Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 32617 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline psxphill

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;671568
So when is this CUSA Amiga line coming out? Wasn't it supposed to be this Christmas? :confused:

Does anyone care? The c64x was cool because of it's appearance, while the Amiga line doesn't really have anything to go for it.
 
If they did an A500 then they might get some takers, although with the price they are still pushing the c64x out for I would doubt it. They need to halve their prices across the c64x range to make them sell in any numbers.
 
The A1000 case might do ok if it's as good as other media centre pc cases as they are traditionally overpriced as well. If CUSA try and add even more on top they are doomed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:57:04 AM by psxphill »
 

Offline Digiman

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
I am interested/curious to see the case.

Vic slim is pure uglyness, c64x has no PETSCII keyboard with almost vertically parallel keys and no 9-pin joystick port USB adapters but at least they made an effort with the look.

I suspect there will be a cheaper and better solution to C-USA c64x soon enough. Ditto a rival for C-USA Amiga which will not cost 1000s too.
 

Offline Darrin

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2002
  • Posts: 4430
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
Quote from: HenryCase;671546
When? I don't remember them promising anything with regards to AROS bounties. There were requests for them to support the community in this way (bet they wish they did now, doing so would probably have avoided most of this backlash), but no promises on their part, as far as I recall.


I was digging around yesterday looking for a quote from Spammy and there was one where Spammy stated that C-USA's intention was to develop hardware and software AND provide incentives for AROS.  To be fair, this was in their very early days when they probably hoped to use AROS on their C64x.  Shortly after they got into a pissing match over it and stated that AROS wasn't suitable (in other words, they couldn't get it for free or have people work on drivers for free).
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
 

Offline Darrin

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2002
  • Posts: 4430
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;671594
I am interested/curious to see the case.

Vic slim is pure uglyness, c64x has no PETSCII keyboard with almost vertically parallel keys and no 9-pin joystick port USB adapters but at least they made an effort with the look.

I suspect there will be a cheaper and better solution to C-USA c64x soon enough. Ditto a rival for C-USA Amiga which will not cost 1000s too.


I don't mind the VIC slim (I always liked those all-in-one designs).  However, as you say, how can you use a C64x as a C64 without the symbols on the keys?  This is why my Chameleon64 is plugged into a real C64C.  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
 

Offline Digiman

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2011, 04:28:36 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;671601
I don't mind the VIC slim (I always liked those all-in-one designs).  However, as you say, how can you use a C64x as a C64 without the symbols on the keys?  This is why my Chameleon64 is plugged into a real C64C.  :)


That's fair enough about the VIC Slim, personal taste and all that, but not aesthetically related to a VIC20 but clearly the c64x is and they're the same design. Why didn't they just do a white c64x case for VIC20x and a black one for c16x?

This also makes me wonder about their Amiga case designs chosen.

Only mildly curious, will not purchase anything.
 

Offline Darrin

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2002
  • Posts: 4430
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;671608
That's fair enough about the VIC Slim, personal taste and all that, but not aesthetically related to a VIC20 but clearly the c64x is and they're the same design. Why didn't they just do a white c64x case for VIC20x and a black one for c16x?

This also makes me wonder about their Amiga case designs chosen.

Only mildly curious, will not purchase anything.


Although the "breadbox" design is iconic, from a practical point of view the C64C is a hell of a lot nicer to use.

As for their "Amiga" designs.  The last "real" cases they showed belonged to some company producing Home Entertainment type PCs.  In the end, they'll just pick any third party company that can supply them cheap "old desktop" type cases in quantity and at the right price.  Add a C-USA sticker, slap "Amiga" on the case and install Linux.  Job done and community successfully pissed off again.

Anyone can do that now by purchasing one of these and adding their own stickers:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6470748&CatId=5139
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
 

Offline mongo

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;671608
That's fair enough about the VIC Slim, personal taste and all that, but not aesthetically related to a VIC20 but clearly the c64x is and they're the same design. Why didn't they just do a white c64x case for VIC20x and a black one for c16x?

This also makes me wonder about their Amiga case designs chosen.

