Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: New (?) Mini mac pics  (Read 5471 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline the_leander

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2005, 06:18:22 AM »
Quote

Rbby wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't this forum, just by it's name, all about the Amiga ? We should all be intereted in what's going on in the Amiga community instead of what's going on with the Mac or Microcrap. I may be in the minority here but I could care less about those other OS's. Being an Amiga owner since the day when I first saw and purchased an Amiga 1000, for me the other systems could never even come close to the multitasking environment of my trusty Amiga.


This is an Amiga community forum, however, given Eyetech's release of the microA1, this new mac could seriously negatively effect sales of hardware to people not interested in the AmigaOS, specifically NetBSD and Linux PPC fans. That fact alone merrits discussion.

As for other OS's comming close to the Amigas multi tasking, I know it'll annoy a lot of people, but BeOS/Zeta does it better. :-P

As with many things, if Amiga are to re enter into the mass market they are going to have to offer the things people have come to expect, if it is to go into a niche as I suspect it will, then it has to be on at least an equal footing with the competition, with the arrival of the mini mac, the microA1 looks decidedly underpowered and overpriced... It's all well and good to say, lets ignore MS or Apple, but the fact is that simply ignoring the market will eventually land you in a possision where companies in our little community will say goodbye and go on to greener pastures. Not unlike today in that regard.

I've loved Amiga, I learned to push the hardware and software well beyond their supposed limitations, but if I had the cash to buy a microA1 now that the new mac is out, I would be hard pushed to justify the additional cost for the Amiga. Computers ultamately are tools, right now Amiga cannot offer me a good enough incentive to buy (back) into the market, especially with the software that comes bundled in with the mini mac no matter how slick the multitasking is in the OS. I suspect the public at large would make a similar decision based on the above train of thought.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]
 

Offline Dan

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2005, 01:19:59 PM »
Quote

Ilwrath wrote:
Quote
I've seen some internal shots; it's a regular DDR DIMM, crammed in on the left? side. Standard height, Apple likes to use cheap commodity parts where the user can't tell the difference.


Good point  I stand corrected.

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. :lol:

So it's back to an insane price, but a slightly more sane design.  :-)

Then people will just buy the 256MB version and then buy a 1GB stick from pc-store.Remove the 256MB mem and put it in a free slot in a desktop and the 1GB in the MacMini.

First mac-user lesson don´t buy it from apple unless you have to! :-D
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2005, 01:38:33 PM »
Quote

Dan wrote:
Quote

Ilwrath wrote:
Quote
I've seen some internal shots; it's a regular DDR DIMM, crammed in on the left? side. Standard height, Apple likes to use cheap commodity parts where the user can't tell the difference.


Good point  I stand corrected.

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. :lol:

So it's back to an insane price, but a slightly more sane design.  :-)

Then people will just buy the 256MB version and then buy a 1GB stick from pc-store.Remove the 256MB mem and put it in a free slot in a desktop and the 1GB in the MacMini.

First mac-user lesson don´t buy it from apple unless you have to! :-D


Don't say that!!! Then no one would buy a Mac!!!

Offline Dan

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »
Quote

bloodline wrote:
Quote

Dan wrote:
First mac-user lesson don´t buy it from apple unless you have to! :-D


Don't say that!!! Then no one would buy a Mac!!!

Many people want Mac just not an Apple Mac, that´s why Jobs killed the clones. Mac gained marketshare like crazy back then but Apple lost.
Apple would have been in a much better position without Jobs.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2005, 04:03:47 PM »
Quote

Dan wrote:
Quote

bloodline wrote:
Quote

Dan wrote:
First mac-user lesson don´t buy it from apple unless you have to! :-D


Don't say that!!! Then no one would buy a Mac!!!

Many people want Mac just not an Apple Mac, that´s why Jobs killed the clones. Mac gained marketshare like crazy back then but Apple lost.
Apple would have been in a much better position without Jobs.


I have to disagree... Apple would be gone if it were not for Jobs. The Mac Cone makers probably would have developed cheaper/better compatible PPC hardware and BeOS would have ruled a very active PPC market.

The PPC market would have turned into another PC market, then M$ would have brought out Window98 PPC... and that would be the end of the story :-D

Offline Hammer

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2005, 05:53:34 AM »
Quote

the_leander wrote:

As with many things, if Amiga are to re enter into the mass market they are going to have to offer the things people have come to expect, if it is to go into a niche as I suspect it will, then it has to be on at least an equal footing with the competition, with the arrival of the mini mac, the microA1 looks decidedly underpowered and overpriced...  

Well, Apple's Mac-Mini is manufactured by Foxconn (refer to Leadtek and Winfast brands)....    
AmigaForever 2016 with AmigaOS 4.1 FE, AMIDuOS\'s Android 5.01, MS Windows 10 Pro X64
Samsung ATIV Book 8 880Z5E laptop with touch screen.
CPU: Intel Core i7-3635QM, 2.4Ghz base, 3.4Ghz turbo.
RAM: 16 GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8870M (OC) 2GB GDDR5 VRAM.
SSD: 512 GB Samsung 840
 

Offline Hammer

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2005, 06:00:31 AM »
Quote

bloodline wrote:
Quote

Dan wrote:
Quote

bloodline wrote:
Quote

Dan wrote:
First mac-user lesson don´t buy it from apple unless you have to! :-D


Don't say that!!! Then no one would buy a Mac!!!

Many people want Mac just not an Apple Mac, that´s why Jobs killed the clones. Mac gained marketshare like crazy back then but Apple lost.
Apple would have been in a much better position without Jobs.


I have to disagree... Apple would be gone if it were not for Jobs. The Mac Cone makers probably would have developed cheaper/better compatible PPC hardware and BeOS would have ruled a very active PPC market.

