Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Troika Website Launch  (Read 4922 times)

Description:

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
Re: Troika Website Launch
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 08, 2005, 07:06:52 AM »
No Mai!  :-)
this space for rent

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »
It is funny that no one mentioned how their OS4 license is going (they havent said single word about it) and neither they announced what kind of BIOS they are using.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2005, 01:31:14 PM »

While I will agree a full-sized board would be ideal, I appreciate that cost was a major factor in the design of this board. I'm far more receptive to a $100-200 board than I am to an $800 board...

Ditto.  Can't/won't touch OS4 for the prices most vendors are asking.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2005, 02:27:18 PM »
@Billt : "If Pegasos won, then why doesn't OS4 support it" <<-- Because they don't want to pay for that, and some others high "ranked" people don't want to see that (but OS4emu exist)!  more than 90% of the Peg machine sold are used with Linux, I have no informations about A1 most used OS. Any one got informations about ?

Who still care about the power consuption ?
Here more than 86% of the electricity is created by nuclear systems and it may rise soon up to 96% due to the need, the petrol price, the inefficience of the "clean" energy source (the Sun at night ?)... maybe the sound of fans inside... so put a larger and slower one.

I still wonder why you want to put a poor old 6 or 7 years old G3 when the G4 delivers so much for 50% more. Some people told me that G3-800 could outperform the G4-933 in their Aone in some CPU functions.

For me, if I want a powertoy, i'll buy a MacMini for $400 or a Pegasos 2 G3  (for $150 you can find a Peg1 G3 !).

I don't find word about the RAM. DDR ? DDR for notebook (like the microA1... out of price) ?

Why too few connectors ? why not an expensable PCI bus like the Mediator SX or the system found in some DELL desktop ?
I need at least 5 Pci connectors if I want to replace my actual PC (TV/FM/FW 1394-II/more USB2 ports/U2W-SCSI/Sound 7.1/SATA/...) or my good old 1200T PPC+GREX.
Take a closer look at that if it's not too late.

In fact there is 2 Amiga school's mind and that's the problem : the A600 class and the A4000 class.

Still no Amiga G5 project ahead ...  :madashell:
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2005, 03:38:32 PM »
Conman Redhouse sells faulty hardware without warranties and when questioned he remains quiet, Then out of the blue we have a so-called new OS4 motherboard?.

Buyers prepare yourself for another raping.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2005, 04:58:37 PM »
Call me cynical but this looks decidedly dodgy to me.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2005, 05:18:01 PM »
we shall see.. 16 days.

Are they going to show the actual WORKING motherboard or just a new site with "designs" and "tech talk" ?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2005, 06:50:54 PM »
I look forward to this.  It's about time someone showed Eyetech how to do it.  (I'll ditch my Eden plans for this if it works!)

Questions for Stedy or Troika

1) Is there an estimated/established price point?  
2) Is this the "mystery" hardware that Gary Hare mentioned running AOS4?
3) Do you need any testers? :D
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline TroikaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Troika
    • http://www.troikang.com/
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2005, 06:53:59 PM »
> Does this mean that the AmigaOne is dead and the

I would also add the AmigaOne is far from dead, with a new shipment this month, so Eyetech has said.

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2005, 07:44:43 PM »
Adolescent:

You are making an assumption thinking that this ISN'T Eyetech.  You never really know?

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2005, 09:36:55 PM »
@Magic-Merl

And you're assuming that it is? :crazy:
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2005, 11:14:43 PM »
@Dr_Righteous

How expensive could an expandable system be!!

If you ripped out the USB, Ethernet, Sound, IDE Raid
On board graphics etc etc and just put on more PCI slots or PCI express slots, maybe a cpu riser. AGP slot? C'mon, Video badwith is a major factor on boards, that's why AGP was developed in the first place, an AGP slot has got to be cheaper than adding in a AGP complient graphics chip and technology. Mind you I don't think this board even will have that from reading of the article, it's PCI only so it's going to choke when graphics gets heavy. Why not just go PCI express!