Only mildly curious, will not purchase anything.


If they do a white c64x case for a VIC20x,then what is the difference between the two besides colour?

The VIC-Slim is a $180 Seewor KPC210 with a sticker on it that they sell for $499.
 

Offline Digiman

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
Quote from: mongo;671613
If they do a white c64x case for a VIC20x,then what is the difference between the two besides colour?

The VIC-Slim is a $180 Seewor KPC210 with a sticker on it that they sell for $499.


Well the VIC20 looks nicer due to colour IMO but it also originally came with an awesome feeling PET style keyboard too so if they did it properly then it would need a different keyboard.

The point is neither are anything but a PC in a fancy copycat case so colour is the only obvious difference. Maybe they could set it up so the VIC20x boots up into 640x480 rez so all the graphics look big and cramped like a real VIC20 :)

(yeah I know, they don't pre-install an OS)
 

Offline persia

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
The computer in a keyboard concept pretty much became non-practical with the death of the CRT.  Nowadays the only all-in-ones that make sense are the computer in the monitor type....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.
 

Offline Digiman

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
Quote from: persia;671625
The computer in a keyboard concept pretty much became non-practical with the death of the CRT.  Nowadays the only all-in-ones that make sense are the computer in the monitor type....


Or a 17inch laptop with a real cutting edge GPU (Common 5 years ago, now <1% of laptops include one)
 

Offline tone007

  • sad moaning faced git
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 3238
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2011, 03:10:34 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;671617
Well the VIC20 looks nicer due to colour IMO but it also originally came with an awesome feeling PET style keyboard too so if they did it properly then it ould need a different keyboard.


Only the very earliest came with that PET style keyboard, I have a couple and they feel like crap. Good luck duplicating that!

The look of the keyboard, however, is definitely appealing, and I couldn't help putting one of the PET style keyboards in my Educator64.  That PET case just didn't look right with a standard C64 keyboard.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever
 

Offline Digiman

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Quote from: tone007;671662
Only the very earliest came with that PET style keyboard, I have a couple and they feel like crap. Good luck duplicating that!

The look of the keyboard, however, is definitely appealing, and I couldn't help putting one of the PET style keyboards in my Educator64.  That PET case just didn't look right with a standard C64 keyboard.


I've got two as well, I prefer them for typing but the flat keys take some getting used to sure but the tactile response I prefer.

Dunno why C-USA don't do a PET remake, specially the Super PET.
 

Offline Darrin

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2002
  • Posts: 4430
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;671730
Dunno why C-USA don't do a PET remake, specially the Super PET.


Because nobody else makes one for them to be able to order some, tripple the price and slap a C= sticker on them  :D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
 

Offline vox

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;577251
After a few vitriolic message from me and couple sent back, I've agreed to call Mr. Altman tomorrow to discuss his company at its business plans.
Many of you know me and opinions about this company and its plans from postings I've made in response to the messages posted about Commodore USA.

So, to say the least, this may be a somewhat contentious conversation. However, Barry's of the opinion that if I give him a fair hearing I'll be swayed by what he has to say.

So, now is your chance, folks. If there's anything you think I ought to ask, post it now.
I'll try to have a concise outline of what I want to cover when I talk to him.

I'll post a summary of our conversation tomorrow.


Next time don`t forget to ask Baron about real bussiness behind CUSA
http://www.homecraft.us/vanity_about_vanity.html

P.S.
Golden retriever is the best part of CUSA team! For next CEO!
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;671600
...To be fair, this was in their very early days when they probably hoped to use AROS on their C64x.  Shortly after they got into a pissing match over it and stated that AROS wasn't suitable (in other words, they couldn't get it for free or have people work on drivers for free).

Actually, that's not fair.
I talked to Barry when he was still considering AROS and he asked me what I thought.
I (and others) told him it wasn't complete and stable enough.

Come on guys. Its neat for us hobbyists, but it hasn't reached 1.0 status yet.
When AROS is no longer in alpha or beta status, then may it would be worth shipping with a computer system that you could rely on not crashing.

People don't want to buy computers that can be assured to crash.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"