Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Prebiotic chemistry and origins of life (continued)...  (Read 3592 times)

Description:

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Prebiotic chemistry and origins of life (continued)...
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 04:37:28 PM »

bloodline wrote:

I also don't see why life didn't "hitch a ride" on a Crystaline scafholding before the complex RNA/DNA structures developed.

For one, there are no vestigial remmenants of this. Whilst it is true that many complex clays can interact with biological systems and in some cases are used, it seems to be the case that biology has found a use for the clays *since* reaching it's present level of complexity and not during its origin.
int p; // A

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 05:08:19 PM »
@ Karlos
>> there has been no significant (bio)chemical evolution for a very, very long time.

Hum,
It seems to me that to have evolution in chemistry, then the carbon-based life forms have to have variation.
However, since there are only a set amount to amino acids then that narrows down diversification.
(The `best` are always used and survive)

I believe that the modern approach to evolution, envisages a contoured `landscape` that dictate the paths of evolution. The landscape being formed by random values such as the type of star we orbit, the gravity and composition of the earth, temperature and chemistry, etc…

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 07:43:32 PM »

blobrana wrote:
@ Karlos
>> there has been no significant (bio)chemical evolution for a very, very long time.

Hum,
It seems to me that to have evolution in chemistry, then the carbon-based life forms have to have variation.
However, since there are only a set amount to amino acids then that narrows down diversification.
(The `best` are always used and survive)

I believe that the modern approach to evolution, envisages a contoured `landscape` that dictate the paths of evolution. The landscape being formed by random values such as the type of star we orbit, the gravity and composition of the earth, temperature and chemistry, etc…

Exactly my point... Physics is still the same as it always was.

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 08:09:38 PM »
@Blob & bloodline

None of these arguments explain how the existing biochemistry came to be and especially in the timescale. This is the thing I don't think people realise. You to have evolved the near-present level of biochemical level of sophistication required to support the most primitive iron-sulphur bacteria *within* 200 million years of the conditions being suitable enough to allow the chemical agents required to exist. This implies that whatever "chemical evolution" occured in pre-biotic times must have been super accelerated, even if you allow for clays etc playing an active role in the initial stages of self replication.

If we simulate as best we can the environment the evidence suggests prevailed at this time we can observe the formation of guanine like heterocycles, primitive amino acids (and even oligiopeptides) and various other life related chemicals. Which is great, but these are the most elemental building blocks. We do not observe anything like Lee's peptide for example. Even if we did, the step up from that to RNA is as great as the formation of Lees in the first place, not to mention any symbiosis between the two.

If you perform any meaningful calculation on the likleyhood of these events, even making generous concessions to the probability of intermediate stages encompassing the change of function you end up with rediculous odds.

Kenny may well be right that the universe tilts odds into the favour of life via some as of yet unknown means because left to chance alone it is as good as impossible.
int p; // A

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 09:23:21 PM »

Karlos wrote:
For fluffy :-)

In my opinion, there is so much more to discover - sticking to creationalism or darwinism are not going to get us far.

This is far too much to try to address while I'm supposed to be working ...

But why are you hung up on creationism and darwinism.
Darwinism is only really concerned with what happens after you have a living cell, creationism is only really interested in building an unquestioning army for "god".

And the principle of amplification and filtering which is the underlying mechanism behind darwinism is self evident and trivially demonstrable to the point that it's very silly to question it.

Applicability to non reproducing things? Nill. They lack the amplification. IFF it reproduces with variability it will be subject to evolution. That does not mean that it will change over time just as the tone from an oscillator will not (hopefully) change over time unless the filter is adjusted. In a constant environment, evolutionary forces work to conserve rather than diversify.

A good chemistry is not likely to change unless it can change radically all at once to produce a better system and the chances of that are vanishingly small.

