Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New to the Amiga world  (Read 9223 times)

Description:

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
Re: New to the Amiga world
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 11:50:50 PM »
As x86-PC, Mac, PPC, emulators etc.. not really is Amiga the way it was. Buy a real one or try the newer FPGA implementations:

Have a look here:
http://fpgaarcade.com/
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55885

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimig

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 05:40:17 AM »
I guess, the question is what does he want to do with his new "Amiga" ?

Just play a bunch of 20 year´old games ? WinUAE,WinUAE and again WinUAE....

Use apps of that time ? Still WinUAE .....

Use it as a "modern" computer browsing the web and stuff ? MorphOS on a descent Mac is the best choice here.

Just tinker around ? AROS,FPGA or even a real C=-Amiga (not to be mistaken with the current NotC=USA-crap) is what he should want.

AmigaOSXL is really 2fold:
AmigaXL, a port of UAE for QNX both 10 years out of date.
Amithlon, a much faster emulator acting like it is a full OS, but getting it to run on 2011 HW won't be easy and it won't make full use of it (as it's also 10 years out of date).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »
Little video (well quite long actually, sorry!) showing the current flavours of "Amiga" operating systems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RsvEm7UrU

:)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
Quote from: danwood;636698
Little video (well quite long actually, sorry!) showing the current flavours of "Amiga" operating systems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RsvEm7UrU

:)

Cool vid. A definite improvement on the one from 2009 (not that there was anything wrong with it) ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Templario

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »
Welcome to the club, as begginer you must to begin with AROS or 68k emulations and some day to give the step to OS 4 with PPC.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »
There are new kernels developed for amithlon in order to support more up-to-date hardware. Check the amithlon-open mailing list at yahoo groups.
And welcome aboard!
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline AmigaPixel

• Show only replies by AmigaPixel
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 08:18:16 AM »
It is always great to see new folks finding the Amiga!

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »
Quote from: RepoOne;636603
If you really would like to turn your PC into something a lot like an Amiga, as said, try X-Amiga.

http://www.xamiga.net/index.html

It's a lightweight Linux distribution that allows you to boot to an emulated Amiga system as soon as you turn your PC on, so it's like your computer is a very fast classic Amiga machine.

Sweet! I will have to try this for sure.

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:13 PM »
Quote from: AmigaChild;636558
Hi, I am brand new to the concept of Amiga.
Welcome to the world of Amiga :)
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:32 AM »
Hi, I am brand new to the concept of Amiga. To be honest I was born the year before Commodore filed bankruptcy, so I really had only heard of Amiga growing up. Recently in frustration, I had given up on linux, windows, and mac. They just don't seem to hold up to the standards of modern technology. So, I met a friend who had Amiga OSXL running on his computer and it was love at first sight.

This may be the wrong place to post this, but how do I go about running Amiga OS on MY PC.
                                                                             -AmigaChild:lol:

Hi.

Take a look at this video, it is very well good for somebody that has no touches w/ Amiga and is interested in it:

Why use Amiga in 2011? (AmigaOS 4, MorphOS, AROS, AmigaOS 3.9)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RsvEm7UrU&feature=BFa&list=PLFF161EC1E93885B2&index=12

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 02:47:15 AM »
Hi, I am brand new to the concept of Amiga. To be honest I was born the year before Commodore filed bankruptcy, so I really had only heard of Amiga growing up. Recently in frustration, I had given up on linux, windows, and mac. They just don't seem to hold up to the standards of modern technology. So, I met a friend who had Amiga OSXL running on his computer and it was love at first sight.

This may be the wrong place to post this, but how do I go about running Amiga OS on MY PC.

Hi,

To answer your question without telling you about AROS, MORPHOS, etc. Try using Cloanto's Amiga Forever. This uses winuae, which needs windows to run, (yes I know I read your post that you had frustration with windows, but this way if you don't like the Amiga OS system, you can always fall back to windows with no problem.

The first things I run on my computers (PC type) is Windows (XP, Vista, and 7) mostly for games, I don't really trust it for anything else. The second thing I put on my system is Ubuntu (now on 11.XX) really don't like 11 as much as I like 10.10, but will try it for awhile. Then after I put on Ubuntu, I go back to windows and install Cloanto's Amiga Forever. Now sitting right next to my PC is an Amiga 4000, it has been running since 1992 and really keeps all my important information, it has been stable since 1992 and has only lost information once when I typed in format drive (you guessed it I erased my system hard drive) but I always kept a system backup on my work drive and had it re-installed in about 10 minutes.

I am currently looking for a system that will be stable as Amiga OS was, and so far Ubuntu has been taking up most of my new information. It has not crashed for the past 5 years and seems to be the system that I will go to.

So remember the following:

1. Don't ever listen to Karlos, he is a big bully, and is a total disaster.
2. I like Cloanto's Amiga Forever, take a look at it at their web site. (http://www.amigaforever.com)
3. Watch out for Franko, he gives good advice, no matter what anybody says.
4. Piru, is usually a great help and a very nice person.

5. Welcome to the looney bin of Amiga.org. Your source of argumentative information about Amiga. We will argue about anything, anywhere at anytime.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 03:19:47 AM »
Quote from: smerf;637499

So remember the following:

1. Don't ever listen to Karlos, he is a big bully, and is a total disaster.
2. I like Cloanto's Amiga Forever, take a look at it at their web site. (http://www.amigaforever.com)
3. Watch out for Franko, he gives good advice, no matter what anybody says.
4. Piru, is usually a great help and a very nice person.

5. Welcome to the looney bin of Amiga.org. Your source of argumentative information about Amiga. We will argue about anything, anywhere at anytime.

smerf

I disagree.

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
" Welcome to the looney bin of Amiga.org. Your source of argumentative information about Amiga. We will argue about anything, anywhere at anytime."

That about sums it up!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
Quote from: AmigaPixel;637538
" Welcome to the looney bin of Amiga.org. Your source of argumentative information about Amiga. We will argue about anything, anywhere at anytime."

That about sums it up!

Nonsense. We don't argue about anything. GRRRR... :madashell:

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »

It's nice to see that even young people (not that I'm feeling old, but I'm not teen anymore :)  ) get in touch and appreciate Amiga: it's a way of confirming that our passion and "integralism" :)  is not ONLY due to nostalgia or so; there's more under the bonnet!

Well, as someone pointed out, firstly put in your mind what are you gonna do with your "Amiga-like" system: depending on this, the community will tell you the right way to go (real hardware, emulation, x86 Amiga flavours, PPC systems, etc.).

The Amiga world is special, but needs some thinkering for getting near today's "computing requests".

BY!

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 13, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;637539
Nonsense. We don't argue about anything. GRRRR... :madashell:

An argument isn't just contradiction!