Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C64 Datasette cable repair  (Read 333 times)

Description:

Offline whabangTopic starter

• Show only replies by whabang
C64 Datasette cable repair
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
Not as Amiga-related as things normally are here, but I'll give it a try anyway. :)

I have an old Datasette for a C64, and there seems to be a glitch in the power wire  in the cable. I can wiggle the cable a bit and get it to work, but I'd like to fix it properly.

I've been thinking about cutting the bad part of the cable off and solder the ends back together, but I'm not sure if the Datasette is too sensitive for this to work, as I would be damaging the insulation of the cable while doing it.

Anyone who's tried it?
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline dawiper

• Show only replies by dawiper
Re: C64 Datasette cable repair
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure it will work. The bitrate thru the datasette cable is low. It should not be that sensitive to noise. I would have no reservations trying this on my own c64. However I would probably just desolder the cable from the tapedeck and connector and replace it. Might be more weak spots in the old cable.
A1200+Apollo 030/40+32mb fast+powerflyer in custom tower

Offline JuMa

• Show only replies by JuMa
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:27:43 AM »
It will work. I have repaired SD2IEC cable with quick soldering job and it works. I don't think datasette is any different.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:02:07 AM »
IIRC (it's been 30 years, literally) when I opened my old Datasette the cable was attached internally via sliders (a la Atari joysticks) with the braided ground of the cable screwed to the metal frame.  In theory you should be able to easily replace the cable and connector from a dead donor unit, even IIDRC or you have to solder a little bit.

Offline whabangTopic starter

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Yeah, I also believe the data rate to be low enough that the interference won't be an issue. I don't have a donor unit at the moment, and since I live in the middle of nowhere I'd rather not go out looking for one either.

I'll give it a go.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.