Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21639 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #209 from previous page: January 12, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;605594
I'm not saying that I wouldn't LOVE to get ahold of an "Amiga on a Joystick" type thing, if I could just convince Jeri to get off her proverbial butt and make one, but I'm not delusional enough to expect the next revolutionary platform to have an Amiga sticker on it.

That doesn't explain why we should be happy about a butt ugly PC +Linux UAE combo for a huge markup.

I think I speak for all intelligent true Amigans when I say better to have nothing ever again than see that name on such an abomination.

If it doesn't have OCS/AGA chips and the faclity to play my original Cinemaware floppy disks it ain't a real Amiga anyway ;)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605976
Penny stock scam again?

What ticker symbol??
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;605970
I wouldn't really be bothered if you did tbh, but medical science and it's practical application works for the most part, it's really not up for discussion. The whole point was about a single claim you made, which it turns out is incorrect. That's all.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on that point. I can think of a handful of drugs that don't require dosage per body weight consideration, but most do and the way its done is more primative than the same considerations in Animal Science,.

And I'll imagine they'll vary still more over time, at least on this one particular issue. But it's all good and part of life's rich tapestry.
Oh this debate will rage on for some time, but things aways do seem to improve, so I'll agree it IS all good.

Whilst I fully respect the above may well have been a powerful influence on your view of the entire medical profession, I think perhaps you might want to look further afield to develop a broader view of it all. I don't do anecdotal evidence. Nor do I base my views on individual incidents, bad choices are made that way. YMMV
You are right that anecdotal evidence is a poor basis for a valid analytical decision. But when it comes to medical professionals,  we don't have much else to go one (when a Dr. only loses his/her license due to multiple grievous mistakes and the industry is so close mouthed),  Generally, I'll give someone in the profession the benefit of the doubt, but I temper that with a healthy skepticism about placing my faith in any mere mortal.

BTW - What do you think of CUSA and their website? :)
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Tuxon86

• Show only replies by Tuxon86
    • http://www.amiga-alive.com
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;605980
What ticker symbol??

they must be present on one of the Caribbean island stock exchange :)
Atari 800XL & 130XE, C64, A1000, A500, A2000

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;605981

The first one was miserable... This one is much better, but still really not "up there" with the best. But, I did hear that a completely new web page is a good probability in due time.

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2011, 12:35:48 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;605978
That doesn't explain why we should be happy about a butt ugly PC +Linux UAE combo for a huge markup.
Agreed, but I have to draw a parallel between your PC/Linux/UAE combo and paying well over a thousand dollars for buggy, out-dated, beta-level PPC hardware, even if it is new and running an OS without any hope of new software development.

Ok, ok, I'm sorry, I know.  I'll shut up now.  The PPC argument doesn't sway many around here who're determined to stick with it.  I just wish AROS would have taken off, or even been picked up as the official OS instead of the dead-end PPC 4.x...

Nothing new here, so why do I find it so impossible to shut up about?  Guess I'm still passionate about something Amiga after all, even if I am on the minority side.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline nicholas

« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2011, 12:40:27 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;605985
Agreed, but I have to draw a parallel between your PC/Linux/UAE combo and paying well over a thousand dollars for buggy, out-dated, beta-level PPC hardware, even if it is new and running an OS without any hope of new software development.

Ok, ok, I'm sorry, I know.  I'll shut up now.  The PPC argument doesn't sway many around here who're determined to stick with it.  I just wish AROS would have taken off, or even been picked up as the official OS instead of the dead-end PPC 4.x...

Nothing new here, so why do I find it so impossible to shut up about?  Guess I'm still passionate about something Amiga after all, even if I am on the minority side.

Wayne

See my sig.

AROS *is* the official Commodore Amiga OS5.  We own the rights to the names in all non-aligned countries and a few more.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;605985

Wayne

Damn, I've been as willing to give CUSA the benefit of the doubt, But I do feel PPCs are more closely related to the general concept of legacy Amiga's than any X86 design. X86 processors don't even have the same endian design. PPC, ARM? I could deal with those. Not having the right to call it an Amiga? I can deal with that (especially if an 'Amiga' is now a Wintel machine). But giving up and surrendering.
No f'ing way.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2011, 01:04:30 AM »
If you guys called that piece of sh8t Teron aka "Amiga1" motherboard an "Amiga" you surely should call this atom based unit one, especially since the brand name is owned by them!