The PPC market would have turned into another PC market, then M$ would have brought out Window98 PPC... and that would be the end of the story :-D

Aside from Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and Windows CE 2.X PowerPC edition, SoftWindows 95 would be closest to the real Microsoft Windows 95 PowerPC Edition since this product was licensed from Microsoft’s Windows 95 sourced code.
AmigaForever 2016 with AmigaOS 4.1 FE, AMIDuOS\'s Android 5.01, MS Windows 10 Pro X64
Samsung ATIV Book 8 880Z5E laptop with touch screen.
CPU: Intel Core i7-3635QM, 2.4Ghz base, 3.4Ghz turbo.
RAM: 16 GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8870M (OC) 2GB GDDR5 VRAM.
SSD: 512 GB Samsung 840
 

Offline Waccoon

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2005, 06:48:52 AM »
Quote
I have to disagree... Apple would be gone if it were not for Jobs. The Mac Cone makers probably would have developed cheaper/better compatible PPC hardware and BeOS would have ruled a very active PPC market.

I agree.  Apple did this because they didn't know what else to do to stop hemhorraging money.  If not for Jobs, Apple would likely have gone into bankruptcy.  Not like that makes me like or respect him any more, mind you.  ;-)

Today, Apple's business plan is the opposite of Microsoft.  They make little money on software (at least OSX), and make it all on hardware.  Bear in mind more and more PC magazines are recommending Apple displays for use on PCs.

This also happened before the release of OSX, or even the GUI freshening of OS8.  Be was making many plans to appeal to Mac users, and would probably have walked all over Apple in the long run (if they had acquired any sense of interface design, that is).

Would clones have helped the Mac market?  Well, Apple customers weren't used to that marketting model, and they didn't like it very much.  Apple could've lost a LOT of loyal customers who thought the Mac was just going to turn into another loosely-standardized PC.  The same would have happened if Apple had gone x86.  That would surely have killed them, even if it would have improved the overall quality of the hardware, as the clones certainly did.

Quote
Well, Apple's Mac-Mini is manufactured by Foxconn

I'm not sure why you're pointing this out as a response to the_leander (no offense).  It is noteworthy that most major companies outsource their work.  No sense making it yourself when you can get a company that has a HUGE amount of experience to do all the low-level stuff for you.  A part of me is glad that the original AmigaOne is just a Teron reference board.  Who knows what it would've been if Amiga had tried to actually design and manufacture it themselves?
 

Offline Hammer

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2005, 11:18:06 AM »
Quote
Bear in mind more and more PC magazines are recommending Apple displays for use on PCs.

Keep in mind that Apple doesn’t build their TFT displays e.g. Apple's Studio Display LM151X3 (B3AP) is powered by 'LG.Philips' LCD alliance.
AmigaForever 2016 with AmigaOS 4.1 FE, AMIDuOS\'s Android 5.01, MS Windows 10 Pro X64
Samsung ATIV Book 8 880Z5E laptop with touch screen.
CPU: Intel Core i7-3635QM, 2.4Ghz base, 3.4Ghz turbo.
RAM: 16 GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8870M (OC) 2GB GDDR5 VRAM.
SSD: 512 GB Samsung 840
 

Offline HopperJF

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2005, 01:13:46 PM »
Quote

Hammer wrote:
Quote
Bear in mind more and more PC magazines are recommending Apple displays for use on PCs.

Keep in mind that Apple doesn’t build their TFT displays e.g. Apple's Studio Display LM151X3 (B3AP) is powered by 'LG.Philips' LCD alliance.


Apple will still get revenue coming in from this.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.
 

Offline Seehund

Re: New (?) Mini mac pics
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »
Quote

Wayne wrote:

looks like EVERYONE was right about the price.  If Hyperion or the MorphOS guys want to survive, they'd better get on board..


Too damn right, not that it's revolutionary news that Macs are cheaper and better than what's sold as "AmigaOnes".

I'll just refer to my signature this time. :)

As for MorphOS, if it's true that >=1.5 isn't owned by the company selling Pegasoses, then I think my suggestion could apply to MOS as well. Get on board.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......
 

Offline 1337DOG

Re: New (?) Mini mac pics
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2005, 02:50:45 AM »
Right this minute I'm downloading some indie music on LimeWire through cable internet, playing 160kbps MP3s with software equalize and sound enhancement turned all the way up through a high end home system, burning a VideoCD through Toast, and surfing the net with dual displays (extended desktop) all at the same time. Not uncommon maybe but I'm on a 4 your old 400Mhz PowerBook with 8mb video card, OS X 10.3 (Panther) with all of 384Mb RAM with all eye candy turned on. Reminds me of the good ol days on my A500.

/ A happy camper. :-)

How to crack a Mini: Video on this site (Click)

Mini undergoing exploratory surgery Here
 

Offline blakespot

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2005, 05:53:22 AM »
I just wanted to add a few pics of my mini to the thread:

http://homepage.mac.com/blakespot/PhotoAlbum25.html

I've got the machine in use, KVM'ed to my Dell CRT, at the office.  1GB RAM on the way.



blakespot
:: http://www.bytecellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: http://toucharcade.com - iPhone Gaming News and Reviews
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000, 1200 \'060, SAM440ep-Flex 733
 

Offline the_leander

Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2005, 08:39:55 AM »
Wow, I mean I knew that the mac mini was small, you could tell that by the pictures, but by the looks its about the same size as early diskmans!

With luck the missus will be getting hers before too long, though hers will only have 512Mb of ram and the smaller cpu/hd setup. (Ok, I admit it, I'm cheep).

Damned impressive stuff is that!
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]