Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Please stop copying Starfighter.  (Read 6866 times)

Description:

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
Re: Stop copying Starfighter.
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »

DrewFX wrote:
Oh yeah, I think it might be possible to run Torque on the Amiga with a re-write of the platform layer, which means I can code Starfighter on the PC and then export to Amiga real quick.  Of course I'm going to need a compiler on the Amiga to do all this.

A beta port of the Torque engine already exists, I don't know about its current status though:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29&forum=3&post_id=371

check post #19 for a video of the engine in action.

Varthall

EDIT: apparently, the link tag on amiga.org seems to not be working  :-?
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline DrewFXTopic starter

• Show only replies by DrewFX
    • http://www.drewfx.com
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 03:32:05 PM »
This is really cool if it's still in product and working.  I will be following this up.  This will mean any game I make will be easily ported to the Amiga.  

Offline nianfur

• Show only replies by nianfur
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 05:10:22 PM »
Ok I read this thread and have one question, Was this game only licenced out in 1999-2000 and from 2001 to the present day it has been unlicenced and unavailable for purchase?

If that is the case then the person who really should be slapped is not the pirates but infact you, for abandoning the amiga community, for removing a product you yourself created and had available for purchase from the amiga stores.

Ofcourse if you had a legally available version of your game available and still in production then I will apologise, but to me it doesn't sound like you did.

So basically people like you (or the you, you sound like) are the main reason the amiga died. They either released a product and removed it from production early, or released a product and removed support entirely so it was still filled with bugs.

That to me is more disgusting, and now your going to kick in the balls the only few amiga companies left to sell anything amiga related and scrambling for the few cents left so they can stay afloat, the people desperate for anything that would actually sell as amiga development has ground to a halt.

So I can't really cry for you, sorry.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2007, 05:20:45 PM »
@keropi: thx. i'll check it out.

btw, I cant decompress the .lha file.. -lh6- unrecognized format.. which lha/lx decompressor do I need?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
Where can we download it from?  Whats the specs?  ECS?  AGA?  RTG?  

I'll give it a try.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2007, 07:46:42 PM »

DrewFX wrote:
All good arguments there.  Everyone's opinion is valid.  Thanks for the extra links provided and tracking down sellers.

My main point is I don't see why people should still be using my software to make money.  They should go make something themselves and sell it for profit.  I'm sure they're not making too much.  One ebayer is selling a copy for 5 pounds, and relists every month.  So thats 60 pounds (or $150 Australia) a year for the last seven years I didn't get - so boo hoo to me - but you see my point?  It's the principal of the thing that gets to me.

It has been and still is protected by Australian copyright law, and I don't want anyone to sell it or copy and make money from it - even if it is to cover cost of packaging, postage etc. - without my permission.

I just wanna be asked is all.  I don't see why you would need to charge for burning it to cd and posting it to someone.  I mean who are you going to be posting it to?  It should only be a mate who doesn't have an internet connection and why would you charge him?

Regarding the game - I think it's fun, but make sure you play it on a 68030 or better to get good frame rates.  I have also sucessfully run it on WinUAE - you only need Workbench 1.3 disks to get it to work.  A 1.5 gig computer should run it.

Thanks for the interest everyone.  I'm not trying to make a fuss - just go out and enjoy the game.  I hope to have a new version of Starfighter for people to play soon.  I expect a tech demo ready by December.  Though it will be PC I want to port it back to the Amiga later.

It's your software it's your right.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 08:53:48 PM »
@ nianfur

who rattled your cage, one of those who got caught selling it I take it.

Most of the people who sell things like this have never been involed in the amiga scene in a professional way and are just trying to scam momey out of die hard fans.  

People like you make me sick. You and others like you think you have the right to do what you like with other people hard work.  

Just because they decide to stop selling it gives no one else the right to sell it just because its no lonfer available
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 09:04:55 PM »
Sometimes I see the point of view of the arguments that these games are unavailable and not for sale so what's the harm.

Then I remember that these people are selling someone else's work.  It is a low thing to do.  The very least they could do is keep a percentage aside (however small) and forward this to the author.

If they had any enthusiasm for keeping old software alive and circulating, they wouldn't be charging money for it.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Please stop copying Starfighter.
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 09:59:33 PM »
@swift240:

I deleted your post because I didnt feel like editing your language even though you used a "*".  Clean it up.

@all:

so anyway, decompressing a -lh6- file ?  which util on aminet do I need to do this?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline swift240

• Show only replies by swift240
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »
Not a problem I will use all **** from now on, I usually do, but who ever reads it will know exactly what is meant.

But those sort of people seem to get away with a lot.

To me they are parasites (not a swear word), scum (not a swear word) Inconsiderate (not a swear word), low life (not a swear word/s)

Go on have another go.

:pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2007, 05:55:17 AM »
@nianfur - Valid point there.  I didn't have the money to continually sell it after I finished the deal with my publisher. I had no online method either.  I would if I had the technology.

@swift240 - I missed out on some good profanity?  Was it about me?  Where's the love?

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 08:12:11 AM »
nianfur wrote:

...snip...

If that is the case then the person who really should be slapped is not the pirates but infact you, for abandoning the amiga community, for removing a product you yourself created and had available for purchase from the amiga stores.

Ofcourse if you had a legally available version of your game available and still in production then I will apologise, but to me it doesn't sound like you did.

So basically people like you (or the you, you sound like) are the main reason the amiga died. They either released a product and removed it from production early, or released a product and removed support entirely so it was still filled with bugs.

That to me is more disgusting, and now your going to kick in the balls the only few amiga companies left to sell anything amiga related and scrambling for the few cents left so they can stay afloat, the people desperate for anything that would actually sell as amiga development has ground to a halt.

So I can't really cry for you, sorry.

First off, dammit, it's "you're" not "your".  "You're" is a contraction of "you are" and "your" shows ownership.  Your grammar, poor spelling, and poor arguments all serve the implication of ignorance.

Second off, this line of thought is parasitic.  There are a number (I can't use the term "plenty" unfortunately) of legitimate Amiga sources selling legitimate Amiga software and hardware.  Making a profit off the remaining Amiga supporters and enthusiasts, and newbies who don't know any better, by taking advantage of software which is either freely available or only available as illegitimate copies is a flat out crime against the community.

Once again, arguments like yours fall flat.  People like DrewFX did not kill the Amiga -- check your history, you'll find that the Amiga community was falling apart if not fallen apart already by this time, and his contribution was made to bolster the remnants.  And what of Holger Kruse, from whom we can no longer purchase registrations of one of the best TCP/IP stacks for the Amiga: does his AWOL status serve to destroy the Amiga community?  Should either still expend the resources necessary to maintain production when sales drop below maintainable levels?

Your logic says that we should feel sorry for the Chinese companies producing cheap knock-offs of the iPhone because Apple reduced the price of the genuine article.

Pooh on you and your compatriots.

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »

coldfish wrote:
Ok, emotional/irrational arguments aside.

Seeing as its now -free- software, what's to stop me burning it to disk and selling it for the -cost- of the CD-R, jewel case, printing, postage, packaging + 20minutes of my time?

I cant believe you guys are so precious about ~10 year old software on a dead (market wise) platform.

:crazy:

Lets look at it a different way...

On myspace theres a load of unsigned bands with their songs available to download for free so they can get publicity, gigs, and maybe some kind of recording contract.

So would it be acceptable for me to download a load of these songs burn them to a CD and then start selling an album called "Songs of Myspace" without giving them any money or even informing them im doing it!!

I Think Not

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:03 AM »

foleyjo wrote:

coldfish wrote:
<<< snip

Lets look at it a different way...

On myspace theres a load of unsigned bands with their songs available to download for free so they can get publicity, gigs, and maybe some kind of recording contract.

So would it be acceptable for me to download a load of these songs burn them to a CD and then start selling an album called "Songs of Myspace" without giving them any money or even informing them im doing it!!

I Think Not

I totally agree with you, however putting content on the net is opening yourself up to this kind of abuse.  I dont think its -worth- getting too upset when the abuse happens.  Sorry, I just dont.

In addition, if the content is of questionable quality/usefulness/relevance ie; old/obsolete ect, then the effort is further wasted (imo).

As a product designer Ive had a fair bit of experience with IP violations of my own & client's IP.  In most cases it's better/cheaper/smarter to accept that a certain amount of infringement is going to occur and get on with the next big product, instead of wasting time/energy/money tracking down copyright violators.

meh.

thing/thing/thing... :-D

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2007, 12:46:32 PM »
[/quote]
As a product designer Ive had a fair bit of experience with IP violations of my own & client's IP.  In most cases it's better/cheaper/smarter to accept that a certain amount of infringement is going to occur and get on with the next big product, instead of wasting time/energy/money tracking down copyright violators.[/quote]

Well this is a lively debate hey?

@coldfish - I totally see your point.  I think the best games makers can hope for is 2 months of sales at launch before the pirates step in.  That's about how long it takes for someone to break the latest Starforce encryption.

Offline Angus

• Show only replies by Angus
    • http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html
« Reply #59 from previous page: September 20, 2007, 02:43:10 PM »

DrewFX wrote:
Well this is a lively debate hey?

Agreed - Andrew, as this thread is getting a bit "polarised", is there any chance you would post any further info regarding actual Starfighter developments (as opposed to the whole copyright thing) to a new thread?

Just a thought.  :-)