Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Silly Newbie (sort of) questions  (Read 890 times)

Description:

Offline c0untzer0Topic starter

• Show only replies by c0untzer0
Silly Newbie (sort of) questions
« on: March 09, 2004, 09:47:35 PM »
Hey all,

Question for you.  I recently dug out my Amiga 2000 and wanted to play around with it again.  Is it possible to get it on the internet using my a broadband internet connection?

I'm sure it is, but seeings as the last time I played with it I was using a dial up modem to connect to my Penn State account I'm sure that I can probably get a decent ethernet card for it and hook it into my Router.

Any ideas as to where I should get starteD?  Hardware/software needed?

Thanks,
c0untzer0
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I\\\'m not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Silly Newbie (sort of) questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 09:59:49 PM »
Well, what spec Amiga 2000 are we talking here?  Does it have some extras, or is it pretty much stock?  What amount of RAM?

You're right, in that you probably will want an ethernet card.  The only two solutions still in production are the X-Surf II, and the Algor/Norway (this solution costs more and is actually two boards, but also gives some USB support).  Both are available in the US through Anachronism Industries or Software Hut (and perhaps others).   To come in a bit cheaper, you might check eBay auctions for used network cards, as well.

Of course, you'll also need a TCP/IP stack or a newer version of AmigaDOS.  AmigaDOS prior to version 3.5 didn't have TCP/IP built-in...  And these expansions may open a pandora's box of other expansions you'll need, such as additional memory, an accelerator card, video card, etc...

What all are you hoping to do?

Offline aardvark

• Show only replies by aardvark
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 03:23:20 AM »
Haunt ebay for an Amiga ethernet card. There's lots of them that don't have an RJ-45 connector that go relatively cheaply.  Find one that has an AUI port and get a cheap AUI to RJ-45 adapter.  All these cards work fine with broadband, but it might be simpler if you use a router as well so the IP address doesn't change so often as the IP numbers are usually dynamically reassigned if hooked up directly to your broadband every time you turn off your machine.  I would reccomend using OS 3.9 which means you'll need at least a 68020 card in your A2000. Good luck. :hat:

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 03:24:00 PM »
"What am I tryign to do"

GOod question.

Actually, I wanted to hook the machine up so I could pull things down via FTP from my Linux server, or directly from FTP sites that I found.

As for specs:  To be honest, I haven't fired it up yet, but from what I remember, I had updated the Kickstart chip as of around 1995 or so, as well as going to a newer version of AmigaDOS but as for the exact versions... can't quite remmber.  I think Kickstart 1.2 is sticking in my head.. but I"m not totally sure.

I know it's stock as far as Video and Ram go.. I never upgraded either of them... so 1MB of ram and standard video (to which I have no idea).  It also has a 286 bridgeboard on it, but at the time I was lacking hard drive space so I don't have much room on my HD for IBM stuff.  I do have about 4 500 MB SCSI drives I was planning on tossing into it (first project after getting it online), but after some reasearch, that might not be nearly as easy as I thought it was going to be.

I've been trying to hunt around for some basic hardware upgrade FAQ's just to get an idea of what kind of hardware I'd need to get it "current" or as current as it can be.  It's more of a pet project than anything else, because to be totally honest I work on PC's all day and they've lost all of the "techie" fun about them with Plug and Play and Windows... so somethign that will let me mod the crap out of a piece of hardware would be great.

SO.. after that rather long babbling.. if you have any other suggestions, please pass them along.

Oh, and I DO have an internal router that I can assign the machine a Static IP instead of trying to hook up DHCP on it (if that's even possible)

c0unt
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I\\\'m not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 03:55:48 PM »
I work on PC's all day and they've lost all of the "techie" fun about them with Plug and Play and Windows... so somethign that will let me mod the crap out of a piece of hardware would be great.

Ok, so I take it you're looking for a cheap and fun challenge?

As for specs: To be honest, I haven't fired it up yet, but from what I remember, I had updated the Kickstart chip as of around 1995 or so, as well as going to a newer version of AmigaDOS but as for the exact versions... can't quite remmber. I think Kickstart 1.2 is sticking in my head.. but I"m not totally sure.

I'm going to guess that's Kickstart 2.1?  (1.2 would have been the original kickstart, if you bought the machine in 1987/88, or so.)  

There's still quite a bit you can do with Kickstart 2.1... But it's a lot more of a challenge.  Lots of newer software requires Kickstart 3.1 ROMs, so you might want to consider picking up a set.  

But, there ARE TCP/IP stacks and FTP programs that'll run on 2.1  You'll just have to work a lot more to get them running.  If you're looking for a challenge, you'd have found it!  :)  I remember going through quite a few choice four letter words getting my AmigaDOS 2.1 A500 on line back in 1991.  (Configuring dial-up on AmiTCP is a learning experience!)  :)

so 1MB of ram and standard video (to which I have no idea)

Ouch!  You definitly need RAM.  A cheap thing to pick up on eBay might be a processor upgrade with local FastRAM.  A card with a 68030 @ 25mhz with 4 or 8MB FastRAM on it should only go for about $50, and give you a HUGE performance and function boost.

I do have about 4 500 MB SCSI drives I was planning on tossing into it (first project after getting it online)

Personally, I'd probably do this first.  It should be an easy task, and it'll make getting the machine on-line later easier, as you won't be trying to build boot floppies, etc.

Do you have a SCSI controller for them?  If not, again, I recommend eBay.  :)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 04:12:49 PM »
Ok, so I take it you're looking for a cheap and fun challenge?

