Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can an Amiga book be so valuable ?  (Read 2689 times)

Description:

Offline lopos

• Show only replies by lopos
Re: Can an Amiga book be so valuable ?
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 11:43:17 PM »
Do you mean I am poor Amiga git? :-?

Offline sprocket

• Show only replies by sprocket
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 11:54:37 PM »
Geeeeez folks,

I never thought so much would come of my little auction...

I initially had trouble posting my ad to the ebay forum because of my firewall settings.  If this resulted in multiple postings, I apologize.

For the record....

I am an individual amigan, not an Amiga retailer.
The auction page shows me in Baltimore.
The webworldinc page is ancient and they have not responded to queries for these in years.  You will not find this book in any retailer's stock.

The price that page lists is what the book originally retailed for in the U.S.  ...and yes, used copies routinely sell for more than this.

Ralph has been approached about doing a PDF version for inclusion in compilations and new Amiga software products but he is too busy to do a revision and he is on to other things.

...if you get the chance to look at one of these you will find it an IMMENSE source of technical information on compilers and coding specifically for the Amiga.

While there is now one bid for $80 and several "watchers" and the hit counter is now at 293 I expect this item to sell for quite a bit more than it's current price.

I put it up first in hopes it would attract attention to other Amiga hardware items I'll be listing in the next few days.

Thanks for your interest.
Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...

Offline sprocket

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 12:10:07 AM »
...and by the way.  The user's group I was part of is one of the oldest in the U.S.

NCAUG

It is a shadow of its former self with a hand full of members coming to meetings.

Of these those that are hard core programmers have a copy of this book.  Those that aren't couldn't use it....it's just too technical.

Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 03:44:30 AM »
I also thought it was odd that the person who put this book onto E-bay had his thread stoped. The buyers interested would have had a a clearer line of communication and the answers from the seller would be seen by all within our community....

Oooh.. here we go.. Another conspiracy theory..  I guess I'm  just a horrible person for enforcing the posted rules. *shock*  :)

If the item's owner would have noticed that his book was already being discussed, he wouldn't have opened a duplicate topic.  As it stands, the owner was more than welcomed to join the appropriate thread (this one) to answer any and all questions which he has, and is.

Duplicate threads are closed.  That's the rule, and this topic existed first.  I agree with whomever said "you put things on ebay to make money.  I truly hope he gets his price because that's the whole point.

Wayne

Offline sprocket

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 03:51:12 AM »
My buddy seems just a little defensive based on some of the heat in this thread.

As for me, I apologize for not noticing this thread first and posting the ad.

Fact was that I had posted the listing on ebay so recently it hadn't occurred to me that anyone would be discussing it here.

Frankly, I've found this quite amazing.
Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 03:54:53 AM »
Hey Wayne,

Sorry, reading back over my "PS" I realize I was being a bit snippy.  I was going from the point that this thread was leaning towards the negative side of his auction while he was trying to put out a FYI...

Again, my apologies and thanks for all you are doing to keep this site running smooth...

J. Golden
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 04:39:51 AM »

lopos wrote:
One must be very stupid to pay $80 for a book.

Technical books like this are worth their weight in gold to serious programmers.
 Yes, there are pdf and text file versions of both the Guru book and all the RKRMs (also on the Dev CD) available on the net,but nothing beats a proper printed version to refer to.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 07:24:47 AM »
I'll be picking this book up, noone will outbid me.

:-D

Offline sprocket

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2005, 10:13:58 AM »
Yes, there are pdf and text file versions of both the Guru book and all the RKRMs (also on the Dev CD) available on the net,but nothing beats a proper printed version to refer to.

I do not believe the Guru book has been included in any online or digital compilation.  I have the 1.2 and 2.1 dev CD.

The Guru book was self published by Ralph Babel in limited number.  It was not any sort of official Commodore release.

I had been in touch with Ralph a few times over the past couple years about the potential of converting this to PDF.

I think he was contacted by a noteable software developer who has included lots of nostalgic material on the CD of their product too.  His response has been that he just didn't have the time to do any sort of conversion or revision of the material.

The original version of the hard copy of this book is 736 pages long with several code snippets tables, etc.

Doing a proper conversion to a digital format would be a daunting task.  At this point Ralph still maintains full copyright on his work.

Finding a used printed version is the only option I'm aware of for having this information at this time that I'm aware of.
Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2005, 11:56:51 AM »
I would not mind paying some for a good book. Since I would like to take up programming the amiga (just for fun ofcourse) and know nothing about it's internals a good book is essential.

I got myself a few books in the meantime (for free)
The Amiga Rom Kernel reference manual (libraries & devices) which I think is for the 1.3 kernel.
And a book called 'the grand amiga c-book' (in dutch) for a c compiler no one has probably ever heard of. And last but not least 'Amiga intern' which is in german (and I can't read german so good).

But if anyone has got the latest versions of developers books and live near me drop me a line.

Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline sprocket

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 03:50:29 PM »
The RKMs are essential, the developer's CDs are good choices because they have all that stuff.

Some good Amiga programming books are out there, some good C books.

If you aren't a Super geek programmer type the Guru book is probably a bit beyond you but because it is sooooo rare it might be worth picking up when you find one for sale to save for the day when you might be able to make sense of it.

Just trying to be clear on this thing....it's pretty deep stuff, compiler weirdness, optimizing things at a low level.
If you aren't pretty good at the basics first this isn't going to do much for you until you are.
Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...

Offline avanham

• Show only replies by avanham
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 04:06:15 PM »
When you consider how expensive any good computer book worth these days (35 - 75 US$)  it isn't really all that out of line.  Books are everything in computer programming.  If you don't know how the OS works internally, you can't possibly write software.

Offline Vicotnik

• Show only replies by Vicotnik
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 05:44:52 PM »
I noticed a thread somewhere about this book being able to find online.

cheers

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2005, 08:13:41 PM »

sprocket wrote:

I do not believe the Guru book has been included in any online or digital compilation.  I have the 1.2 and 2.1 dev CD.

The Guru book was self published by Ralph Babel in limited number.  It was not any sort of official Commodore release.

Sorry, it was late when I posted that.
What I meant was that Ralphs Guru book is on the net in the form of a badly scanned and OCR'd conversion, done without his permission...the same goes for the RKRMs too.
I didn't mean to imply that it was included on/with any official developer information, just that the RKRMs are also on the Dev CD.
On schedule, and suing

Offline sprocket

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2005, 03:29:56 PM »
What I meant was that Ralphs Guru book is on the net in the form of a badly scanned and OCR'd conversion, done without his permission

Considering the length of the book, how dense this material is and the precision necessary for programming snippets I would think this sort of "documentation" would make the material pretty near impossible to get through.

After browsing for roughly 4 years looking for this book I hadn't found this and was glad to finally get hold of the real thing.  Only after I did could I find that it was a bit more than I needed for my occassional programming.  A real Guru deserves to own a copy.

(sniff) sadly admitting I am not in that catagory.
Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...

Offline sprocket

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 11, 2005, 02:03:18 PM »
For those interested...

Auction ends tomorrow
at 1:36 Pacific time.
2:36 Mountain time
3:36 Central time
4:36 Eastern time

I'll be adding a few hardware items to my listings today and tomorrow.

My ebay listings

thanks for your interest...
Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...