Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moving On...  (Read 10037 times)

Description:

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Moving On...
« on: July 22, 2003, 09:32:20 PM »
After 8 years dedicated to serving the Amiga community, Amiga.org's own Wayne Hunt announces his intentions to step down as Webmaster.  Certain issues, both personal and professional play a part in his decision.  In his stead, the Moderators and other Webmasters of Amiga.org will continue the site in the spirit it was intended.  Their updated mission to provide a balanced resource for the Amiga Community on the Web.  Wayne will continue hanging about, but as a Contributing Editor.

My Friends, one and all.

This is probably the strangest news item that I've ever written for this site, or any other.  After 8+ years of working for the Amiga Community, I actually thought I'd never be writing this letter in the first place.  Essentially speaking, there are things going on in both my personal life as well as professional life which make it difficult for me to give Amiga.org the priority, time, and effort it deserves.

On the personal edge, I have a few family obligations which must be met and they will be difficult to get through.  Those who know me well know exactly what they are, but they don't need public attention here.

Professionally speaking, I have devoted the last 8+ years of my life to this community and site, while working 40+ hours per week at a regular job. Lately however, I find myself spending an average of 14 to 15 hours per day, every day behind the monitor for my livelyhood.  Hopefully given that information, you might begin to understand that "vacations" from the site are starting to come too few and far between.

Enough of the personal stuff.  Let's go into a little history lesson...

18 years ago while the 8086 was still unobtainable by most, Jay Miner and a talented crew of engineers handed the World the greatest computer ever known.  In our fervor to embrace it, most of us were disowned by the Commodore 64 clubs of the time and the Amiga community was born.  In 1991, as soon as it was practical, I started a Bulletin Board System (BBS) on a single phone line (my home phone) called "Wayne's World" to serve my local user group.  That modest BBS turned into the club's board two years later, and moving to the Web in 1995 was a natural progression that I've never looked back on.

In 1985, each of us was literally entranced by the magic of the Amiga system.  For most of us, even though the basics might have changed, and the reasons for still being here might have changed over the years, but the magic is still there.  I haven't loved the hardware, or even the software in several years, but I have *always* loved the Community around it.  I still do.  There are very few of you, after all this time, that I would not consider a personal friend.  I'm not really abandoning you, I've just decided to take a step back and follow a different road.  A different light at the end of a tunnel to get to where I want to be in my life.

So, what happens now?

Over the last year, believe it or not, you have not been alone and neither have I.  Amiga.org is not just me on a power trip, nor have most decisions and moderation been mine.  Amiga.org "belongs to the people".  It always has, despite the fact that everything has gotten so very factioned and political lately.  Each of YOU determines what news gets submitted, what conversations are discussed, what links are added, and what images everyone sees.  If you have seen an agenda, it is only because you have chosen to see it.

That being said however, there are a total of 10 people who've run Amiga.org behind the scenes and handle day-to-day moderation and help.  I have been discussing this decision with our current staff, and most of them have been very helpful in determining a direction for the site.  As of tomorrow, a couple of them will be taking on more responsibilities for the moderation and daily operations.  The ONLY mandate I have passed along is that the site must remain neutral, and work to correct any perceived problems with the neutrality of Amiga.org.

Time pending, I will stay involved in the community by way of various related projects.  In regards to Amiga.org, I intend to stay around as a contributing editor, as I will still very much have things to say in the future.  It'd probably be best however if I didn't say them in the name of Amiga.org.

Do I have a dream?

Absolutely.  Just as Amiga Inc originally saw past the classic Amiga platform, I see the potential for us all to return to being a community if we can learn to accept that we are all different, we all have different ideas, different needs, and different uses for a computer.  If we can't, we will die.  Where we once numbered in the tens of thousands or more, we are now mere thousands at best.  Though most of us will disagree as to the cause, our tiny community is being ripped apart by the very people and arrogant pride that caused it's formation all those years ago.

Step back, smell the roses, and realize that there is more to "the Amiga" than loyalty to a name brand.  There always has been.  Sure, some would say it's a name.  To some like me, it's always been about the community, to others, it's the magic in the feeling you got when you first owned one. Whatever your reasons, live and let live.  We are all friends here, or at least we once were.  The fact that we have good alternatives and positive things are now happening for the future is the absolute opposite of reason to tear the community apart...

Have fun, be safe, and prepare for the good times, down whatever road you travel.  See you at AmiWest?

Offline IanSTopic starter

• Show only replies by IanS
Re: Moving On...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 01:29:43 PM »
Wayne,

Is this for real?! :-o

I know we haven't exactly seen eye to eye over the past few months, but I totally respect and understand your decision and wish you luck for the future. You've done a lot for the community over the years, and whilst things have got a bit "heated" recently, the good times should not be forgotten.

