Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Indivision AGA Flicker Fixer/Scandoubler  (Read 6178 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
Indivision AGA Flicker Fixer/Scandoubler
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »
Just received and installed mine in my PAL A1200 system this afternoon. AWESOME piece of "kit" as the Brits say. Thanks to Joe at Softhut for getting this out so promptly. Couple of minor gripes:

1) Can not use harddrive bracket any longer and had to modify the RF shield to get it to fit. Did not modify it too badly however. Placed come non-conductive tape/foam on top of the Indivision card and velcro'd my 2.5" HD to what was left of the RF shield.

2) NO VGA MOUNT! In the manual it states "may supply if demand becomes great enough". BS. That should have been included from the get go. Oh well, damn dongle just flapping in the breeze. No biggy I guess. Just kinda of amateurish looking.

3) there is a scan line missing, but only down the 2/3's spot on the bottom right of my monitor. Have played around with settings to no avail. Not a huge problem given I use my machines mostly for gaming, but what gives? Am I missing something here or is this an undesirable byproduct of using this device?

4) Star Trek 25th Anniversary AGA no longer works. No matter the mode, memory usage, etc., my machine crashes an ugly Windoze type death. Wreaks havoc on the HD also until it finally settles down and returns to zippy A1200 normal.

All in all, so far, I am extremely happy with the output quality. The fact it converts PAL/NTSC images to the slop they are producing today is a miracle for ALL Amiga users  :-)  

Offline tribz

• Show only replies by tribz
Re: Indivision AGA Flicker Fixer/Scandoubler
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
I'll add my feedback as well ...

First off, GREAT bit of kit. Makes a big difference to the display.

Cons for me are ...

PC Key 1200. Adaptor catches the top of the indivision so it cant seat properly. Push the PC Key 1200 too much and the indi pops off.

Fast ATA MKIII. A BVision rom socket kit is needed to raise the Fast ATA so that the indivision can sit underneath it. If you then have a mediator, it cant seat properly because of the now raised Fast ATA. If you force it all in, its far too tight and bulges upwards in the middle of the mediator and probably downwards on the miggy board)(I darent even switch it on). Also, the mediator then sits on top of the now uneven PC Key adaptor. Screw a PCI card down and this pushs the PC Key down wich in turn looses the Indivision.

I think the above is only a PCB size / shape issue. Maybe it'll be sorted in Indivision 2

Oh, and yes the VGA mount would have been useful.

Hope Jens doesnt take this as critism, I love what the indi does but addressing the above will make it even better.

tribz

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:57:45 AM »

I think the above is only a PCB size / shape issue. Maybe it'll be sorted in Indivision 2

I wouldn't hold my breath. The investment in the PCB design is now over.

Shame there are a few issues especially if as you say they could have been discovered and fixed before production with a little more experimentation. You sure they could have been worked around?

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:08:56 AM »

alexh wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath. The investment in the PCB design is now over.

Shame there are a few issues especially if as you say they could have been discovered and fixed before production with a little more experimentation.

I think you are 100% right alexh, but these reports from the first few buyers are very useful to other potential buyers that might have the same add-ons on their A1200's.

I don't think anyone can blame Jens for not designing with every other A1200 add-on that is available, as there are so many different ones, but I am surprised that the hdd cradle can no longer be used when the IndivisionAGA is installed, as most buyers will have that bit of kit in their A1200's and there was no previous discussion about this being a problem.  The small modification to the RF shielding is not a big surprise, as many additions to Amigas require some kind of RF shield cutting, bending or partial removal.

Thanks for the reviews guys.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »
Does the Indivision cover up the IDE port on the mobo?  If not, then I'd be plenty happy to switch to a FlashIDE module, anyway.  Right now my 4GB CF is sitting in an adapter mounted to the HD bracket.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:11:37 AM »

LoadWB wrote:
Does the Indivision cover up the IDE port on the mobo?  If not, then I'd be plenty happy to switch to a FlashIDE module, anyway.  Right now my 4GB CF is sitting in an adapter mounted to the HD bracket.

No it doesn't cover the port, just use a CF card and all is well :)

As a bonus the CF will be less of a strain on your PSU than a 'real' HD.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:17:27 AM »
NovaCoder wrote:

No it doesn't cover the port, just use a CF card and all is well :)

As a bonus the CF will be less of a strain on your PSU than a 'real' HD.

Nah, I'd use one of these:

http://www.transcendusa.com/products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=27&LangNo=0

http://www.transcendusa.com/products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=28&LangNo=0

Offline gklinger

• Show only replies by gklinger
    • http://www.vex.net/~falco
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:12:59 AM »
Are you sure the Indivision will work fit with that flash module in place? I read (on EAB, I think) that they won't. I've got one here (the flash module) but my Indivision hasn't arrived yet so I can't check for myself.
Call me Golan; my parents did.

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
Can someone take a pic of the board installed?  I'm not getting one or anything, but I would really like to see how it fits.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline Chrome

• Show only replies by Chrome
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »

skurk wrote:
Can someone take a pic of the board installed?  I'm not getting one or anything, but I would really like to see how it fits.

Here`s mine:

IndivisionAGA installed
***A500rev6/1MB/kick1.3/dual floppydrive heaven!***

***A1200/Kick3.1/Blizzard 030@50MHz32MB/4GB CF HD/IDEFix/IndivisionSD/FF***

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »
Regarding the PCKEY 1200.

It is possible to cut it to fit over the Indivision. There is only one track near the area that you need to avoid cutting.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/2854597506_090f9a8e93_o.jpg

Offline Jope

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »

LoadWB wrote:

Do a price comparison between a 44pin -> CF adapter + suitably sized CF card and one of those flash modules with the same capacity and your opinion may change.

Offline Protek

• Show only replies by Protek
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »
I'll probably remove the RF shielding for now and store it for safe keeping but in case I get the urge to modify it, do I have to cut the whole area of the SD/FF board?
A4000/040 3.1/3.1, 2 MB Chip, 24 MB Fast, Piccolo SD64 2MB, GVP A2000mHC+8 Rev2, 4 GB CF HD via CF IDE
A1200 3.1/3.9, Blizzard 1230MkIV 030@50 with SCSI kit, 2 MB Chip, 128 MB Fast, 1 GB CF HD via CF IDE
A600 3.1/3.1, 2 MB Chip, A603, 1GB CF HD via CF IDE

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 01:04:43 PM »

Jope wrote:

LoadWB wrote:

Do a price comparison between a 44pin -> CF adapter + suitably sized CF card and one of those flash modules with the same capacity and your opinion may change.

I already have, and I have come to the conclusion that a CF-IDE adapter plus CF card is no match versus an all-in-one solution rated for industrial usage and longevity.  The IDE Flash is a much more elegant and less awkward solution.

Besides, we're Amigans... since when does price become an issue? :crazy:  We'll plop a couple of clams on a FF/SD, a couple more clams on a USB interface, but then decide to skimp on ~$45?  That's patently unAmigan.

And to stay more on topic, it looks possible to fit the vertical unit in the 1200, and the Indivision leaves plenty of space around the IDE port for it.  The horizontal unit may take some wedge-work, though.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »

gklinger wrote:
Are you sure the Indivision will work fit with that flash module in place? I read (on EAB, I think) that they won't. I've got one here (the flash module) but my Indivision hasn't arrived yet so I can't check for myself.

Looks like there's loads of room for a flash module.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!