Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga users who don't use graphics cards.  (Read 5915 times)

Description:

Offline Spidey

• Show only replies by Spidey
Re: Amiga users who don't use graphics cards.
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 05, 2003, 02:32:57 PM »
Hi iamaboringperson,

Count me in for a gfx-less A1200 owner :-)

I only have a hardware for the screen.....scandoubler and flickerfixer or so?
Some hardware-stuff for my modem.
A Blizzard040/40 with SCSI2 and a lot of HD's on it :-) (ofcourse also a CD-ROM and CD-Writer)

@targhan
You scare me friend :-D
What's up, what is the last thing you ate before you wrote your comments? :-D:-D

@fx
Good luck with your Peg :-)

Spidey

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2003, 02:44:54 PM »
I have 2 desktop Amiga 1200's with AGA graphics, no RTG.  When they came out with the PPC/Bvision I waited to see if they would make just a 060 w/Bvision but they never did.  I never wanted my Amiga's in a tower but would have purchased a graphics upgrade had one been made to suit my wants.

So, AGA all the way!   :-P

Now - Just waiting for a Mobo that fits my desires - maybe AmigaOne ITX formfactor?   :-D
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2003, 02:47:31 PM »
by xeron on 2003/9/5 10:36:14

2 of my 7 Amigas have graphics cards (the 4000 has a Voodoo 3, and the 1500 has a CV64/3D), although I don't use the CV64/3D as Zorro II is faaaaaar tooooooooo slooooooooow. The other Amigas don't get used for much; there isn't enough room to set them ALL up in my little flat.

@DoomMaster: The joke is getting old, you can stop trolling now.

nooo, xeron . . please . .he is a so funny boy!

Thanx to him, now i'm still understand in deep, what is a troll :-)

Let me still enjoy a little bit . ..please!

Ciao

-edit- erm . .sorry . .fro the thread, i've both on the same machine.

I've an OS3.9 boot partition with CV64 and P96 and another boot partition, with OS 3.1 and AGA for video and gaming pouropses.. . ####! pourposes.

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2003, 03:11:56 PM »
Pentium 4 PC is better then any Amiga

And my amd athlon xp is faster than both . :-)

Back to the question my a4000 has no rtg at the moment because it is dodgy until its sorted its aga only. My a500,s cdtv and a1000 and one a1200 do not use graphics cards only 2 a1200,s are and will be using them  :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2003, 03:19:07 PM »
Ok guys, please stop the genitalia comparison.  "Joking" or not.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2003, 03:52:58 PM »
Ok guys, please stop the genitalia comparison. "Joking" or not.

What comparison?

My cock is far far bigger than yours in any case  :-P
I like Amigas

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2003, 04:58:15 PM »
I'm using an A1200 and no bus expander.  I must admit that I've been using my PC more than my Amiga lately but I won't be putting money into Amiga until AmigaOS 4 comes out.  It should be able to take greatest advantage of the newer GFX cards and have all the custom chip dependancies removed.

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2003, 05:00:17 PM »
@amigaguy

:lol:  That was a good video!  LOL!  
Regards,
Targhan

Offline ipino

• Show only replies by ipino
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2003, 05:55:35 PM »
count me as one non-gfx owner... I use my A1200 rarely since I have Amithlon that's far more faster than the 030/50 and those small 16MB on the A1200 I have... and money are a big issue for me :)

And by the way I agree with who says that a P4/AMDXP is faster than any Amiga ...
Even if I 'only' have a P3 at 550MHz :)

Offline tormedhammaren

• Show only replies by tormedhammaren
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2003, 06:08:00 AM »
My Amiga 4000 uses the Picasso IV with rev A chipset. Can't complain. To bad Villagetronics don't make Amiga RTG cards anymore, they made good boards.
tormedhammaren/toddi ||==

Offline tormedhammaren

• Show only replies by tormedhammaren
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2003, 06:18:01 AM »
@iamaborringperson:

You should really suggest that the ao staff should make polls out of some of your forum subjects. ;-)
tormedhammaren/toddi ||==

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2003, 07:00:28 AM »
I guess after my silly spell is over, I can answer truthfully.  I have all of the above, and enjoy the different systems for different reasons.

I have two a1200's. One is fairly stock, 030/32M, and AGA on an old C=1084.  Nothing beats an original Amiga for those original Amiga games.  I also have an old A500 that is occationally used for gaming.  My second A1200, is in an infinitiv tower, has a mediator and a Voodoo3.  I used it for most of my daily tasks a few years back with it's little 040.

A little over a year ago, I picked up Amithlon. Sometime during the past year I picked up AmigaForever 5.x.  Now, I have a Pegasos with MorphOS as my "main" system.

I wonder if there is a rehab for those of us who've taken this whole "Amiga thing" a bit too far? :-P
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2003, 02:20:46 PM »
@Targhan

I wonder if there is a rehab for those of us who've taken this whole "Amiga thing" a bit too far? :-P

Too far??? Didn't know there was a limit!  :-D
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2003, 02:57:36 PM »
I have been a user of Commodore computers since 1982 -- I have C64 Cartridges, Cassettes, and 5¼" Disks still occupying drawer space!

My first Amiga, an A500 with KS1.2, cost over $900AUD and the only software bundled with that was WB1.2! The A2000, at $2995AUD, was out of my financial reach in 1988.

About '90 I was able to purchase my present A2000HD at a World of Commodore section which occupied two rooms at the Brisbane Computer Show. The price had been dropped to about $1499AUD and I fairly jumped at THIS opportunity.