Regards,
Ian Shurmer

Offline Crumpster

• Show only replies by Crumpster
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 01:42:12 PM »
Good Luck Wayne.

Many thanks to you for all your hard work over the years and for putting up with us for so long!!  :-P  :-D

All the best for the future, whatever you decide to do.

Best Regards,

Graham Crump
A1-XE - G4 800MHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Radeon 9250, OS 4.1
A1200T - PPC603 240MHz / 68040 50MHz, 128MB RAM, Mediator, OS 3.9 / 4.1
A1200 (No. 2) - M-TEC 68030 50MHz, 4GB CF, KS 3.0, OS 3.0
A500 - ACA500 with ACA1232.
CDTV - in Progress: SCSI, 9 pin joy/mouse connectors, KS switcher.

Non-CBM - Atari STe, Atari Falcon, Apple ][e, ZX Spectrum, CPC6128.
Gone but not forgotten (and slowly getting them back): CPC464, C64, Vic-20.

I may have a problem

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 01:43:16 PM »
A suprise announcement indeed, Glad to hear your won't be going to far though and that this site will go on.

I would like to say a big thanks for a great site even with the ups and down lately, it is by far for me the primary source of Amiga information and where the community from all sides have remained.
The community afterall and more so the past few years is what the Amiga has been about, i'd doubt alot of us would still be here without it .

Good luck Wayne and cheers :pint:

hopefully we will still see your mug on IRC to  :-)

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 01:43:36 PM »
Wayne

Best of luck. I too hope to see Amiga.org become a fairer or more
balance site, even if it is merely in the eye of the beholder. I don't
think you needed to step down to achieve that even if it is only
a part of your reasons.

Regards,

Dave.
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Zadoc

• Show only replies by Zadoc
    • http://www.zadocnightmare.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 01:45:00 PM »
Wayne:

Thanks for being the 'creator' of this small community we know as 'www.amiga.org'.  It's a valiant move to let it continue on under other webmasters and moderators rather than let it die out.

Good luck with wherever life takes you, and don't be a stranger...

Thanks and good luck.
Welcome to my Nightmare
Zadoc...and the Nightmare

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 01:46:29 PM »
Best of luck in the future Wayne.
Your hardwork for this community have been very valuable.

Your work will be missed.

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 01:49:08 PM »
good luck wayne in your future, I as are most amiga users are very gratefull for your support and dedication over the past few years. If it wasnt for you and this site im sure a lot more users would of given up and walked away. So once again I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 01:52:45 PM »
:-o :-o :-o

Well, I agree with what was said earlier:

A suprise announcement indeed, Glad to hear your won't be going to far though and that this site will go on.

Take a vacation from your professional "life", settle your family/personal issues ... and come back! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 01:57:19 PM »
:-?  :-o

Offline DamienMcKenna

• Show only replies by DamienMcKenna
Greatly appreciate the time
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 02:08:18 PM »
I just wanted to say that I greatly appreciated all the work you've done on the site over the years, it really says a lot that you've stuck through it this far.  I remember _years_ back seeing you contemplating leaving and I've always been surprised that you didn't move on like so many others.  The community owes you a major debt of gratitude for the years of devotion you've showed us.

All the very best for the future Wayne, I hope you'll finally get to have some time off to spend with your wife (gee whiz, why would you want to do that? ;-)

Thanks for everything.

Damien

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 02:08:58 PM »
Take a vacation from your professional "life", settle your family/personal issues ... and come back!

Yep. Come back. So I won't say Sayonara :-)

I respect your decision though. Wishing luck both in profession and family, and one day come and claim back the lead here :-)

Offline Wilse

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 02:21:35 PM »
@Wayne:

I have to say I was initially surprised and saddened at this announcement. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what I think of amiga.org and your efforts - anyone who's read my relentless ranting on here over the last couple of years knows how grateful I am.
I'm glad you have decided to let the site live on. You could easily have said "bollox to the lot of you", and canned it, so thanks for that. :pint:

As for the future and the factions, I own both a Pegasos and an A1 (although the Peg is in Paris ATM). It depresses me to see people getting so uptight about on or the other. They both have potential.

As someone else already said, "Don't be a stranger!".

All the best, and thanks again,
Robert.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2003, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm comments and support.  I'll always be around.  I've created an addictive substance called Amiga.org and it'll be hard to go cold turkey...  I guess I need an intervention.  :-)

In any event, there are still 9 other people who will continue to make this site possible.  Don't hesitate to ask them should you need help.

See you at AmiWest.

Wayne

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2003, 02:29:06 PM »
Blimey.

I havent always agreed with everything you've said over the years but I've kept coming back because its such a good site. Sorry to see you go.

Thanks, good luck and hope to see you around here in the future :-)
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic