Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 60308 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #134 from previous page: February 20, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;671600
...To be fair, this was in their very early days when they probably hoped to use AROS on their C64x.  Shortly after they got into a pissing match over it and stated that AROS wasn't suitable (in other words, they couldn't get it for free or have people work on drivers for free).

Actually, that's not fair.
I talked to Barry when he was still considering AROS and he asked me what I thought.
I (and others) told him it wasn't complete and stable enough.

Come on guys. Its neat for us hobbyists, but it hasn't reached 1.0 status yet.
When AROS is no longer in alpha or beta status, then may it would be worth shipping with a computer system that you could rely on not crashing.

People don't want to buy computers that can be assured to crash.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »
After the discussion I saw here and on other sites I do not think there are "neutral" amiga-user. Ask AmigaOS-User about MorphOS and vice vera. And most here have judgements about other platforms without using it (or at least have used it a long time ago). So when you want to know something about a platform try it out and only ask developers/users that are actually using it.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
When you have talked about Aros on which base? Newest nightly builds? Distributions?

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
I'm not going to ask for permission to offer my opinion about AROS.
And anyone that has used it (or tried to use it) knows its not ready for prime time.

BTW - I invested in a system to run AROS and think its a great hobbyist OS.

I guess I ought to add the specs of that system to my signature.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;681108
I talked to Barry when he was still considering AROS and he asked me what I thought.

I can't believe this old thread was dug up (That comment was made in Decemeber).

My point (back then) was that AROS needed funding, but unlike other people who paid for drivers, Barry wasn't going to spend a single penny.  Of course AROS needs work to go mainstream, but CUSA were not prepared to pay for it.  I guess an existing Linux distro with some icons and wallpaper added is the next cheapest alternative.

In fairness, I will add that if I was in Barry's shoes and I was selling a computer with an OS to the mass market, then I would want either a "market ready" OS installed or to be in complete control of whatever alternative custom OS I was going to use.  To market an incomplete system and then have the people you were depending on for further development decide to give up or become uncooperative.  Personally, I'm wondering legally where he stands on providing (or rather not providing) Linux (sorry, COS) support.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:39:27 PM by Darrin »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;681114
I'm not going to ask for permission to offer my opinion about AROS.
And anyone that has used it (or tried to use it) knows its not ready for prime time.

BTW - I invested in a system to run AROS and think its a great hobbyist OS.

I guess I ought to add the specs of that system to my signature.

I find AROS ABIv1 to be very stable. :P
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;681119
I can't believe this old thread was dug up (That comment was made in Decemeber).

My point (back then) was that AROS needed funding, but unlike other people who paid for drivers, Barry wasn't going to spend a single penny.  Of course AROS needs work to go mainstream, but CUSA were not prepared to pay for it.  I guess an existing Linux distro with some icons and wallpaper added is the next cheapest alternative.

In fairness, I will add that if I was in Barry's shoes and I was selling a computer with an OS to the mass market, then I would want either a "market ready" OS installed or to be in complete control of whatever alternative custom OS I was going to use.  To market an incomplete system and then have the people you were depending on for further development decide to give up or become uncooperative.  Personally, I'm wondering legally where he stands on providing (or rather not providing) Linux (sorry, COS) support.

Thanks Darrin,
Your clarification of your point makes perfect sense.
And I too wonder about the legality of distributing a modified Linux distro (by a for profit entity).

Quote from: Terminills;681126
I find AROS ABIv1 to be very stable. :P

That's not the point. even AROS.org doesn't recommend the OS for critical operations.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;681127

That's not the point. even AROS.org doesn't recommend the OS for critical operations.

So did the EULA on my AmigaOS package from both my A1000 and A4000 about AmigaOS.   ;P
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;681108

Come on guys. Its neat for us hobbyists, but it hasn't reached 1.0 status yet.
When AROS is no longer in alpha or beta status, then may it would be worth shipping with a computer system that you could rely on not crashing.

People don't want to buy computers that can be assured to crash.

Meanwhile AROS has quite progressed  Including blend with Linux and Multimedia center. Its said to compare original Leo`s statement on AROS (see early news on CUSA website) to Barry`s pissed statement that it holds no worth ...
Bringing FF and OO to AROS could be done meanwhile and machine would be dual or tripple booting where AROS could be candy for Amiga enthusiasts (that is how I imagined it from start and Leo promoted with early Phoenix product
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsmiuEYUQY
Vague promises of support are evidenced on AROS EXEC also.
Serious people would support AROS and unofficially recommend it.

