Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasos running native OS4 apps?  (Read 9975 times)

Description:

Offline Troels_E

• Show only replies by Troels_E
    • http://www.amigabounty.net
Re: Pegasos running native OS4 apps!!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2003, 02:37:17 PM »
Ok, I may have expressed that in a wrong way...

There was a lot of talks that  OS4 would appear on the Peg1 still Genesi never signed the needed contracts, it was just talks to get people that wanted OS4 to buy a Pegasos.

Now there's talks about OS4 coming to the Peg2 but still no papers signed.

I am certain that Genesi and Hyperion would do a pressrelease the moment such a contract existed, therefore I conclude that it doesn't exist.

We have also seen comments from Ben Hermans that says it won't happen unless the Peg2 sells more than the initial 600(IIRC) there's produced, and then there's still the contracts that neds to be signed.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see OS4 on a Peg2, 3, 4 and whatever they are called :)
The bounty site for AmigaOS4 www.amigabounty.net

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2003, 02:40:49 PM »

Troels_E wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see OS4 on a Peg2, 3, 4 and whatever they are called :)

Me too. No way I can afford an A1  :-(

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2003, 02:42:14 PM »
>There was a lot of talks that OS4 would appear on
>the Peg1 still Genesi never signed the needed
>contracts,

Genesi doesn't have to sign anything. Every 3rd party
company can do the required certifications.

Offline Troels_E

• Show only replies by Troels_E
    • http://www.amigabounty.net
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2003, 02:45:05 PM »
@ that_punk_guy

""I don't see how distributing a crack for OS4 would automatically mean it got pirated into the ground...?""

It wouldn't, but in combination with a full distribution of OS4 it would.

Remember how sales of 3.5 & 3.9 was hurt by pirates, if that happens again it will effectively kill the Amiga.

A crack in itself is not "that" harmfull but it wouldnt take very long before it was modified to work on both pegasos1/2 and A1 and I must admit that I don't believe in peoples honesty.

When people can get somthing for free (even by stealing) without getting caught they usually go for it.

BTW: Hi Hondo, remember we met in Værløse :)
The bounty site for AmigaOS4 www.amigabounty.net

Offline Turrican2K

• Show only replies by Turrican2K
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2003, 03:45:09 PM »
Is it theoretically possible for a system like Wine for Linux (which emulates/remaps the Win32 APIs and subsystems to Linux -correct me if I'm wrong) to be written for OS4 or MOS to run native applications from the each other's side?

If Amiga and Genesi are not willing to provide methods of running each other's native applications, then maybe a 3rd party Wine-like application could be the key to bridging the divided community.

It's a thought :)

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2003, 04:28:06 PM »
Hono_DK in case ya havent been paying attention Amiga.inc has 'about a hundred dollars' in the bank and Genesi just announced Peg2 specs on IBM.com.

Amiga.inc has been playing games here, I think Genesi wouldnt mind OS4 on Pegasos! (anyone recall the public offers bbrv has made to send a Peg to Hyperion?) but Amiga.inc et al dont want to see that, their having to much fun with MS style roms and whatnot over on the A1.

(the above is strictly my opinon of course, and isnt meant to be litteral, just OPINON :)

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
Re: Pegasos running native OS4 apps?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2003, 04:38:51 PM »
I just fear people choose OS4 over MOS just because of the name

Im so tired of hearing that when many ppl have just as many reasons for choosing Aos4 as ppl have reasons for choosing MOS.

Just because ppl have different reasons to you that does not make then auto name followers no matter what reasons they give because you dont find then acceptable.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline meerschaum

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2003, 05:00:01 PM »
@Alkemyst

Though it may be true people do have some legitimate non-zealot reason for chosing OS4, when those same people

praise Amiga.inc

make excuses for Amiga.inc

claim OS4 is more 'offical'

ignore the truth (typically while blaming RWoods for the whole mess)

and sit and claim 'morphos is bad because blah blah blah "

Then you have people who slam MOS just because its not *Amiga*, had Amiga.inc created it MOS and Pegasos, those same people would be buying it most likely.

If you have a legitimate 'technical' qualm with MOS, then by all means...say it... but claiming 'it hurts Amiga.inc' or 'genesi are baddies' or whatever rhetoric you chose  dosent cut it, and when ya do it? your showing yourself to be a name follower.

