Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Extra Half Brite games?  (Read 6369 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_NutTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
Extra Half Brite games?
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »
Can't remember very many of these, in fact only Bullfrog's Fusion comes to mind and it had scrolling as jerky as an Atari ST too :(

Any other commercial 64 colour Amiga games?

(copper gradients excluded in colour count, only those running in proper EHB mode)

Offline Khyron

• Show only replies by Khyron
Re: Extra Half Brite games?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:02:45 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;590393
Can't remember very many of these, in fact only Bullfrog's Fusion comes to mind and it had scrolling as jerky as an Atari ST too :(

Any other commercial 64 colour Amiga games?

(copper gradients excluded in colour count, only those running in proper EHB mode)

A partial list of "supposed to" be

EHB
Agony
Black crypt
Dessert Strike
Conquest of the Longbow
Lionheart
John Madden Football
Simcity
Pirates
Elysium
Defender of the crown II
Gloom Deluxe
Abandoned Places 2

HAM
Links
Knights of Crystallion
Pioneer Plague
Labyrinth of time

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
Quote from: Khyron;590399
A partial list of "supposed to" be

EHB
Agony
Black crypt
Dessert Strike
Conquest of the Longbow
Lionheart
John Madden Football
Simcity
Pirates
Elysium
Defender of the crown II
Gloom Deluxe
Abandoned Places 2

HAM
Links
Knights of Crystallion
Pioneer Plague
Labyrinth of time

Thanks for the list. Isn't Agony and other parallax games just using 6 bit planes in stock dual playfield mode? Agony doesn't look like 64 colours bobs + copper lists really. Lionheart used another trick to get round the 16+16 foregroung/background limit too I believe.

Offline Khyron

• Show only replies by Khyron
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 04:35:42 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;590402
Thanks for the list. Isn't Agony and other parallax games just using 6 bit planes in stock dual playfield mode? Agony doesn't look like 64 colours bobs + copper lists really. Lionheart used another trick to get round the 16+16 foregroung/background limit too I believe.

Most likely, I haven't got round to trying them all myself yet to actually see if they're EHB, Agony, Lionhart I didn't try at all.. and Pirates was reviewed as EHB, but my from my memroy of it I don't really remeber if it actually was..the rest should pretty much be EHB..

There's still a few others.. one more just came to me, Wing Commander ECS is also probably EHB as well.. I was making a list of all the EHB/HAM games, based on what I remeber/rumors etc.. but can't seem to find it.. If I do find it I'll add in the rest.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 04:54:49 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;590402

Actually it's 8 + 8 for ocs/ecs. Only AGA has 16 + 16  (3bitplanes (8 colors) + 3 bitplanes per playfield or 4bitplanes (16colors) + 4 bitplanes) respectively). It wasnt uncommon however to use 16+16 colors for ocs/ecs, but its not dual playfield mode, rather just a way to save some chipram (data is in 4bit color this way wather than 5bits).

*edit*
Heh,... bizarre. I was going through this thread again and noticed the typo of "wather" instead of "rather". Clicking edit however and the text actually reads "rather". I've also had some problems with the layout being different in the thread than it was typed and appears when you click "edit". Has anyone else encountered any of these strange glitches? Or is this maybe a bit too off topic to so as to warrant a seperate thread ?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:31:37 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 05:28:14 AM »
Fightin' Spirit uses Extra Half-Bright mode, and Covergirl Strip Poker uses HAM6.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 05:57:06 AM »
IIRC, "Death Mask" uses EHB, and I purchased a Denise upgrade to play this game.

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »
if I remember correctly, adventure game called "Universe" was supposed to have many colors even on standard nonAGA Amigas.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 07:58:41 AM »
Quote from: orange;590442
if I remember correctly, adventure game called "Universe" was supposed to have many colors even on standard nonAGA Amigas.

I remember at the time, Universe was said to use a special, carefully chosen HAM6 palette, that did not cause fringing. I'd like to know more about that.
Wasn't Labyrinth of time in HAM as well?

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
Wasn't Settlers using EHB to produce the shadows of the men, flags, buildings etc? I can't remember if it was OCS or ECS compatible...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:37:16 AM »
Quote from: Khephren;590443
I remember at the time, Universe was said to use a special, carefully chosen HAM6 palette, that did not cause fringing. I'd like to know more about that.
?

I remember magazines at the time reporting they used 256 colors even on ocs/ecs machines, although dont recall them saying it was HAM. Im not saying you're wrong, I've just always been curious about how the got so many colors on ocs/ecs :-)  I'd always put it down to changing color registers multiple times with a base of 64 colors, but that was just a guess.

I used to enjoy reading interviews with developers in the old c64/amiga magzines. Would be good if AGTW or someone interviewed some of the developers of Amiga software that used the hardware in creative ways in my opinion  :-) (assuming theyre contactable).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;590449

I used to enjoy reading interviews with developers in the old c64/amiga magzines. Would be good if AGTW or someone interviewed some of the developers of Amiga software that used the hardware in creative ways in my opinion  :-) (assuming theyre contactable).

Definetly, think about all those skills and tricks they took with them when they left, i'd love to know some of the secrets, even though I can't code!

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:09 PM »
E-Motion was HAM, too.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;590434
Fightin' Spirit uses Extra Half-Bright mode........

Interesting, only have the AGA CD32 version so will track that down and see what the speed is like compared to stock 32 colour OCS/ECS Shadow Fighter.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;590449
I remember magazines at the time reporting they used 256 colors even on ocs/ecs machines, although dont recall them saying it was HAM. Im not saying you're wrong, I've just always been curious about how the got so many colors on ocs/ecs :-)  I'd always put it down to changing color registers multiple times with a base of 64 colors, but that was just a guess.

I'm pretty sure the 256 colour graphics of Universe was achieved using palette switching on the fly per scan-line but still using non-HAM screen mode on non AGA machines. In fact wasn't it identical graphics for both?

Could be wrong, but see if I can dig up some blurb on it from one of my Amiga mags.