Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's not fun any more  (Read 7209 times)

Description:

Offline Tuxon86

• Show only replies by Tuxon86
    • http://www.amiga-alive.com
Re: It's not fun any more
« Reply #89 from previous page: January 09, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;605203
I fret about if the next time I turned my Amiga on would be the last. So I sold my real Amiga's and run emulation, and Aros. I don't really care about if pc hardware dies, I've got tons of it and it is cheap.

I'd definitely take another miggy if it was dropped in my lap... maybe I'll check ebay and see if a 1200 will drop in my lap :)

And why should it die just like that?

A few busted caps is about the worst that could happen and a few $ and a couple of minutes with a soldering iron and it is up an running for many years to come. You can even do it as a preventive measure.

Contrary to the PC, the Amiga is serviceable. The PC is disposable technology.
Atari 800XL & 130XE, C64, A1000, A500, A2000

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2011, 07:25:18 AM »
Its not fun when I look on ebay and I see a dungeon master disk and manual, no box, going for 48 dollars.  Or a dude trying to sell his 3000 without the zip ram, cos he's selling them separately for 200 some bucks.  Or a blizzard PPC card for a 1200 going for 600+ dollars.  It's so random the pricing points.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2011, 08:39:13 AM »
Quote from: Selles;605012
Try going back to an Amiga 1000, 500, or 2000, then it will be fun again. Whenever people "upgrade" their Amiga computers to be more like a modern PC, that is when they nolonger have an Amiga computer.

Try hooking up a stereo system to an Amiga 2000. Run Protracker, load up some cool mods and "turn up the volume".

Or load up F/A-18 Interceptor and "turn up the volume".

Or hook up a stereo system and cassette recorder to an Amiga 2000, run Protracker and record your favorite mods to cassette tapes, then hook up the cassette recorder/player to your PC sound card's line in jack and record those mods on your PC. Then burn Amiga mod audio CDs and play them in your car while cruzzing. Do not forget to "turn up the volume".

Try watching animations that were created on the older Amiga computers ( pre 1990 ).

Try playing the Amiga versions of Ultima V or VI from start to finish (bet you can not do it). Or try playing the Amiga version of Star Flight, a role playing sci-fi adventure game that took over 15 years to produce.

Try the old Video Toaster 2000 system with the VT 2.0 software.  See if you can do the Star Trek transporter effect.  Make a music video of your friends or family.  Create a short movie or your very own sit-com.

Try Genlocking text and graphics onto your family videos.

DO NOT GIVE UP. There are plenty of things to do on an Amiga computer, just as long as it is not an "upgraded" one. :)

So you're saying that if someone with an a1k/a2k decides to use thier zorro slots they suddenly have a pc ? Some of the most popular zorro based cards are based on "pc" graphics cards (cv64/cv643d/picasso4/etc for example)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
Quote from: Selles;605012
DO NOT GIVE UP. There are plenty of things to do on an Amiga computer, just as long as it is not an "upgraded" one. :)

Yes, because as we all know, adding increased CPU power, more memory, network, RTG etc actually means you can do less :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »
In recent years, I've used my classic machines more, rather than less, thanks to their being upgraded with basic facilities like network access.
int p; // A

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;606376
In recent years, I've used my classic machines more, rather than less, thanks to their being upgraded with basic facilities like network access.

I get what he means, when you start buying £1000 PPC cards for £400 A4000/030s etc etc you still will be limited with something as simple as browsing certain modern websites with problems. So more is less as he kind of says.

I do still have plenty of fun with Dpaint AGA and ALL my website pixel art is possible on a stock A1200 to be honest. So depends on your point of view really.

Whether you play Amiga game soundtracks via one of those MP3 compilations or on an actual Amiga using the original MOD file is going to make no difference to enjoying the awesome Amiga catalogue of music available too :)

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;606410
I get what he means, when you start buying £1000 PPC cards for £400 A4000/030s etc etc you still will be limited with something as simple as browsing certain modern websites with problems. So more is less as he kind of says.

I get what he says too...KISS principle.  Keep it simple.  Sometimes people can miss the elegance of a basic Amiga setup.  You define your parameters more simply and take huge advantage of what can be done in those parameters.

Like look at the C64 scene...they have (mostly) a single, unchanged hardware setup that has remained the same across decades and millions of computers, and they've stretched it to the limit to do amazing things.

The more bits and bobs you add to your Amiga, the less compatible you make it with other Amigas and the more likely the house of cards is to fail.

I'm not against an expanded Amiga....I had an A2000 that was expanded almost to the maximum....but it became a real headache to keep running after a while, and I knew that when some of the rarer bits of hardware failed, I would have no way of replacing them.  Whereas with a stock Amiga (maybe with a common 1/2MB RAM expansion and a simple hard drive) it's easy to find replacement parts.

A stock Amiga can really do a LOT of stuff if you stop trying to think about it as having to do everything a modern PC or MAC does and instead think of it as a creative tool for specific, unique uses....like a game programming platform (AMOS), or a pixel-art studio (DPAINT), or a music composition machine (Trackers).

Sometimes more is less.  For instance....I record music.  Back in the 1980s/90s I had only a simple setup that could do MIDI and I had to bounce tracks between two cassette tape decks to do overdubs of real instruments.  Sometimes I rented a cassette four-track but that was IT.  Still, I recorded tons of stuff and used that technology to its maximum.  

Now I have a computer on my desktop that can record 128 tracks of audio, has about 100 effects to choose from, and can do more than most professional recording studios could do in the 1980 or early 1990s.  But does that immense choice help me be more productive?  Unfortunately no.  Sometimes I find myself just overwhelmed with the amount of choice.  I am constantly tweaking effects, timing, EQ, latency settings, etc. instead of doing actual music composition.  I think a lot of musicians have experienced this.

Like I said in another thread, sometimes I feel like setting up a plain Amiga 500 again with a simple MIDI sequencer and a couple synths and drum machine and just go at it, writing music rather than tweaking.

I still love DAWs and expanded Amigas....I just am finding simple systems more and more beautiful now rather than disdaining them like I used to.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:59:45 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com