Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could use some tips  (Read 942 times)

Description:

Offline JagabotTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jagabot
    • http://www.amigadeals.com
Could use some tips
« on: November 05, 2003, 09:36:05 AM »
This might be a strange question(s), or for all I know some of it might be against the rules of the forum (if so sorry about that, delete this if it's required).

Let me preface this by saying I own around 60 Amigas, ~100 ROM chips of various flavours, dozens of OS packages, piles of Amiga software etc. I also own a purchased copy of Cloanto's Amiga emulator package on CD, and I have the most recent versions of everything including WinUAE.

Now, here are the questions :)

#1 What are the best ROM files to use with WinUAE? Where can I get them? As far as I am concerned I already own over a hundred ROMS, and I can't see why me having other software versions of those ROMS could be against any laws/rules -- now I'd like the very best sets for my emulator thank you very much.

#2 What configuration would you say is the most stable and functional to use?

#2b What hardware setup is thought to be the be the "best" for stablity?  I intend to use this on a P4 3.2GHz 1GB 800MHz RAM, GeForce 3Ti500 machine currently running XP Pro - should I change the video card or OS or anything? Any tips here (I don't care about the cost, I have a pile of PC hardware to try swapping around if there is some optimal setup to be had...). I'm mainly after a stable games playing environment all running on one box (it already runs MAME with ~3000 roms for example).

#3 Are there any good sources for ADFs other than back2roots.org?

Thanks for any tips or advice!   :-D

glen@go_graphical.com (remove the _ )
If I have military spec stuff listed on eBay, you can find it here  :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Could use some tips
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 09:47:09 AM »
#1 What are the best ROM files to use with WinUAE? Where can I get them? As far as I am concerned I already own over a hundred ROMS, and I can't see why me having other software versions of those ROMS could be against any laws/rules -- now I'd like the very best sets for my emulator thank you very much.

I have two ROM images handy: 1.3 and 3.1, to reflect my A500 and A1200.  I've not had any compatibility issues.
#2 What configuration would you say is the most stable and functional to use?

I think you'd be better off asking more specific questions as to configuration :-)  It depends on so many things, and I tweak configs for some games.

#2b What hardware setup is thought to be the be the "best" for stablity? I intend to use this on a P4 3.2GHz 1GB 800MHz RAM, GeForce 3Ti500 machine currently running XP Pro - should I change the video card or OS or anything? Any tips here (I don't care about the cost, I have a pile of PC hardware to try swapping around if there is some optimal setup to be had...). I'm mainly after a stable games playing environment all running on one box (it already runs MAME with ~3000 roms for example).

No, you only need a DirectX-capable card, nothing fancy.  Pretty much, only one thing really matters with Amiga emulation, CPU.  Lots of it, and good at both integer and FPU.
#3 Are there any good sources for ADFs other than back2roots.org?

Yes.  Google is your friend.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 10:00:09 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply mike.

So the 1.3 and 3.1 ROMs included with the Cloanto package are just as good as any other versions of those ROMs?

I realise google is my friend, how you think I have 3000+ MAME roms? ;)  Was just curious if there were a couple other great sources like back2roots was all.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 10:00:33 AM »
Hi Jagabot

For savin a Rom Image on disk, download BlizKick and use the "SaveROM" utility from the archive.

You need a real Amiga with its Rom Kikcstart and run from a shell:

SaveRom "Path:nameofthehickromfile"

Ciao

Offline Rassilon

• Show only replies by Rassilon
    • http://www.lewisbrunton.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 10:00:53 AM »
Hi Jagabot,

the best ROMS to use are the ones included on the Cloanto Amiga Forever CD.

Rassilon
Yes it is a dodgy picture, but what do you expect from a mobile phone camera!!

Oh yeah and I own an A1200T/060 with Mediator etc and an A1G3SE

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 01:20:27 PM »
Hoya!

EEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

SIXTY Amigas!!!??!!!

/me bows down respectfully

Be fumky

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 02:14:03 PM »
The Cloanto cd contains configurations for a plain A500 and A1200 Otherwise look for AIAB wich works fine.
For disk images/kickstart roms go to the Jambo! site
Especially the TOSEC site has many games including (very) rare ones. Unfortunately the site is in french (if you do not speak french). Besides, on the Cloanto CD must be a program called Amiga Explorer wich is an excellent tool for backing up your original games, using them with your emulator (Workbench 1.3 on any amiga required)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 06:30:02 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys. I eventually ended up ripping my own 3.1, 3.0, 2.05, 2.04, 1.3 ROMS because the ones included with the Cloanto distribution are "locked" (and I didn't want to spend too much time trying to find out how to get around that when it was just as easy to go rip them myself from some machines here). I suppose in hindsight had I installed the newer version of WinUAE in the same dir as Amiga Forever instead of a new one (specially for AIAB) it probably would have worked.

I now have everything set up with a nice modified AIAB configuration (actually 5 different configs) and the only thing I can't get to work is Voyager. Everything else, including sound, works perfectly.

Any clues on how the heck I can get Voyager working in WinUAE? I've even tried installing a fresh version (tried both the newest beta and the newest release versions) and both fail to complete the installation. They get 1/2 way through then sit there with the mouse Zzz'd out.

Any help with V would be appreciated!