As to there being no evidence of any other biotic chemistry in the past, we don't have much evidence of much in the past and the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Yes, there are many questions but that does not mean that answers cannot be found. Mathematics has run into many roadblocks over time but we didn't throw it out at the first sign of trouble.

Evolution is a principle, a frame-work more than an answer per-se. It does not give specific answers to any question but it does show a path. Why are there ducks? Evolution doesn't specifically answer that question but it gives us a framework in which to examine the question.

As to how it all started, that is a different question. Of course it is. So what? It certainly isn't answerable by calculating permutations as that sort of thing is devoid of context. What are the odds or 100 spinning magnets in a row all lining up end to end north to south and vice versa? Mathematically speaking you're not likely to see it in your lifetime. The fact that this outcome tends to happen a lot should tell you that there is something missing from your mathematics but it shouldn't make you assume that there is an invisible guy nearby lining up all your magnets because that is a more "intelligent" configuration.

Yes, it means that we do not know everything about the universe, but it doesn't mean that we should just chuck out the basic principles which have helped us know what we do know of the universe.

Like I keep saying, just because we cannot apply darwinism to prebiotic chemistry does not mean that we have to throw it out all together. This is the creationists arguement, and you are not one, and therefore you should not be making an arguement which can so easily be mistaken by creationists as support for their position and then used by them, however erronously, to tear down your own position.

The fact that biology is complex does not argue against evolution, nor does it support ID. Period. (translation to English - Full Stop). Most of what the IDers bring up doesn't support ID either. Listening to them as a source of questions is a waste of time since they do not ask them honestly. They ask them with a specific agenda and that is to open the door to the "Creator" and make "Him" necessary. You can think of better questions yourself.

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 09:46:15 PM »

FluffyMcDeath wrote:

Like I keep saying, just because we cannot apply darwinism to prebiotic chemistry does not mean that we have to throw it out all together.

And nowhere do I say we should. It's a matter of appropriate method. One does not use quantum mechanics to help explain everyday physics. We know that classical physics is essentially an approximation for h=0 and that works fine for us. Likewise we don't use classical physics to explain the microscopic world since it falls on its bum.

It's just that people do apply the existing evolution model to the problem at hand, glossing over the inadequacies and questioning the motive of anybody who disagrees, which is as dogmatic as any old school 'creationalist' and I believe is putting off people from seriously looking into it.

This is the creationists arguement, and you are not one, and therefore you should not be making an arguement which can so easily be mistaken by creationists as support for their position and then used by them, however erronously, to tear down your own position.

I'm just calling it as I see it. I do try to keep an open mind; I mean, if it were proven beyond reasonable doubt that there is some ID going on I like to think I'd be able to accept it.

They ask them with a specific agenda and that is to open the door to the "Creator" and make "Him" necessary. You can think of better questions yourself.

Well, that's just it. The people questioning it originally didn't have any such agenda. It has been taken up by those that do since, but it is now the case you cannot raise the qestion without being so accused.

Of course the other thing is, even if the questions are asked with an agenda behind them it doesn't make the (properly considered) answers any less important. After all there is no guarentee which 'side' the answer will support anyway.
int p; // A

Offline FluffyMcDeath

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 11:01:35 PM »

Karlos wrote:

It's just that people do apply the existing evolution model to the problem at hand, glossing over the inadequacies and questioning the motive of anybody who disagrees[...]

But what model is that? Evolution happened, evolution is happening, it can be seen to be happening, so anyone who says they have some information that brings evolution into doubt should be viewed with as much suspicion as the guy who finds a helium baloon and says it disproves gravity.

I'm just calling it as I see it. I do try to keep an open mind; I mean, if it were proven beyond reasonable doubt that there is some ID going on I like to think I'd be able to accept it.

And if someone can prove fairies beyond a reasonable doubt I think I'd be able to accept it. There's a difference between an open mind and gullibility.

They ask them with a specific agenda and that is to open the door to the "Creator" and make "Him" necessary. You can think of better questions yourself.