You got it. MOre of a pet project.  Cheap usually ends up being expensive in the long run but that's okay.  As long as I get it back up and running and can get some fun out of it that's all I want.

I'm going to guess that's Kickstart 2.1?  (1.2 would have been the original kickstart, if you bought the machine in 1987/88, or so.)  

It's Kickstart 2.1 yes, and it has a software load of Kickstart 3.1.  Can you still get the 3.1 roms?  Ebay right?  =)

There's still quite a bit you can do with Kickstart 2.1... But it's a lot more of a challenge.  Lots of newer software requires Kickstart 3.1 ROMs, so you might want to consider picking up a set.  
But, there ARE TCP/IP stacks and FTP programs that'll run on 2.1  You'll just have to work a lot more to get them running.  If you're looking for a challenge, you'd have found it!  :)  I remember going through quite a few choice four letter words getting my AmigaDOS 2.1 A500 on line back in 1991.  (Configuring dial-up on AmiTCP is a learning experience!)  :)

I had dial-up running through SLIP on it a while back, so I'm sure that will all come back to me.  I was more interssted in getting the Ethernet card in it and running than fussing with Dial up, so if it needs an OS upgrade so be it.

Along those lines, I see you need a CD ROM for 3.9, I have a SCSI burner lying around doing nothing will this work?

Ouch!  You definitly need RAM.  A cheap thing to pick up on eBay might be a processor upgrade with local FastRAM.  A card with a 68030 @ 25mhz with 4 or 8MB FastRAM on it should only go for about $50, and give you a HUGE performance and function boost.

I'll look for one.  Are there better ones?  Is there a place I can get a rundown of what is available and what they do?

Personally, I'd probably do this first.  It should be an easy task, and it'll make getting the machine on-line later easier, as you won't be trying to build boot floppies, etc.

Do you have a SCSI controller for them?  If not, again, I recommend eBay.  :)

I have a HD in it currently, so I'm guessin it has a SCSI controller.  If I need an additional one, I have a bunch of ISA SCSI controllers lying around collecting dust.  Can I install one of these?

Thanks again for all the help,

c0unt
- Albert Einstein

Offline sdesros

• Show only replies by sdesros
    • http://www.501st.ca/
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 05:21:13 PM »
I'm going to guess that's Kickstart 2.1? (1.2 would have been the original kickstart, if you bought the machine in 1987/88, or so.)

It's Kickstart 2.1 yes, and it has a software load of Kickstart 3.1. Can you still get the 3.1 roms? Ebay right? =)

Ebay, umm... Software Hut might have them as well.  Make sure that they are ROMs for an A2000 (and A500 I think).  

It is also possible to softkick the rom into RAM.  Umm, however, that means you need to get the ROM file (legally you can get them from Cloanto as part of their Amiga Forever package along with the OS I think) but that involves you mucking about with your start up script, additional reboots, and its generally not all that pleasant. :P

Along those lines, I see you need a CD ROM for 3.9, I have a SCSI burner lying around doing nothing will this work?

It should work, but ironically, you'll need to have access to a CD Filesystem.  (There is one included with OS3.9 AFAIK).  You can use this: AmiCDFS on aminet to get you started.  

The annoying part is how do you transfer it to your amiga.  :(  There is a program called CrossDOS (included in 3.1) that would allow you to read DOS formatted 720k floppies.  If you have a terminal program on your amiga and a null-modem cable, you can at least do some of the work that way.  You might also be able to use
fat95 from AmiNet to read PC formatted floppies (but you still have to install it on your amiga. :P)

Ouch! You definitly need RAM. A cheap thing to pick up on eBay might be a processor upgrade with local FastRAM. A card with a 68030 @ 25mhz with 4 or 8MB FastRAM on it should only go for about $50, and give you a HUGE performance and function boost.

I'll look for one. Are there better ones? Is there a place I can get a rundown of what is available and what they do?

There are 040 and 060 cards out there but they'll be a tad expensive.  I beleive the card in question is the A2630, it's an official Commodore-made expansion.  I've used it in the past and it's pretty good. ;)  Here's some eBay search results.

I have a HD in it currently, so I'm guessin it has a SCSI controller. If I need an additional one, I have a bunch of ISA SCSI controllers lying around collecting dust. Can I install one of these?

Most controllers that came with the A2000 are SCSI controllers.  You won't be able to use the ISA controllers right away as you'd need a bridgeboard or something like the  GoldenGate2 or CrossLink.  Here's a list of cards that might be able to allow you to use ISA.

SCSI cards should be able to handle 7 devices (provided that  the chain is properly terminated and you don't use a overly large cable.)

Good luck!
Steph

Offline aardvark

• Show only replies by aardvark
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 06:43:08 PM »
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have about 4 500 MB SCSI drives I was planning on tossing into it (first project after getting it online)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'd probably do this first. It should be an easy task, and it'll make getting the machine on-line later easier, as you won't be trying to build boot floppies, etc.

I had an amiga scsi controller, that had no ram on it. I used it to install a 40 meg drive.  But the mere fact that there was now a hard drive controller in my 2000 meant that enough ram was soaked up so that many programs would not run that formerly would.  I changed over to a GVP scsi controller that also had 8 megs of ram on it.  Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :-D
Big difference between that and my current windows box that I'm thinking of upgrading to 1024 megs of memory so it will work half fast quickly. :-(
If you're going to buy an accelerator, the 68030s are dirt cheap, the 68040s tolerably expensive, and the 68060s rare and expensive at auction. Most (not all) have provision for extra ram and many also have scsi controllers on board as well.