Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?  (Read 3843 times)

Description:

Offline ptek

• Show only replies by ptek
Re: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 03:12:27 PM »
Getting new Hardware working, is close to impossible for a "normal" user.

It is impossible for a "normal" user!

Just look at the people who have dificulties with installing (even software) on Windows ...

Onions have layers ...

Offline pVC

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 03:52:29 PM »
Definitely not the Linux.

And btw. there is Gimp for Amiga.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 04:15:49 PM »
MacOS X the closest to AmigaOS I have found.

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »
motorollin wrote:
BTW, Ubuntu has a live CD version so you can try it out without committing to install it.

Do you have a link where to download that?

I've been thinking a while about giving Linux a try, but as I have but 1 harddisk with 2 partitions which are both crammed with stuff I need a version which boots from CD.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »
unix was developed in 1969, tripos was based on unix  and written in bcpl a c-like language in 1976, later when the os was being develped for amiga a change was made when metacomco was contacted for an os. they took a 68k version of tripos and developed it for the amigas hardware.

in the 80s many many programs were ported from unix for the amiga including rendering programs, text stuff, spreadsheet programs, lots of postscript programs etc etc. go to aminet and type in unix into the search you will find lots of programs including games that were ported

go to google or any other search engine and type in amigados unix tripos and you will find os history sites some of which actually call tripos a unix clone although it is not. amigados is a direct offshoot of tripos, which is an indirect ofshoot of unix. there was a lot of os development especially in american universities in the 70's that was based more or less on unix. including minux which infuenced linux.

software porting has stopped for many reasons not the least of which is the fact that many of the programmers who were doing the porting have moved over to linux, and the fact that most amigans dont run an x-window server which is neccisary for newer software even though they could.  
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »
mac osx is based directly on bsd unix.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »
a few years ago I put Red Hat on my laptop. I use it for making web pages and several other activities and it works just fine for my purposes.

by now, it's an "old" kernal and I should get something newer. Maybe Ubuntu. I haven't decided yet.

anyway, my system is stable - it's why I haven't changed it for so long. I never have to monkey with it. it just works. I like that. I can't so everything (it IS old, after all).

And while it's not exactly like AmigaOS, it's fun. and it doesn't blow up like windows can. the weirdest concept is that everything is a "file".
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Donar

• Show only replies by Donar
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »

Anding wrote:
I love the Amiga but I now need more.   If I distil what I love about the Amiga it is

- Transparency.  With a little time you can understand all that is going on with the operating system, what all the files on your HDD do, and how things work "under the hood".  Contrast this with Windows which is a black box with millions of almost unknowable pieces.

-I will keep using my Amigas (under UAE, with AmiBlitz to be precise), ..., but get access to new hardware, graphics acceleration, new coding opportunities...

Andy

Why not get a PegasosII? It runs Linux and MorphOS, which is an Amiga like operating system itself. You can use Radeon cards up to the Radeon 9250 and even 3d drivers are there. I have to admit that there is a way bigger developer community for Linux x86 than for PPC Linux.

Bye
<- Amiga 1260 / CD ->
Looking for:
A1200/CF CFV4/@200,256MB,eAGA,SATA,120GB,AROS :D

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 07:06:38 PM »
Also remember there is Kubuntu aswell...

both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are nice..

I don't want to start a Window Manager war but..
KDE imho, is a bit more intuitive than Gnome.
Plus you get alot of slick KDE gui's for almost every application that's worth it... And to streamline the
Gui even more the GTK -> QT skinning engine is not bad
at all... It's not quite a rush yet, but it will be some day :)

It is a hawk on your computer resources though...
Untill KDE4 is out that is :)

Just my two cents on this...

Offline KThunder

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »
how much would a pegasos setup cost and where can you get it. its been a while since i last checked
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 09:04:56 PM »
Last time I looked on Amigakit a Pegasos 2 was around £350 (I think about $700.) That was just the board and processor (1GHz) though.

Offline Donar

• Show only replies by Donar
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 09:24:27 PM »
The PegasosII Motherboard with 1 GHZ CPU module costs $499/€415 according to Genesi's webshop. At least you had to add a case,psu,Ram,Mouse and Keyboard to the setup, if you already have CD-Rom, HD and a VGA Monitor.

Bye
<- Amiga 1260 / CD ->
Looking for:
A1200/CF CFV4/@200,256MB,eAGA,SATA,120GB,AROS :D

Offline KThunder

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2006, 09:47:18 PM »
shoot thats a bit out of my range right not, oh well
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Fraccy

• Show only replies by Fraccy
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2006, 11:47:54 PM »
Hmmm... I'm going to stick my opinion in and comment on the original questions posted...

Linux is perhaps MORE transparent than Amiga, simply because it's Open Source.  The converse to this is that, of course, it's slightly more complicated.

It's powerful, multi-tasking, works with most hardware, and the software components have been tried and tested over years - the core utils are tight and elegant.

The directory structure makes sense just as much as the Amiga's.  Just remember that Unix and Linux are multi-user; that's why you get directories like /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin, etc.

The major distros are extremely complex, and that includes Ubuntu.  But not many people realise that all that's needed to get a completely functional DOS-style command line up and running is a working kernel (compiled specifically for your hardware), and a few core commands, libraries and devices.  Literally a few MB!  And surprisingly easy to do.

I've seen an entire console-based system take up less than 128MB: wordprocessor, database, spreadsheet, email, web browser (with graphics and JavaScript!), instant messenger, mp3 player, CD and DVD player (yes, running in the console!), picture and PDF viewer, games and utilities...

After that you can add a cut-down version of Xorg and a simple window manager, and you've got a functional GUI.  (There are many, many window managers, from ultra-simple, mouseless jobs like RatPoison and Ion, to behemoths like KDE and Gnome.)

But the best way to learn Linux (and realise that it's not really that far distant from Amiga) is to build it yourself.  Try Gentoo or Linux-from-Scratch and get your hands dirty by putting together a minimal system (there are a few how-tos out there).  Linux can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.  If you want efficiency and elegance, do it yourself.  I've never come across another OS that gives you so much choice!

Offline Reactioned

• Show only replies by Reactioned
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2006, 11:50:25 PM »
amigados is based on unix, thats why it is so easy to port unix programs over.

WTF?

Any way, I find Linux not only to be cryptic, but bloated and sluggish as well. Nothing like an Amiga. Haven't tried Slackware though.

I do like though those OpenGL OS-X style GUI's. Cool the way a window moves around like a big jelly when it is dragged.
Wandering \\\'round the fringe.

Offline Reactioned

• Show only replies by Reactioned
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 26, 2006, 11:56:44 PM »
Sorry for jumping in back there. I'm doing this on a phone and missed reading the last dozen posts.
amiga.org PDA version anyone?
Wandering \\\'round the fringe.