Well, that's just it. The people questioning it originally didn't have any such agenda.

The people who question how it may all have started have an agenda to figure out how it all started. The first person to claim ID had a different agenda and claims deceptively not to have such an agenda. It is a ruse.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 11:23:10 PM »
Hum,
I don’t think that Darwinism is really applicable to the pre biotic stages of life.
It probably is another mechanism that stacks up the odds for having more and more complexity to chains of amino acids leading up to something like RNA.

What ever that mechanism is we know that it was probably quite a rapid process due to the signs of life, which shows up relatively soon after the molten earth had cooled down.

Offline bjjones37

• Show only replies by bjjones37
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »

FluffyMcDeath wrote:

As to there being no evidence of any other biotic chemistry in the past, we don't have much evidence of much in the past and the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
Yes, there are many questions but that does not mean that answers cannot be found. Mathematics has run into many roadblocks over time but we didn't throw it out at the first sign of trouble.

Another very interesting statement. :-)
Any obstacle can be an opportunity, try a different perspective.

Offline FluffyMcDeath

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 12:55:15 AM »

bjjones37 wrote:

FluffyMcDeath wrote:

Another very interesting statement. :-)

And there might be fairies too. I think you're running a bit far with this. That's a straw you are grasping at and your faint hope is showing.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2004, 01:21:26 AM »
@Blob
I think there are multiple stages in wich you can apply Darwinism on

@fluffy, at least he's happy with it, and he isn't bothering others with it :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2004, 01:38:18 AM »

FluffyMcDeath wrote:

Karlos wrote:

It's just that people do apply the existing evolution model to the problem at hand, glossing over the inadequacies and questioning the motive of anybody who disagrees[...]

But what model is that? Evolution happened, evolution is happening, it can be seen to be happening, so anyone who says they have some information that brings evolution into doubt should be viewed with as much suspicion as the guy who finds a helium baloon and says it disproves gravity.

Yes, biological evolution that is, and I agree. However, as you said yourself earlier, it has no applicability to non-living systems.

As for the gullability remark, I hope that wasn't directed at me :-)
int p; // A

Offline bjjones37

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2004, 03:34:06 PM »
I hope no one minds my entering into this little debate.  My first two years in college were as a Chemistry major. I had two years of Chemistry, two years of Calculus, and a year of Engineering classes.  Just so you will understand why I am fascinated with what Karlos has to say.  I must say I am inclined to agree with him, perhaps because he does debate from the standpoint of math and chemistry. I have followed the debate raptly.  It only falls down for me when it devolves into some kind of theological discussion.  My stance is that God can neither be proved nor disproved with science.  He did that deliberately.  I view science as a description of what God did.  So the facts are of value to me no matter what viewpoint you present them from.  If the purpose of the debate is to disprove the existence of God, then I will step out of it right now, it is a waste of my time.  But if the purpose is to explore nature for a pure love of science and research, I would love to be involved and learn. There are some very educated people here who have much of value to say.  

I would like to ask some questions and I would even promise not to debate the response, just perhaps clarify my position or ask for clarification.

Respectfully,
BJ

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2004, 03:48:04 PM »
@Bjjones

It is really a conundrum as far as I am concerned. The speed with which life "as we know it" took hold is staggering when one views it from the prebiotic position.

I wouldn't hope for an answer to the problem any time soon, however. Presently were are on the uphill curve - the more we find out about it, the more questions we end up with.

Still, I sure as anything hope I live to see the answer - it's driven me nuts for the best part of 11 years :-)
int p; // A

Offline bjjones37

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2004, 04:00:19 PM »
@Karlos

Sometimes, from a scientific point of view, asking the right questions can be just as important as having the right answers.  The question gives the answer context and makes it meaningful.  So finding all of those questions can be a good thing. :-)

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 16, 2004, 04:01:26 PM »
Quite; it's just that I am not entirely patient :-D
int p; // A