(not YOU litterly Alkemyst, you as in any given person)

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2003, 05:04:00 PM »
What happens when OS4 and AmigaOne is released bigtime....and Pegasos find themselves unable to run native amiga software???

What native OS4 apps? Hopefully all important programs will have AOS/MOS/OS4 versions.

Anyone is free to produce OS4 only programs, but they will have to face a limited userbase then.

I see a split in the Amiga community coming!!!

Yes, OS4 will split the community. Emphasizing it so, that the solution which started when OS4 was not even an idea, and is available for a pretty long time (first public betas appeared long-long ago) "splits" the community, rather than the almost exact copy of it - is pretty hilarious.

MorphOS indeed splitted the community - but that split was between a solution which had nothing to do with the original AmigaOS [namely AmigaDE] and MorphOS.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2003, 05:20:28 PM »
@meerschaum

No one has to justify thier reason for choosing Aos4 or MOS to you or me or anyone else, all you can do is ask and if they choose not to tell you then that is that it does not give you the right to choose thier reason for them because they did not give you one.

Thinking the reason and telling someone thier reasons are different matters.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2003, 05:39:55 PM »
Amiga.inc has been playing games here, I think Genesi wouldnt mind OS4 on Pegasos! (anyone recall the public offers bbrv has made to send a Peg to Hyperion?) but Amiga.inc et al dont want to see that, their having to much fun with MS style roms and whatnot over on the A1.

Common business practice is that deals and licences are not handled over public forums but via official business channels, and a MorphOS mailing list or forum isn't considered an official channel. This has nothing to do with "MS style ROM's" or any such nonsense as you like to quote.

Just "offereing a Pegasos for free" is no licence application, and apart from that and the usual "we'll make it happen" nothing has happened to make AmigaOS 4 on the Pegasos (regardless of number) any more likely than it was at the very beginning.

Unless Genesi or someone else aquires a licence for OS 4, it will not automatically appear on any Pegasos hardware. And yes, I know it won't be long before I can read a "don't worry we'll make it happen" posting again, but unless you can show me a bit more substance than that, I'd be cautious before I stick my head out too far.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2003, 05:42:57 PM »
> I'd be cautious before I stick my head out too far.

I thought that all wasn't your business?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2003, 06:06:05 PM »
Unless Genesi or someone else aquires a licence for OS 4, it will not automatically appear on any Pegasos hardware

Just courious as to the point of the "licence", other than to make money for Hyperion.

MAybe I've missed something, but why should Genesi have to buy a licence from you, in order for you to be able to sell software for their product...

Shouldn't Hyperion be buying a licence from Genesi, to allow Hyperion to sell software for the Pegasos?

I seriously doubt Sony have to buy a licence from EA, to allow EA games to run on the playstation... In fact, I know it's the other way around.

Lets face facts, AOS4 on the Peg would benefit everyone, except the AROS team... hmmm, maybe it's good hyperion are not into cooperation :-)

Offline meerschaum

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2003, 06:22:45 PM »
@Rogue

I agree with bloodline, why is it that they need to a license to allow your OS to run on their hardware???, does Microsoft have to grant Asus a license? I mean come on, there are realistically two board for AOS4 right now, the Pegasos and the A1 both are pretty similer wouldnt you (Hyperion) make MORE money off of having your OS on more then one system?. I view you guys as victims here too, because you wont be selling AOS4 to people like me who have chosen the Pegasos route.

I mean you Rogue (I think your one of the Fridens? or am I wrong) worked very hard on a product, you dont want it pirated (I can understand this) but why not want it sold to as many people as possible??, now the Peg2 is coming along I hope it stirs you guys up into getting OS4 onto pegasos! :)

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2003, 06:57:24 PM »

bloodline wrote:
Lets face facts, AOS4 on the Peg would benefit everyone, except the AROS team... hmmm, maybe it's good hyperion are not into cooperation :-)

The future for amiga software, develop  for AROS and port to MOS and AOS :-)
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 12, 2003, 07:01:35 PM »

Dan wrote:

bloodline wrote:

The future for amiga software, develop  for AROS and port to MOS and AOS :-)

I couldn't agree more :-D that's actaully the easiest way to support all tree systems (and even the 68k ones if they have the CPU power).