping that my Grandson will continue to show an increased interest in the Amiga, as he will be getting his own A500 from my collection as soon as they move into a bigger house later this Summer.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 03:47:24 AM »
This is interesting. We should set up a poll to determine if Amiga users use forums or not. Vote yes if you use forums to support you amiga hobby. Vote no if you never use forums, ever.

;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 03:51:02 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;639551
I was hoping to get some discussion on the question, but I forgot to include my estimates to get the discussion started, so here they are.

Active Classic Amiga Users = Less than 300 (that boot up often enough to fit the definition given in this poll).

Active Amiga-Like Users = Probably about 1,000 (that boot up often enough to fit the definition given in this poll).

Amiga Lurker's = I think there are probably still another 1,000 to 2,000 people, above the numbers for the two groups above, that are still interested enough in the Amiga to check forum sites, post message once in a while, and boot some kind of Amiga/Amiga-Like system once in a while.

With there being a lot of overlap between the first two groups, I am guessing that the total number of people still having any kind of active interest in anything Amiga is probably around 2,000 to 3,000 people (which is very sad).  The number of people that are likely to spend money on Amiga/Amiga-Like hardware and/or software purchases is much smaller, probably 1,000 at the most.  A very small market for developers and hardware manufacturer's.

@Ismart,

I would agree with your estimate for Germany being about 500 users that are still "Active", but I think that your 70,000 number is crazy.  Remember that I am asking about "Active" users who boot up and use an Amiga/Amiga-Like system at least once or twice "every" week and use it for at least 15 to 30 minutes "every" week.  Not just people that own an Amiga/Amiga-Like system and turn it on once a month or less.

The most active countries or areas that still have an interest in anything Amiga seem to be Germany, the UK, Poland and some other nearby countries, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, & the USA, with additional users still active in Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, Japan and maybe a few users in China.  So, I don't think we can assume that if there are 500 users still in Germany (or a few more), that there are that many in all of the other countries that the Amiga was sold, as it was not as popular in the other countries as it was in Germany & the UK.

I think that Sweden should be mentioned since there are about 10 people that I would call active. You got amidog that I think everyone here should know of, deniil and a few others that I can't remember right now. I think that AmiFTP (only AOS 4, I know) and DOpus 4 was ported but someone from Sweden as well. Some are AOS 4 only though like Björn Hagström who are involved in "Filer" for AOS 4. I'm sure that people visiting aw.net and amigans.net are familiar with Kicko as well. Norway and Finland got some users and developers too.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 04:30:17 AM »
I guess I can imagine it. If your interest is mainly the classics rather than post-commodore stuff, there's not a ton of discussion going on.

Prowl ebay for hardware and replacements and its all good. Check aminet occasionally. That sort of deal.

Offline Drummerboy

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 04:44:25 AM »
Daily Amiga Classic User.

I am posting from my A1200
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

Offline robo-ant

• Show only replies by robo-ant
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 05:26:18 AM »
OS4 is my main OS (used daily).  I rarely use my classic systems anymore.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »
Quote from: Drummerboy;639870
Daily Amiga Classic User.

I am posting from my A1200

Keep the flame :)

Offline Drummerboy

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 07:11:03 AM »
Quote from: runequester;639879
Keep the flame :)

You too! ;)
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

Offline MaximvsPayne

• Show only replies by MaximvsPayne
    • http://www.facebook.com/maximvs.payne
« Reply #59 from previous page: May 24, 2011, 10:10:46 AM »
aros! open source and multi-platform!
aros>aros>aros>aros>aros>aros>aros>aros

NEVER SURRENDER, NEVER GIVE UP

Free & Fresh AROS Distributions:

Icaros Desktop: http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/
AROS Broadway: http://www.aros-broadway.de/
AspireOS: http://www.arosaspire.org/