A simple bus slot is cheaper than a graphics chip or firewire controller!! it's just a plastic connector! Sure there logic and design around it to impliment, but hey, you already have done some of that with adding a PCI bus, scrap all the technology features for extra bandwith and let the user plug in the cards if they want it.

Being expandable, I have heaps of connector slots. I can pop in a card with firwire, USB, RAID or whatever I want. At least this way I choose what I need and will use. Cost is kept to a minimum, and with the CPU connector, I can upgrade!
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2005, 05:30:26 AM »
>it's PCI only so it's going to choke when graphics gets heavy.

Pegasos2 would then suffer the same problem as its AGP slot connects to a PCI port of the northbridge via a logic bridge of some sort.

For those of you demanding an AGP slot, name each and every PowerPC northbridge that provides one natively. Of these, how many are acceptable northbridge chips to you? Yep. Not much of a choice is there?

Anything we're going to see in our market will either use Articia or have to use an FPGA chip to build a PCI to AGP bridge, which is then limited to PCI bandwidth. Pegasos2 does this, and that may be acceptable. If so, why not just use a PCI to PCI-Express bridge and have the even newer graphics cards available to you?

If anyone would start a new design today, I'd say he's crazy to put any effort into an FPGA AGP bridge, as AGP is already on its way out. PCI-Express is on its way in, in a big way, and any design that would hypothetically start today should use that for graphics instead, IMNSHO.

> A simple bus slot is cheaper than a graphics
> chip or firewire controller!! it's just a
> plastic connector!

It's simply not that easy with PowerPC. If you don't want an Articia northbridge, then you need a logic chip to convert PCI into AGP for the plastic connector to wire up to. Life's never as easy as you'd like. :)

> Why not just go PCI express!

Read up on Olegil's solution to this on AW.net. Troika's board would be able to have PCI-Express this way, same for AmigaOne, Mediator, Prometheus PCI, Grex, Pegasos, etc.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline asian1

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2005, 05:32:24 AM »
> Website without any content

Is this similar website as KMOS Inc's website?
Is this another hoax / scam without any REAL address, phone / fax number?

If the board is REAL, CHEAP, support fanless CPU, and +12V power supply, the board will be great for automotive / car / ship / boat embedded applications.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2005, 06:01:49 AM »
@billt

There is a difference between having the GFX-card on one bus (which in most times won't satured 1xAGP) and everything else on the 2nd compared to having all on one.

In the 2nd scenario on bigger HD-read might allready be enough for an animation/movie/game to drop some frames due to chocked access to GPU.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2005, 04:42:15 PM »
asian1: For Automotive/car use it's not recommendable/optimal, cause it does not have desired chips.. In those environments you'll need to have specially designed chips with extra wide temparature range.. (see Freescale MPC5200 for comparision).

BillT: Yes.. it's possible to Stack various busses one after another .. but you should consider couple facts..
- Price .. each bus-bus bridge costs money and nees board space, wiring and support components.
- Speed. No matter how you'll add Pci-express atop of OLD Pci it's limited by the PCI bus as long as data needs to pass through it..

You'll can do the maths yourself .. This Troika card has *SINGLE* PCI-controller running at 33Mhz/32bit.. thus offering about 133MB/s theorethical max bandwidth.. Real delivery is only about 50-70% of maximun, so we can take 80MB/s. (megabytes)

Now we need to add together 2D/3D GFX-update-feed, Hard disk IO, USB, Ethernet etcetc.. and you'll soon see that sum will far exceed capabilities of single PCI-bus. (maths left for excercise to reader.. all numbers can be deduced or found on Web)  :-)

PS: I know that in above i'll mention Maximum values, but it's proof enough ... It would be possible to analyze awerage needs, response time/real time conflicts (usually audio drivers) etc..

PS2: I'm not saying it would not work. I'm only trying to remind people not expecting miracle performance out of it.

PS3: Did some editing.. Hopefully i managed to fix more spelling mistakes than make a new ones.