Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: News from Hyperion  (Read 4860 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: News from Hyperion
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »
@damocles

Again, my statement above, if they are unwilling to accept the reality of the market, that is that Genesi has delivered one of the few viable platforms for said system, then they will die.  It is time to put aside egos here.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline A1260Topic starter

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
@downix

you should ask your self: why should them...

the pegasos v1 and v2 hw is old by now... eifka is new but crippled industry hw... no new morphos is going to be released for that hw either...

so why should hyperion/ainc throw money on it... business wise its not profitable at all...

releasing os4.0 on sam is a start in the rigth direction. then it hopefully will evolve from there and onto newer hw as time goes on..

just admit it your just to biased, and no one feel sorry for your bad choice that is called pegasos/morphos. its time to move on and buy os4.0 and the hw that runs it...

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
@A1260

the pegasos v1 and v2 hw is old by now... eifka is new but crippled industry hw... no new morphos is going to be released for that hw either...

AFAIK MorphOS 2 is under development and will support Efika.

so why should hyperion/ainc throw money on it... business wise its not profitable at all...

I would imagine it would take minimal effort on their part to make OS4 boot on Genesi PPC hardware. Considering AInc's current business model is to not allow OS4 on any currently-available hardware I can't see what they have to lose.

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 06:46:30 PM »

thats not what i have heard...

I would imagine it would take minimal effort on their part to make OS4 boot on Genesi PPC hardware. Considering AInc's current business model is to not allow OS4 on any currently-available hardware I can't see what they have to lose.

they must take baby steps first and sam is the rigth thing at the moment. and not genesis ppc hw, thats the way it is now...

Offline maffoo

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 06:54:06 PM »

thats not what i have heard...

I remember the developers mentioned it a while back, and I don't recall reading anything to say they had stopped development. Wikipedia still refers to a MorphOS version in development for Efika.

I do agree that they need to make OS4 available for Sam, given that it's available (unlike the A1.) Indeed if I had to choose I would prefer to see OS4 for Sam than Efika. However it would be nice if OS4 supported as wide a range of PPC hardware as possible.

Offline downix

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 07:10:59 PM »
@A1260

Um, dude, you shot yourself in the foot with that arguement.  

"eifka is new but crippled industry hw"

(I assume you mean the Efika) then a few lines lower:

"releasing os4.0 on sam is a start in the rigth direction."

The Efika uses the MPC5200, SAM using the AMCC 440EP.  The 5200 runs at 400Mhz, 603e based core, getting 833DMIPS.  The 440EP by comparison run at 333Mhz-533Mhz, depending on model, and has a PowerPC 440 core, getting 1066MIPS @533Mhz.

The two machines are running very similar CPU's designed for very similar markets.  To proclaim one being crippled and the other an ideal target is an insult to the good engineers of both platforms.

I based my critique based on the realities of todays market, that the community needs a unifying force, not further divides.  Truth be, OS4 needs the Efika more than the Efika needs OS4, simply for the symbol of reaching across the isle, to embrace your fellow Amigan, to let by gones be by gones, and to unify to focus on growing our market.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
yes they are similar but also very different, so no foot is shoot here. i agree with the "embrace your fellow Amigan, to let by gones be by gones". but this should be started with a new hw called the sam...

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
And who wrote that the SAM440 was really working ?
Who tried it fully with a Linux ?
Strange isn' it ?

At least Efika works with Linux and MOrphOS v2. There were demonstrations of that, even on Youtube you'll get vidéos...
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline downix

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 07:58:03 PM »
@A1260

I look at them and the differences I see lie in the Efika's favor, save the FPGA (which is probably the only reason I'd buy a SAM over the Efika).  I'm very looking forward to the PVR based graphics, as i've been a big fan of PVR technology ever since the Dreamcast.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 08:16:46 PM »
@Piru

I think that is what they were referring to since 2.0 came out in '87 IIRC.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »
@SamuraiCrow
I think that is what they were referring to since 2.0 came out in '87 IIRC.

2.0 did not come out in 87, 1.2 did.

Surely Hyperion isn't making the same mistake?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »
I remember the developers mentioned it a while back, and I don't recall reading anything to say they had stopped development

The development has not stopped. I should know, considering I'm one of the guys developing it. ;-)

Offline maffoo

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 08:52:02 PM »
The development has not stopped. I should know, considering I'm one of the guys developing it.   ;-)

That's good to hear  :-) I don't suppose there's any chance of it being ported to other PPC hardware? (I know it's cheeky to ask, but it's always worth asking  ;-) )

Offline reflect

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 10:00:17 PM »
@Piru

I'm sure they didn't make that mistake. There are some large things to consider here, even if you are one of the 'big ones' when it comes to Morphos development. Since You think 1.3 to 2.0 is bigger, I'd like to give you another point of view. Perhaps you're thinking in a developers point of view.

This is the first Amiga OS for another architecture when it comes to the classic computers. It also is the first OS to have much more strict rules about what is OK and what isn't, and it's the first Amiga OS you could install without having a previous OS installed since 3.1. It has alot of powerful features, not only for users but for developers aswell. It's the first Amiga OS which can actually attract new, beginners, customers, since Amiga OS 3.1.

Yeah, the 1.3 to 2.0 may have been big.. but this one means a whole lot more, atleast to me. I've heard some developers saying that now things are more logical, easier.

Belittling this effort, these accomplishment has no value to you.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 10:08:21 PM »
Thank you, Hyperion.

Happy New Year!
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/

Offline downix

« Reply #29 from previous page: December 31, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »
@reflect

You know, I did not see Piru as putting down this effort, only offering his viewpoint.