Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yet another year, another month and another week...  (Read 1325 times)

Description:

Offline sdyatesTopic starter

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
Yet another year, another month and another week...
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
A few years ago the mention of AROS or MorphOS grab some angry responses because it was felt that we should band aroudn a single operating system project.

In 2008, OS 4.0, the best commercial project is tied up in legal lymbo and has been promised for the better part of a decade with different reasons each year for halted progress (in terms of availability for purchase).

OS5.0 with all its promises of grandure has been released. Yet we there is still no way to run the operating system on any current hardware natively.

AROS continues to move forward -- More than ever, is this not the proper way to move forward. Due to the nature of its licensing and openness, is it not the only possible solution for us? A project that allows all in the community to develop for it?
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
Re: Yet another year, another month and another week...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:03:22 PM »
@sdyates

Is AROS the proper way to move forward? In my opinion, yes and no.

Yes because it keeps on getting stronger and provides us with an opportunity to avoid legal/financial complications.
No because I would like to see as much Amiga development as possible, and even if all Amiga users chose to support AROS, the developers of OS4 and MorphOS are unlikely to start developing for it.

In other words, lets support all Amiga projects, commercial and open source. That way, if/when the commercial stuff falls away we'll have a brilliant open source OS to work with.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline Mangar

• Show only replies by Mangar
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »
I agree. People have to stop trying to make money and place more effort into creating a platform to take advantage of the current userbase enabling them to make money in the future.

I think AROS has the best future.

Allow me to run AmigaOS on a mac or ANY PPC system. Hey, if it was available for x86 I'd buy a copy this second.

Since MorphOS is designed for the same hardware as AmigaOS it is stuck in the same pit as well.
Waiting for X1000

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:25:50 PM »
Just over 8 years ago I decided that AROS was the way forward. At the time I had just gone to University and my A1200 was no longer useful. I needed modern Software running on fast machines... I found myself in the Uni-Computer labs using aged Windows 3.11 on 300Mhz Pentium II's... pretty much every day.

Despite my 240Mhz PPC, the PII's were faster and more capable... better graphics, better audio, more peripherals... and importantly cheaper... But the OS (Win 3.11 sucked)... I realised then, that the AmigaOS needed to be running on this new, commodity hardware.

DosUAE ran rather well on these machines and was faster than my 68040+AGA... plus it could use the PC gfx cards etc... that was fun for a while... but I wanted AmigaOS native. So I joined the AROS dev list in 1999 and got to try the early technical demos from Michal Shulz... the first of which did nothing more than print a few lines of text on the screen assuring you that exec.library was running the machine :-)

Then intuition started working... so we got a window with a smiley face and mouse pointer... and I've watched, and committed code,  and AROS has grown... It feels a bit like my baby since I've been so intimately involved watching it develop. I have, quite deservedly, picked up the reputation of an AROS troll :-D But despite that, I feel it is the only way way for the design AmigaOS concept (as flawed for modern computing as it is) to survive.

What really makes it stand above all the other projects has nothing to do with the fact that it's free... nothing to do with the fact it runs on any cheap, powerful modern hardware... nothing to do with the fact it's open source... but rather the fact that it's a community project... I've been involved in design discussions and it has allowed me to understand how the OS works... and the best thing of all is that anyone can do the same!!! Any one of you can join in the debates, download the source code and see how the real live Amiga OS works, and decide the future for yourself... no sheep waiting for other people to spoon feed you their vision.

Ok rant over.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 02:09:11 AM »
AROS is the way forward.  The Company that currently bears the Amiga name does so having never in it's seven or so years of existence ever produced anything that would run on an Amiga.  Amiga is dead, long live AROS!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:13:54 AM »
I'm living in a dream where Amiga OS (any version to 3.9) and Kickstart is given open source to the community.. And when some one finds the blueprints to the custom chipsets and made it public.

BTW, any of you old school guys who know a guy who knew someone and spoke with Jay Miner (God rest his soul) about this?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:20:19 AM »

Krusher wrote:
I'm living in a dream where Amiga OS (any version to 3.9) and Kickstart is given open source to the community.. And when some one finds the blueprints to the custom chipsets and made it public.

It's no dream... You have MiniMig and AROS. Everything needed to build a totally open source Amiga.

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:02:49 AM »
Minimig and AROS is not the same. Unless someone proves me that eighter one is 100% compatible with nasty demo's running on actual original hardware, and on those platforms.

Hard hitting software on the hardware is part of the package.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 05:24:57 AM »

Take a look at Phase I and PhaseII kick start replacement bounties.

Dammy
TeamAROS
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.