@ Wayne

I've been loving your comments you should post more often.. : ) The real problem with OS4 project is like you said, no possibility of new software.. as it is it took a Morphos Developer (Fab) to help out with the os4 port of OWB after a main OS4 developer (joerg) abandoned it!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2011, 01:22:49 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;605991
@ Wayne

I've been loving your comments you should post more often.. : ) The real problem with OS4 project is like you said, no possibility of new software.. as it is it took a Morphos Developer (Fab) to help out with the os4 port of OWB after a main OS4 developer (joerg) abandoned it!

well there's been some great new software and ports coming out lately...Hollywood, Blender and Timberwolf to name a few.  As for Fab helping out kas1e on the OWB port..yes that's great as a temporary small gap but I'm sure most of us are awaiting the final release of Timberwolf with much more excitement ;)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;605994
well there's been some great new software and ports coming out lately...Hollywood, Blender and Timberwolf to name a few.  As for Fab helping out kas1e on the OWB port..yes that's great as a temporary small gap but I'm sure most of us are awaiting the final release of Timberwolf with much more excitement ;)

Why?  Firefox is a bloated piece of crap.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2011, 01:37:33 AM »
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on that point.

I can live with that.

Generally, I'll give someone in the profession the benefit of the doubt, but I temper that with a healthy skepticism about placing my faith in any mere mortal.

Fair enough.

Honestly? A bit "meh". I neither like nor dislike it, when I saw the revamp I realised that after all the nonsense that had gone on, I really didn't care about them. Their product range if it ever ships on some fronts looks mildly interesting, although I'll be blunt and say that an all in one keyboard style unit simply doesn't do it for me, it never did even when I had a wedge 1200. The case for their big box system looks the business however.

That said my next computer purchase is likely going to be something like an older shoebox pc (like a first gen AMD64) that I can use a media server/nas/mucking around. For "desktop" use I'll likely stick with my Asus F5 and replace it with another 17ins laptop when the day arrives, for portable I have my EeePC 701 which goes everywhere with me which I'll again get another netbook when it gets retired.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline klx300r

« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2011, 01:40:33 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;605995
Why?  Firefox is a bloated piece of crap.

hey that's fine...you probably like Apple products too I bet...fine for you & to each his own etc.

FF has been my main browser on my notebook since it came out....the Apha release for AmigaOS4.1u2 is lightning fast..actually faster than my PC so can't wait till the final release is here !

Offline nicholas

« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2011, 01:42:54 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;605997
hey that's fine...you probably like Apple products too I bet...fine for you & to each his own etc.

FF has been my main browser on my notebook since it came out....the Apha release for AmigaOS4.1u2 is lightning fast..actually faster than my PC so can't wait till the final release is here !

I've used Firefox since it was called Phoenix.

It's a bloated piece of crap.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2011, 01:43:57 AM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605835
Let's see

custom cases
custom packaging(thread over at C-A.org)
custom Linux distro(with a possibility of becoming a custom OS in the future)
possible app market

sure seems like a lot of sticker slapping, doesn't it?

Yup it does. There's nothing new here, nothing I don't already have, nothing new I can't already buy or download. I can even make my own case too if I chose. I don't. They do have a cute little C64x clone case that will appeal to a market and I wish them well with that.

I'm totally lost with the rest of your fan-dom though. "Hoo-ray some company selling things named Amiga *might* make a profit! The rest of you are foolish for not cheering too."

At no benefit to the other products (hobby or not) we prefer to engage in. Perhaps you're campaigning to be their marketing director?

Plaz

Offline klx300r

« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2011, 01:48:56 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;605998
I've used Firefox since it was called Phoenix.
It's a bloated piece of crap.

ok then perhaps you can team up with AI & CUSA to make a better web browser for your Workbench 5 iranian version eh...I'm sure many of us here will be waiting:razz: