Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New guy with lots of questions  (Read 2400 times)

Description:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: New guy with lots of questions
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 07:26:08 PM »
Carls

WTF? Don't you understand how COOL it is to have  a REAL Amiga and not a cheap x86 box running emu??

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »

tonyvdb wrote:
The drawback with Amiga forever (That I do have by the way) is that not all games/programs run properly and sometimes need alot of fiddling of the settings to make work.

Get and Amiga 4000 or 1200 and you will be a happy camper :-D

I'm willing to bet you'll have a harder time getting the games to work on an A4000 than in UAE. But yeah, nothing beats the feeling of real hardwware.
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline carls

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »

magnetic wrote:
Carls

WTF? Don't you understand how COOL it is to have  a REAL Amiga and not a cheap x86 box running emu??

No, I own four Amigas because I hate them and want them to rot away in a dark corner of my basement. :)

But seriously, if you're just going to do some retro-gaming every now and again WinUAE is just a lot mor hassle-free.

It's kind of like how I have no problem with watching C64 demos in VICE, while at the same time, real C64 sceners try to code their demos so that they won't work in VICE :)

Offline ArchMTopic starter

• Show only replies by ArchM
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 10:28:48 PM »
I just love collecting too much to settle for an emulator.  I like the feel of looking at the system, or holding the controller/joystick and sitting on my couch.  

As of now, I am going to keep my eyes open for either an NTSC 1200, or an SX-1.  The CD32's seem to get sold often enough, and though I will one day want both the 1200 AND the CD32, I am going to wait to get the CD32 after I find the rarer SX-1.  
Whichever comes along first, the SX-1 or 1200, will dictate how I begin playing my first games on Amiga systems ever.  

Strangely, most of my favorite games were ports of Amiga games!  Out of this World is my favorite game OF ALL TIME, and low and behold - Amiga.  I tell you, I cannot WAIT to get into these games, there are just soooooo many.  

Offline carls

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 10:35:25 PM »

ArchM wrote:
I just love collecting too much to settle for an emulator.  I like the feel of looking at the system, or holding the controller/joystick and sitting on my couch.  

I'd love to see some photos of your collection.

Also - and this might sound patronizing, but I assure you it isn't - how old are you? I'm just curious since you haven't heard about the Amiga.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 04:11:35 AM »
A few things I don't like are the cheap feeling of a PC keyboard, the different layout, the lack of A/A keys and no light in the caps lock key!

:-D ;-)

And there's the issue of Amiga hardware not being compatible with a PC... how do you use the software then?

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 02:25:52 PM »

Also - and this might sound patronizing, but I assure you it isn't - how old are you? I'm just curious since you haven't heard about the Amiga.

I am 26 now.  Now, I have HEARD of Amiga, however I had no idea what it/they actually were/are.  I always assumed that there were some kind of Atari type system.  I was always into video games, but I only ever had access to what I saw on the TV, which was pretty much the standard consoles.  I had NO IDEA there was so much to offer from these machines.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 03:19:24 PM »
I had NO IDEA there was so much to offer from these machines.

Here is my setup and it is no where neer what some have done to there Amigas. The first picture is of my full video editing system. The Amiga runs hardware and software called the Video Toaster Flyer.
Look Here

The second is after I put my Amiga 4000 into a Tower case and added a Cyberstorm PPC 68060/50Mhz CPU with128 mb of ram and a 9gig SCSI hard drive (plenty of space as the Amiga OS only uses about 100mb of drive space).
Click Here
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline monty

• Show only replies by monty
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 07:49:27 PM »
@Tonyvdb:

How much for that setup???

I want it badly !!!!!!!!! It rocks !!!

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 08:53:06 PM »
LOL, No price at this time I wouldent sell it :-D
Seriously over the past 12 years that I have owned it I have probably invested about $6000 in it and another $1000 on VTRs.   In 1994 when I bought the Amiga 4000 with the Toaster and Flyer with hard drives from a friend that used it in a recording studio that I helped out in and got it all for $5000 (at the time it was cutting edge and that was a steal of a deal) before that I had an Amiga 3000 tower with the Video Toaster (no Flyer) I wanted the A4000 so badly.
Now with the convenience of capturing my final video clips to the PC I can burn DVDs of my finnished video the quality is just fantastic.
Today I doupt I would get out of it nearly as much if I sold it so I still use it regularly for wedding videos and even the odd promotional or trainning video, its so much fun to use. Even though the PC has the Video Toaster that is better its not worth the money to buy seeing as I have this system already.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline carls

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 02:26:54 AM »

ArchM wrote:
I am 26 now.  Now, I have HEARD of Amiga, however I had no idea what it/they actually were/are.  I always assumed that there were some kind of Atari type system.  I was always into video games, but I only ever had access to what I saw on the TV, which was pretty much the standard consoles.  I had NO IDEA there was so much to offer from these machines.

Well, I'm probably going to get bashed for saying this, but the Amiga and Atari are pretty much alike on many aspects. One of the key differences though, is the operating system. Atari's TOS simply cannot compare to AmigaOS.

Amiga was always one step ahead of Atari regarding sound and graphics performance until Atari released the Falcon 030, but that didn't matter much since they went bankrupt shortly after that.

Funny that you've never had more contact with Amigas though, we're the same age and Amigas were all the rage when I was a kid. People wanted them instead of consoles because the games were "free"  :roll:

Online amigakit

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 02:43:20 AM »
Tony,

Looking at your pics of your Amiga project, you could do with an Amiga engraved tower plate to finish it off ;-)

@ArchM

Welcome to Amiga.org!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Hyperspeed

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 04:27:15 AM »
What would be cool (and the dimensions would be just right) is the complete embossed Amiga logo with the H.DISK, F.DISK & POWER LEDs for fitting into a 5.25" bay!

I've always longed for a drive bay cover with a SCSI-ID selector, clock and CPU temperature stats like those on PC too...

Make it so AmigaKit! Engage!

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
For some reason, possibly geographically, all anybody my age was interested was Nintendo or Sega.  That was about it, and since I didn't get a computer until I was around 13-14ish, I missed out on a lot of integral steps.

When I look at Atari, and I look at their games, it doesn't even seem to be in the same league.  The styles even seem different.  I mean, I have never heard of a point and click adventure game on an Atari, or even a good old fashioned dungeon crawl RPG.  Maybe, like this whole Amiga scene I seem to have stumbled into, they are out there - I just haven't found out about them yet.  

Offline Hyperspeed

« Reply #28 from previous page: August 01, 2006, 12:15:45 AM »
Pretending we are alone in the cosmos is a dangerous thing... there are hidden civilisations of Atari Jaguar coders, Acorn and Atari groups, C=64 web servers etc.

Other interesting cults would be those programming Amiga emulators for Sony PSP, Dreamcast and GameCube!

I consider myself lucky I had a ZX Spectrum 128k +2 as well as a Sega Master System. The quantity of games and their variety was probably a key to me seeking out more from a home machine.

I spent as much time meddling with Workbench as I did playing Sonic!