Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sandisk Ultra CF as Hardrive?  (Read 6610 times)

Description:

Offline Thomas

Re: Sandisk Ultra CF as Hardrive?
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 15, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
When will you learn that carddisk.device cannot be used for harddrives?

Offline RetrofanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Retrofan
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »
Yes, you told me, but I don't understand well: do you mean that this model of CF isn't compatible with the Amiga as HD (as I asked from the beginning) or are you telling it has to be changed somehow?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:03:41 AM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline Buzzfuzz

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »
HDtoolbox always makes it go awry :hammer:

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/hdinst

Suggest you use that to setup any HDD or CF larger than 4GB with OS3.X
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 12:36:24 PM »
Thank you, I will try it, but please Thomas tell me what I asked, if it's incompatible or can be changed... I don't want to spend about 5 hours like yesterday if it can't be done...
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »
carddisk.device is the name of a driver for RAM cards. RAM! It has nothing to do with CompactFlash. Nothing! Why are you so magically pulled towards carddisk.device when you see it? There is also atapi.device which is similarly unrelated. You never selected atapi.device, so why do you always select carddisk.device?

Connect your new CF card to the IDE bus, run HDToolbox, select scsi.device. s c s i . d e v i c e !!!!  If it sees the disk and lets you create partitions on it, then it's compatible, otherwise it's not. That's all.

In order to transfer data from the old CF card to the new one download cfd.lha from Aminet, unpack it and copy compactflash.device to the Devs directory. Connect the old CF card to the PCMCIA bus and run OS3.9's Mounter utility, select compactflash.device (compactflash, not carddisk!!), and mount one or more partitions.

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
"Why are you so magically pulled towards carddisk.device when you see it? There is also atapi.device which is similarly unrelated. You never selected atapi.device, so why do you always select carddisk.device?"

Thanks, Thomas. The answer is very easy. I have 3 options:
Atapi.device, cardisk.device and scsi.device

- If I select atapi.device what appears is Drive: TSSTcorpCDW/DVD TS-L462DHS02. That's my internal CD rom

- If I select scsi.device what appears is Drive: TSSTcorpCDW/DVD TS-L462DH02, so my internal CD rom again

As you must understand what rests is carddisk.device, so I'm not magically pulled towards it...

So the answer is it isn't compatible, that was what I asked from the beginning, isn't it?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
I cannot tell you if it's compatible or not. Your answers are so confusing. You change your opinion from one post to the other. You didn't stop talking about carddisk.device, so I got the impression that you don't know what you are doing. Then you talked about having created partitions, so it must have worked at some point. Now it's not recognised any more. Maybe it's damaged because you removed and put it back so often. Perhaps it does not sit correctly in its slot. Perhaps it has become too slow. I read at least once that someone experienced the so-called "slow spin-up" problem with a CF card after writing some data to it. Also it's known that CF cards don't work with IDEfix software. You have to apply patches to IDEfix if you use it in conjunction with a CF card.

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »
Sorry if I confuse you. If I say that carddisk.device doesn't let me do anything isn't because I haven't tried the others, I'm not so stupid.
I tell what happens with all the ways I've tried. I'm not inventing nothing. If you find two post in which I say different things, please tell me.

Anyway, I'm grateful you're trying to help me...

Sorry if I don't know much about software.

What you say about Idefix and the CF is VERY interesting, because now I'm trying with the HDInstall tool @Buzzfuzz told and I've made 4 partitions, Games with 8gb, but when I boot the Amiga with the os3.9 emergency disk it crashes just after it asks me if I will install Idefix, and thinking on it the Amiga always crashed after installing os3.9, but before that (without booting) I had installed Idefix (and the cd with the os). I'm going to try the patch, I believe it can work...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:37:07 AM by Retrofan »

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
Now I'm sure the problem isn't anything I've done: the problem is with Idefix97. I've seen it allways crashes after installing it.
I must find a patch for it. I found one (Idefix_patches), but I'm not sure how to use it.
There's too another solution: to set the CF as Fixed instead of removable. For that I should use ATCFWCHG.COM, which I've downloaded from http://www.floutsch.com/pub/download/ATCFWCHG.COM

The thing is that for that I would need to set the CF as master on the primary IDE or on the secundary, but I don't know how to put my Generic-Multi-Card USB device as that. Does anybody know?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:36:55 PM by Retrofan »

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
Well, I've managed to install OS3.9 without using the CD rom and without installing Idefix. I've got 4 partitions running, one with 8gb.

The thing is I don't know what to do to use the os3.9 scsi.device instead of idefix to detect and use the cdrom.

Can anybody tell me, please?

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
Hi:
I don't want to be tedious, as I've been with this thing for a complete week. I have the partitions working with Smart File System and could install OS3.9 and Boing Bag 1 recording the OS3.9 cd on the PCMCIA and using a simply comand Thomas gave in another thread:

assign AmigaOS3.9: NameofthePCMCIACF:Nameoftheos3.9archive

The thing is I can't use the internal CD rom without IDEfix. There's a patch for it, http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/IDEFix_patches
which I would like to use, but my IDEfix97 version doesn't work. If I try to use the patches it says Idefix hasn't changed and that the patchs are for another version.

What I'm asking here is if someone could send me a mail with the neccesary Idefix program. It must be version 119.17 (08.12.00), as it says at the Aminet page, althought perhaps could bee too version 119.4 (11.08.98), because Doobrey says that in another place.

As you must understand IDEfix only works having the license key, which I got with my floppy from ASB computers two months ago, so I'm not asking for nothing that can't be legally sent.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:18:49 PM by Retrofan »

Offline Thomas

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »
The thing is I can't use the internal CD rom without IDEfix.

Why not ? What happens if you install OS 3.9 CD drivers ?

What I'm asking here is if someone could send me a mail with the neccesary Idefix program. It must be version 119.17 (08.12.00).

http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/IDEFix_patches

Read the text and click the link.

Offline LordSpunky

• Show only replies by LordSpunky
    • http://www.tristancobb.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »
I'm looking to replaced my lowly HDD with a CF card.....and I've seen two on ebay......any ideas which would be best?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260581883854&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270578962585&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They seem the same to me, although the latter has AmigaSYS4AGA, and OS3.1.

Any help would be good......I don't see one on Amigakit.....and I'm sure there was one already partitioned into 4 or something but can't find it

cheers tris
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Main Two Systems:
Commodore Amiga 4000D - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1/5/9 / 2MB ChipRAM / 16MB FastRAM / Cyberstorm2 68040 @40MHz, 128MB FastRAM / Picasso MKIV / 4GB CF-IDE HDD / X-Surf 100 & RapidRoad / CD-ROM
Amiga Inc. Amiga 1200 - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1 / 2MB ChipRAM / 8MB FastRAM / 4GB CF-IDE HDD

Commodore
Pet 4016-N / C-VIC20 x3 / C-64 x3 / C-64C x3 / C128 x2 / C16 / C-Plus/4
Commodore Amiga
A1000 / A500 x5 / A500 Plus / A600 x5 / A1200 x4 / A1500 x2 / CD32 / CDTV

Offline Thomas

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
@LordSpunky: Don't hijack other people's threads!

Offline LordSpunky

• Show only replies by LordSpunky
    • http://www.tristancobb.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
Sorry will re-post somewhere else,  thought it would save threads tis all sorry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Main Two Systems:
Commodore Amiga 4000D - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1/5/9 / 2MB ChipRAM / 16MB FastRAM / Cyberstorm2 68040 @40MHz, 128MB FastRAM / Picasso MKIV / 4GB CF-IDE HDD / X-Surf 100 & RapidRoad / CD-ROM
Amiga Inc. Amiga 1200 - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1 / 2MB ChipRAM / 8MB FastRAM / 4GB CF-IDE HDD

Commodore
Pet 4016-N / C-VIC20 x3 / C-64 x3 / C-64C x3 / C128 x2 / C16 / C-Plus/4
Commodore Amiga
A1000 / A500 x5 / A500 Plus / A600 x5 / A1200 x4 / A1500 x2 / CD32 / CDTV

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2010, 11:04:24 PM »
Hi. Sorry, went out to play basketball... and later a couple of hours trying to fix WinUAE with OS3.9 (used the tutorial of Thomas but have some problem at the final step when it has to boot from the floppy... but that's another question and I think I will fix it).
About IDEfix I tried to install the one of Aminet and apply the patches and nothing, tried with my IDefix97 and nothing and tried to change both changing the drawers files with the ones of eb final and nothing. Perhaps at some point I could do any mistake, but I copied the patches to C: and made the commands for the patchs and only had a response telling they weren't for that version... I have to say that each time IDEfix crashes the Amiga I have to boot from the Install floppy, quickformat Sistem again and leave the Amiga for a very long time copying the archives from another partition and then change again the configuration of the fyle system of the partitions...
I saw the version of Aminet is 3.5, from 30.10.99, and the one of A. Forever 2006 and 2009 is another different... don't remember, but isn't the one.

About the OS3.9 Cd drivers I asked in my last post, but nobody told me. I need the drivers for an internal cd rom with a 4 way interface.

The main problem I have is that I can't boot and make the installation from the Emergency Boot, it said it didn't find SCSI device unit 3, and I was going to remake the floppy again, but now it says what doesn't find is the compact-flash. Tomorrow I will change the OS3.9 from the PCMCIA to a partition, will take out the PCMCIA and will try to make again an Emergency Boot to make a full instalation and to see if it sees the CD.

Sorry if I seem too ignorant, but I registered here before receiving the first Amiga in my live, and that was in march...

Edit:
I've found what the problem was with the WinUAE 3.9 install at the final steps: I was using Reset Workbench instead of Reset from the F12 console. Now I'll try to fix why it gets hanged while installs OS3.9...I did. It's working well now.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:11:43 AM by Retrofan »