Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 SCSI drive error just now...  (Read 1701 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Re: Amiga 1000 SCSI drive error just now...
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 11, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
So -- a guru during a write can cause a disk to be come unvalidated. And in order to fix it (well, with DiskSalv), you need a 2nd hard drive or partition of >= size on-hand?

Worst case - yes.

I know more recent AmigaDOS versions auto-revaldiate on boot.

All do, but there are problems the autovalidation fails to fix.

Quarterback Tools have worked pretty nicely for me - but there is some risk involved and precious data should be backed up (anyway).

In these days where HDDs <1 gig are considered tiny and can be had for (next to) nothing there's no real excuse for not backing up...

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
Quote from: blakespot;740568
aldiate on boot. But, in order to use and enjoy this Amiga 1000 with 1.3 and a HD, I necessarily need to have a 2nd volume on hand to handle these incidents? Is that the reality?

It is not. Newer Kickstart versions have Disk-Validator built-in but in older versions you must have Disk-Validator in L: of your boot disk. If it is missing you can't validate your disks.

To validate disk under Kickstart 1.3 or older it should be enough you boot from Workbench disk (where it has L:Disk-Validator) and let it validate your HD.

I think you just dont have that file on your HD and it cant autovalidate itself. If validation fails you should get an error request saying something "disk xyz could not be validated" or something like that.

EDIT Oh, sorry. Didnt notice your screenshot. You obviously have Disk-Validator and it tried to validate your HD but it failed due to inconsistent state of your filesystem. So you have to repair it using repair tools or reformat. It happens with Amigas (relatively) quite often. It is good idea have two partitions so you can copy files to another partition and format another.

In old good days I had 3 partitions and once FFS on HD0 broke and couldnt be validated. So I had to copy all files from HD0 to HD1... but HD1 also broke in the process so I had to copy files from HD1 to HD2... joys of Amiga ;-D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:18:16 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
There is also this article about disk validator viruses. I dont think it happened to you but is interesting reading if you want to know how Amiga works.

http://amigaviruses.wikidot.com/disk-validator-virus
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:25 PM »
Ok...

So I am going to add a 2nd HD to my Amiga 1000 so I can keep enjoying it for some time.

It's been a while since I was all over building MountLists for KS/WB 1.3. What I have in there now is a Quantum 40 MB SCSI drive. It's hard to find drives that small on eBay, vs ones a few hundred MBs in size. What is a good top limit for a drive I should go for? Are there any brands to avoid in the name of compatibility? I know you don't want the drive to be too recent. My controller is a Microbotics Starboard II side-module (w/ 2MB FAST + clock).

If I want to connect one of these SCSI drives to my Amiga 2000's and its Blizzard A2060 SCSI controller, do I need to reproduce a mountlist (OS 3.1 there), or can the OS figure it out?

Any advice appreciated - I want to grab a drive soon. Thanks. I found a nice enclosure already.

bp
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »
Have you considered adding a CF instead of a mechanical drive?  There's all sorts of ways, SCSI-to-IDE bridge, SCSI card reader, one of those homebrew CF adapters that mounts underneath the processor with the five zillion page long thread on Amibay, etc.

In my limited experience adding hard drives to Amigas, I never had to mess with a mountlist entry, I always just configured them through HDToolbox and away I go.  Not sure how you'd do this under 1.3, I assume your controller has some special software for prepping hard drives that works under 1.3?  You may want to read up on the documentation and limitations (if any) for your particular controller before making a decision.  Maximum partition size, etc.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
Don't get too jealous, but look at the sweet A1000 in the last picture in this thread.  ;)

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=46414&page=2
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline r.cade

• Show only replies by r.cade
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
That Amiga in the photo is from 16 years in the future.  So we must have discovered time travel by then and it's been exposed.