Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 3000 now kaput  (Read 2524 times)

Description:

Offline chfriendTopic starter

• Show only replies by chfriend
Amiga 3000 now kaput
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »
This blows.  A few months ago my Amber circuit started acting up with nothing but flashing dark blue garbage, so I put my Indivision in it from the 2000 I have.  Now it won't boot at all.  I get the Indivision screen and then nothing, no Warpengine bong, etc...  I removed the X-Surf and Cybervision boards out and still no love here.  

Any suggestions?  I get sick to my stomach when I think of how much money I have wrapped up in this computer, especially since it's the one that has a good scanner connected to it and I'll be needing the scanner shortly!

For those that missed the last thread, here is the Amber video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39QbjjjYZcw

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
Re: Amiga 3000 now kaput
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
Do you have a monitor that will connect to the regular 23-pin video port?  Can you boot into a stock 3.1 WB?

Offline Plaz

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:29:26 AM »
Are you running a CPU card or the on board 030? I had 2 3000's, each eventually failed the local 030. I had to remove them and install a cpu card instead to bring them back to life. Another 3000 lost the local 882 co-processor. Once removed, the 3000 came back to life. As a quick fix, try resetting any socketed chips, memory included. Don't totally remove chips, too much risk of bending a pin putting it back. Just raise a smig and mash it back down.

Are the floppy drives clicking at start up? You might have lost one of the CIA chips. If I recall there is a diode near the serial and the CIA chips that can short. It's at the right side rear edge of the mother board, you'll have to remove the floppies and power supply to get to it. Clean the contacts on the daughter card. And using an old trick I came up with in the late 80's, LIGHTLY run one of those flexible finger nail files down the card slot and then blow out any debris

Well just a few ideas to get you started, good luck.

Plaz

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:48:37 AM »
It has a Warpengine 3040 in it.  It started working again earlier but now I've put it back together again it's not working.  Caps lock stops responding after 5-6 cycles.

When it doesn't work I get nothing except the Indivision screen.  No early boot menu, no floppy, nothing.  The monitor will also blip no signal for 1-2 seconds before it gets signal back when it's not going to work.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:57:26 AM »
Hmmm.  I think I may have found the issue.  Anyone know what circuit this capacitor is part of?  Unfortunately this part of the board has the green silkscreen flaked off from corrosion but from BBOAH on a Rev 8.9 board this is C190.  It's to the right of Paula.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:00:43 AM by chfriend »

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:44:22 AM »
Oh baby is this a sight for sore eyes!

I got Amber working.  I had to do some massive adjustments to the fine and course controls and I have a feeling that I will, unfortunately, be eventually pulling this apart again to replace the fine adjustment trimmer as that is what caused this whole issue to begin with.  The VC also had a cold solder joint on it as well.  I was not able to get Amber working at all until I fixed it.

Offline lost_loven

• Show only replies by lost_loven
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:31 AM »
I would love to replace my adjustment trimmer. The leg broke on mine (don't ask how) and had to remove it from the board and solder wires from the board to the trimmer it self cause the bottom of the trimmer where a leg was suppose to be was broken clean flush. That was a pain in the A$$ to re-attach!  Links anyone?

lost
A3000D 2 meg chip, 4 meg fast,128 meg zorram! 16 gig scsi2sd, 3.1 ROM, A3640, Indivision ECS, X-surf-100. Rapid Road usb, Amd scsi chip, Buster11. FTP service now with my Ethernet WD2TB Live Book, haha love it !
hp lappy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lost666loven?feature=mhum

Offline corpsicle

• Show only replies by corpsicle
    • http://www.gasm.info
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 06:35:40 AM »
The photo isnt exactly perfectly sharp but holy **** that looks like its been more or less destroyed by corrosion ?
Maybe it doesnt look that bad in real life ?

Offline Templario

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
Time to buy a new Amiga system....
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline AmiDude

• Show only replies by AmiDude
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
It looks like the (previous) battery has leaked very badly! :eek: Dust can also be a dangerous Amiga-killer. It shortens electric components on the board.
Clean up that board A.S.A.P.! :rtfm:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:06:12 PM by AmiDude »

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
It's working again.  The cap trimmer at VC470 was bad. The clock circuit will probably never work correctly on this Amiga again but the damage is pretty much secluded to the ground plane under the battery, it didn't even spread under Paula or Denise.

Offline jsixis

• Show only replies by jsixis
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 05:49:34 AM »
I've been using my Amiga 3000T for 2 decades without the battery circuit. Every month I run re org with the clear all blocks enabled and then when I turn my amiga on I'm at least in the right month and year to set the clock.

de oxit is a great cleaner for trim pots

Offline matt3k

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
Sorry for the bad luck with the 3000 lately...

From my experience with 3000's (about 10 or so I have worked on).  It is much better so see the battery damage on the surface, than a little damage knowing all the acid is somewhere.

The 3k mb is 3 layers, and connections and traces between the board that can't be seen are easily destroyed.  3000's with little apparent damage leakage are the most prone to failure in my travels thus far.  

I have to pull my notes and schematics, but you may be able to save your clock.  One time I tied the battery to a capacitor to get around the bad trace.  It worked like a charm.  I will have to look back to see what I did.  The clock chip wasn't powered by the battery and there was no visible leads (in middle layer) so I just by passed it...  I will have to see what I did again...

Quote from: chfriend;709587
It's working again.  The cap trimmer at VC470 was bad. The clock circuit will probably never work correctly on this Amiga again but the damage is pretty much secluded to the ground plane under the battery, it didn't even spread under Paula or Denise.