Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 2702 times)

Description:

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 03, 2003, 03:03:18 AM »
Is it just me or is Windows awful?

:lol: .... it's just you. ....  :-P

;-)
---------------
redfox

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2003, 03:04:39 AM »
AmigaOS never crashed on me... Third party software messed things up.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2003, 03:11:14 AM »
Damn!!!! I FINALLY got my Amithlon up on the net and IBrowse moves faster than IE or Mozilla. :D
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2003, 08:39:47 AM »
1) My XP boots dead slow novadays due to lots of installed software (my gf to blame), eventhough registry has been cleaned.
Well, install one more piece of software: AutoRuns. Use it to see what the heck is being loaded at boot up and elimiate what's not needed. How do you know what's needed or not needed you ask? That's easy, check with this site: Start Ups. Then check your services. A good guide for that can be found at Black Viper's web site (look for Windows XP Services). Be sure to disable the Indexing service as it's pretty useless and resource hungry.

2) Documents and Settings-folder.. 656mb .. and I ain't got even one god damn document saved there. Thats loadsa settings.
Yeah, lotsa software likes to store stuff there for you (isn't that thoughtful). I suggest moving the My Documents folder to another partition (can't remember how to do that, but there's a way, I'm sure you can find it if you search for it).

3) Windows-folder is almost 2 gigs.

Well... there's System Restore which can use up a lot of disk space, plus all the Windows patches you install store uninstall information as well. It's easy to see how things can add up when your system stores backups on everything you touch!

When I install Windows on a machine (and I've been doing that often for friends and family as of late) I always setup three partitions: C: OS only, D: Apps only, E: Data (aka documents, files, mp3's, etc), including temp files and swap file. If you like you could also make a 4th partition just for the swap file and temp internet files. Seperating the temp files from the OS and Apps really helps reduce the fragmentation. Data on the otherhand tends to change anyway, so there's less harm in mixing temp files with the data.

4) It's awfully slow in general use, one big reason being hd fragmentation. IE loads in about 5 secs or so
There's many things that can cause that, not just fragmentation. Check out this link for some things to try: TweakXp - Performance Tweaks.  Good luck!

5) Swap is yelling for mercy eventhough I have half a gig memory
Well, if you really do have lots of memory (like more then a gig) you CAN shut off the VM if you like. It's easy, just go into the VM settings and set the swap file size to 0 on all drives. Even if you don't shut it off, you should NEVER allow windows to automatically manage your VM. Pick a large partition and use it to store the swap file. The min and max file size should be identicle. A good rule of thumb for your swap file size is around 1.5 times your actual memory, but I use a 1:1 ratio. If you have a gig or more you might wanna go less.

There are also tools out there that can defragment your registry files. Defragmenting your swap file isn't that hard, simply set you VM to 0, reboot, defragment your drives and then reset the VM and a new swap file will be created. Hopefully you'll have enough contiguous free space to keep it all together.

Make sense? Ah nevermind, just reinstall everything, that always works!  ;-)

-- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2003, 08:48:01 AM »
It's called Backweb lite. When I installed the drivers it installed it automatically. Didn't ask me if I wanted it installed or not. According to the research I've done on the web it is supposed to be a simple, third party program that updates software. But it also displays pop-up ads.
Drivers for what exactly? I have MouseWare and their WingMan software, and ZoneAlarm has yet to notify me of anything trying to call home to Logitech or Backweb.

Btw, I suggest anyone who runs any version of Windows should install ZoneAlarm Pro. It's far better then the standard WindowsXP firewall. I run ZA even though I'm behind a hardware firewall/router - no such thing as too much security! ;-)

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2003, 09:49:18 AM »
You guys should sheck your settings.
By default, Windows XP tries to allocate 10% (:-o) of your HD-space for recovery states, of whatever they're called. Also, IE will use 1-2 gigs for it's cache.
This can easily beef your system folders up to several gigs.

In general, I'd recomend some tweaking and installing Cacheman...
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2003, 10:10:43 AM »
re: logitech "spyware"
Drivers for what? Mice appear to be affected, but my webcam isn't, for instance.

Does anyone else find it a little ironic that someone is complaining about spyware when they have a webcam? :-)

Ok, so what spyware is supposedly in the Logitech webcam software?

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2003, 10:12:07 AM »
Also, IE will use 1-2 gigs for it's cache.

Only very temporarily, if you're transferring 1 - 2 gig size files with IE.  Otherwise it sticks to the quota you set.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2003, 10:28:28 AM »

mikeymike wrote:
Only very temporarily, if you're transferring 1 - 2 gig size files with IE.  Otherwise it sticks to the quota you set.

Windows default quotal is BIIIIG!
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2003, 12:18:22 PM »
Does anyone else find it a little ironic that someone is complaining about spyware when they have a webcam?

:lol:
I like Amigas