In mid-'91, I travelled 1000km to attend World of Commodore in Sydney. This was an all-Commodore weekend event that had stands which included local CBM dealers, CBM-Australia, GVP products, OpalVision, Software stands, Amiga Format (UK), and others. There were seminars also.
I went back to Brisbane with a GVP G-Force 030/40/4 accellerator, the WB2.05 Install, various software, a Pen-mouse (which turned out to be bloody useless), and an A600HD with a 30Mb Hard Drive!

NOW I had an 030 A2000 with Hard Drive, 4Mb FAST & WB1.3 & WB2.05 -- an A600HD -- and an A500. I had a Hand Scanner which would NOT install to Hard Drive and was used with the A500. I had my second video-framegrabber (VidiAmiga+VidiRGB) which was attached to the A2000's parallel-port via a switchbox. I used a SVHS Camcorder for colour with the framegrabber while the Hand Scanner dealt with B&W.

When I acquired my second Hand Scanner, which was HDD installable, I sold-off the A500 along with the first Hand Scanner.

In 1992(?) the A1200 was released and I bought an A1200HD (40Mb HDD) for $1400AUD in a strange local pricing-deal in which I traded-in a manual typewritter! Not long after that, the A4000/030 was announced!!!

Graphics Cards were fairly coming along in the Amiga scene. I had my eye on a 32bit Card from GVP which could be fitted in my A2000 - the awesome Spectrum 110/24!
RAM can be expanded up to 8MB; allowing 1600 x 1280 at 24bit and 80Hz. It has a pixel clock of 110Mhz.
THIS was a very expensive GFX Card!

But this was not to be for, when I had saved some cash and phoned a US dealer, I found that this Card was no longer sold! I made a quick (on-phone) switch to the Picasso II.

I decided to:
 ° Expand the CHIP RAM to 2Mb.
 ° Expand FAST RAM to 8Mb.
 ° Buy a Samsung SyncMaster 15GLi (which cost near $1000AUD)

When I put it ALL togather I think that OS3.1 was included at THAT time. THIS A2000 became quite different. I'm STILL using the Picasso II and Samsung monitor, although the A2000 is 060 and 64Mb presently. I use a HP ScanJet, TVPaint, and ImageFX.
WB from 2001
Screen sizes
Flatbed, SCSI-tower and A2000

The Picasso II turned out to be a good choise as that GVP Spectrum 110/24 remained locked to the older EGS display standard. I've not found the need to buy a WinTel system. . . . . . . just waiting now for the AmigaOneG4XE, and OS4!

-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2003, 02:58:28 PM »
IamAboringPerson: I hope you read this:

the amount of people you see in here that don't have graphics cards is not accurate. Infact probably most of the people who are replying here have gfx cards. but there are more Amiga users without them who are not able to get on here and speak.
 I really recommend that you support from ECS and up to AGA. If you are making some sort of software, take the route of Psygnosis....though at the time many Amigas had more than 1 meg of Ram, Psygnosis made a majority of their games to require only 512k....why? because one thing you know for sure is that Every single Amiga user has at least 512k so you know your game will work on every Amiga. And you will have a bigger audience to sell your product to. It is extremely important that you support most Amigas because there aren't many of us out there so you need to reach as many Amigans as possible, to make the most income possible.

Let me tell you, I still use ECS and AGA, and I love it to death, I have excellent, and I mean Excellent software that runs on ECS even some that still run on the A1000. The reason I dont Use gfx cards is because the Amiga was special in that it had direct Video output in NTSC, the only way I would use Gfx cards in My Amiga is if someone made a gfx card that could dispay 16 million colors in at least 800 x 600 and output it in  flickerless NTSC S-Video or even HDTV...and not on a stupid VGA monitor which gives me the feeling I am using a PC. I hate VGA with a Passion, and to me its not Amiga like.....in that case I would rather get A full blown PC wich has ten times better Gfx cards than Amigas currently. It seems these days like we are trying to be like a PC copying PCI cards and USB and all that trash wich just gives for less compatibility and more unsatble OS like Windows will always be.........

What are the only computers in the world that never crash???     Game consoles!  Playstation, DreamCast, N64, GameCube..................why?  because they don't have 20 different companies making Gfx cards for them so that programs have to figure out what kind of card you got in particular a certain user has. I believe in Standards. Any new Amigas released should come standard with One and Only one Chipset that is totally up to date but can be upgraded But only by the Parent company.....that way all products will always work for that machine.  I am all for expandability.....but only for things like Video Toaster, DSS8+, Imapct Vision 24, Amiga LIVE!, Scala Echo, and all these type of cool gadgets..............bt as far as Sound Cards and RTG? no way jose.....16million colors and High resolutions should be standard in new Amigas but Out Put in High Definition TeleVision..............This is what an Amiga is   New High quality Arcade games in Dolby Surround,  A new Super Video Toaster............Video, Video, Video, otherwise if Amiga becomes like a PC with PCI slots....non standard Joysticks (only one stupid port) than why dontI just Buy a PC with Windows XP? I can emulate an Amiga on there nicely....and in the future I will be able to emulate an AmigaONE!!!  so why waste my money? why?   Amiga need to get on their Butts and open their eyes...........Amigas are different and thats why we use them!  keep them different and don't give in to the PC and Mac sillyness,  We have got it right the first time with a custom chipset........lets keep it that way ( of course with a totally new custom chipset thats upgradable)
 If I ever do get a Gfx card, it is soley because I love my Amiga and would rather generate 16 Million color animations and Pictures on my Amiga than a PC........be even so, I would be doing this just to convert them back to AGA and ECS!
nuff said!
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...