Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card  (Read 3634 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Moto

Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« on: December 01, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
Hello my fellow Amiga Brethren,

Can somebody tell me what USB sound cards are compatible with the Deneb/Subway USB controllers?  I have spent a good week searching for this answer but can't really find a definitive source of what works and what doesn't.  I have an old M-Audio Sonica and I plugged it in and it was immediately not recognized.  I see lots of $10 usb sound cards on Amazon (C-media chipset) but I don't want to buy something unless I know it works.  I'd love to be able to listen to some cleaner audio (mp3s, etc) on the Amiga.

Thanks in advance!

-daniel

PS:  I have a "new" old stock 4000T arriving today!  Will post a slide show if I can get my camera working.
500, 1200, 4000T
 

Offline Tension

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
I was under the impression they all worked...  Hmmmm.....

Offline Tension

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »
Quote from: Moto;532128

PS:  I have a "new" old stock 4000T arriving today!  Will post a slide show if I can get my camera working.


I assume it's an AT model?  If it's a CBM one its gotta be worth a few grand!!

Offline Moto

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »
I'm not expecting a CBM model but I'll let you know if that's the case.

Is there a standard for all USB sound cards?  I've been through all the Poseidon docs and I didn't see any kind of compatibility list at all.
500, 1200, 4000T
 

Offline Moto

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »
Quote from: Moto;532136
I'm not expecting a CBM model but I'll let you know if that's the case.

Is there a standard for all USB sound cards?  I've been through all the Poseidon docs and I didn't see any kind of compatibility list at all.
To answer my own question, it seems there is a standard.  It's called USB audio device specification 1.0 -- so I imagine that the Poseidon stack will work with any of these devices.  I wish the documentation simply stated this.

Can anyone confirm this?  I can get one of the vanilla cards for about $3.50
500, 1200, 4000T
 

Offline Matt_H

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
Quote from: Moto;532141
To answer my own question, it seems there is a standard.  It's called USB audio device specification 1.0 -- so I imagine that the Poseidon stack will work with any of these devices.  I wish the documentation simply stated this.

Can anyone confirm this?  I can get one of the vanilla cards for about $3.50


At that price, I'd risk it.
 

Offline koshman

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
Actually, it shouldn't even have to be a typical sound card. Every external USB DAC, even an AV receiver with USB in for example, should be compatible with the said standard.
- Radim
 
A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD
 

Offline platon42

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
Quote from: Moto;532128
Hello my fellow Amiga Brethren,

Can somebody tell me what USB sound cards are compatible with the Deneb/Subway USB controllers?  I have spent a good week searching for this answer but can't really find a definitive source of what works and what doesn't.  I have an old M-Audio Sonica and I plugged it in and it was immediately not recognized.

USB audio is only available for the Deneb. It will not work with the Highway, Algor or Subway controllers. There are two USB audio standards 1.x and 2.x (independent of the USB protocol version), which are not backwards compatible and only USB audio 1.x devices are supported. USB Audio 2.x devices are very very rare in fact.

What do you mean by "was immediately not recognized". This is not very helpful at all. PsdErrorlog/PsdDevlister? The AHI driver generated only supports mono/stereo at any bit rates between 8 and 32 bit per sample, but not multichannel modes and only rates up to 65KHz (because AHI uses a 16-bit word for frequencies :-( ).

If the soundcard does not offer such a PCM 8-32 bit mode at frequencies lower than 65 KHz, there's nothing much that can be done about it on the Amiga side. Most cheap USB soundcards do though.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM
 

Offline save2600

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
I've been using a Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-fi with great results. This is a nicer external sound card with a lot of features. Some not even supported under AmigaOS, but it offers a superior s/n ratio and smoother sound I'd imagine than you'd get from a cheapie sound card.
 

Offline sandpiper

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
I bought a $3 USB sound 'card' on Ebay and it seems to work fine with a Deneb in my A3000 using AHI
 

Offline Moto

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:27:24 PM »
Yeah, there's a million of these things on amazon.  I got mine for 3.79 with free shipping.  

I saw the higher end ones on there such as Turtle Beach and Creative Labs but I figure I'd start low.  Besides even the cheapest one of these will sound much better than the poor Paula (for MP3s).  

BTW:  Amiga 4000T came in!  It's Smmmmminty new in the box but not a CBM model. I've taken pictures but I suddenly have a lot of work to do, so will post them later.  It's literally sitting next to me right now (almost as big as a person).
500, 1200, 4000T
 

Offline save2600

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 01:00:47 AM »
Quote from: Moto;532181

BTW:  Amiga 4000T came in!  It's Smmmmminty new in the box but not a CBM model. I've taken pictures but I suddenly have a lot of work to do, so will post them later.  It's literally sitting next to me right now (almost as big as a person).


From DiscreetFX? You lucky son of a rat bastard!  lol
 

Offline cv643d

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 01:19:24 AM »
I got a 2 dollar one from DealXtreme, haven tried it yet though.

You should buy one that have good audio quality though, many reviewers on DX mentioned some chepie USB soundcards sounded bad.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie
 

Offline PhatAgnus

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »
Hi Chris, Quoting:

"USB audio is only available for the Deneb. It will not work with the Highway, Algor or Subway controllers." Bummer - I've got a Highway :(

Is this due to FlashRom requirements, CPU overhead, memory availablilty or something else? Wondering if a software-based 'usbaudio.audio' file could be written just as AHI typically seeks within its' root archives. If so, how would someone go about creating one?
\\"You\\\'re asking for logic where there is none.\\"
 

Offline alexh

Re: Poseidon compatible USB Sound Card
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
Id guess at bandwidth. The Deneb has Zorro III bandwidth for RAW audio and the Subway only has clockport bandwidth.

But just a guess.

I've got several Creative Soundblaster Live cards that I hope will work with my Deneb + AHI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB_Soundcard_Soundblaster_Live.jpg