Linux is neither popular as mainstream OS, even its far more usable and they ship machines with it (before Ubuntu, now Mint 11).  And yes, they ship with Beta 6

On the other hand, how much R&D you can expect from a team where
only 1 person is IT pro
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Corporate.aspx

Barons bio hides the point he is also a CEO of furniture company.
One man should do one job well and leave to others to do pro job,
leaving his shares, investments ...
http://www.homecraft.us/vanity_about_vanity.html

Woolf2Moon sais CUSA is same or better as ASUS. In support, product history and innovation, sales ... NOT
PRICE> and x86 system prices are such that for 999$ Commodore Ultimate you can get ASUS ZenBook: Laptop with MONITOR, WINDOWS,SSD, i5 instead of ATOM ... not to speak of the desktop systems

Those who say Atom based no VDU unit for $999 say that X1000 is rip off

If it was AROS supporting PC like AresOne or somehow connected to real Commodore or AmigaOS development ....

Cheaper solution is
http://www.zazzle.com/amiga+stickers
http://www.zazzle.com/commodore+stickers

About 6$

+ 999$ PC that you assemble.

Lot of broken promises, hot air sales and bad words ...
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;681129
So did the EULA on my AmigaOS package from both my A1000 and A4000 about AmigaOS.   ;P

Now that you mention it, Microsoft makes a disclaimer about "mission critical applications" on its EULAs too. ;)

I any case, I find AROS to be pretty impressive.
The recent integration of UAE is  remarkable.
In time this could be the leading NG OS.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
I donate to Aros bounties.
The money is used to purchase the crystal meth and cocaine that it takes to code for 48 hour marathons. Some bounty takers also buy pizza and beer.
Others buy asian hookers. I say, whatever it takes to keep them coding and motivated.

Love the signature :-)
Even crystal meth and coke would be substituted with sack of weed and case of beer. More longelivity.

And how much effort was "COS development"? Making wallpapers?
Compiling kernel to existing drivers? Adding new free packages?

Linux should make machines be cheaper, not more expensive.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
more on their stance with aros might be in this thread (http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/27-commodore-usa/12492-join-the-forces#12534) but I really can't be bothered to drag myself through all the balls in the thread.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;681134
more on their stance with aros might be in this thread (http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/27-commodore-usa/12492-join-the-forces#12534) but I really can't be bothered to drag myself through all the balls in the thread.

Interesting remark in that link that seems to confirm what I suspected all along:

There are restrictions on what you are able to do as an official Commodore dealer as you would be, in effect, representing the company.
 There is nothing stopping anyone from buying barebones systems right now and selling systems as a non-official Commodore dealer of course.
 Official dealers get discounts, but there are minimum order requirements and various hardware and software standard requirements as well as various responsibilities.

It seems to me the business plan is to have lots of people use their saving to set themselves up as "official Commodore dealers", spend THEIR money to order stock, C-USA then buys units for the actual manufactures to manufactuers at a huge discount to what the "official dealers" will pay with no risk involved, slap a C= sticker on them, ship them to the dealers and then sit back and watch while the official dealers struggle to sell their already overpriced stock at an even higher price.

This would explain why C-USA are so militant against any negative posts as the last thing they want are potential investors Googling their past antics.  It also explains the massive hype.  Nobody is going to be keen on investing in a company run from a tiny Mall shop in Florida.  You need to make bold claims about being partners with Disney, owning your own OS, having massive factories in China and hundreds of thousands of waiting customers eager to part with huge sums of cash.

It's a brilliant plan, but not exactly original.  Other companies do it with womens' makeup, health food and other assorted tat every day.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
Pretty much the way I read it on the Homecraft LLC webby also. http://www.homecraft.us/vanity_about_vanity.html

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
You know, that would explain a lot. Fat chance of it actually going anywhere, though.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;681139
You know, that would explain a lot. Fat chance of it actually going anywhere, though.

It doesn't need to go anywhere in the long run, just in the short run because the LLC can fold up and then the people behind it just start up another business.  Meanwhile, the people operating the actual dealerships are left with the expensive equipment and the financial woes.

Mind you, some do work.  It is no different to selling Tupperware, Avon or Mary Kay.  As long as there are people willing to invest some money then the business will continue.  The lure of becomming your own boss and "making millions working from home" is quite powerful and there are lots of people offering to help you achieve this as seen by the constant TV ads, magazine ads and even posters nailed to telegraph poles all over the USA.

Can I interest you in some osterich eggs?  ;)

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Telemarketing/Outbound/Major/Investments/wacky.htm