Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MSWord-Bug empowered by WinX86 "Universal aspect"!  (Read 1618 times)

Description:

Offline vortexauTopic starter

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
MSWord-Bug empowered by WinX86 "Universal aspect"!
« on: September 14, 2002, 12:51:00 AM »
Supporters of the WinX86 platform praise the fact that since ALL units are mostly set up the same in the business world, its easy for any user to operate ANY individual unit!

But, because ALL units are mostly set up the same, the WORD-bug (particulary WORD97) exposed by the linked story makes this sort of attack easier to perpertrate:-
cnn

zdnet
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: MSWord-Bug empowered by WinX86 "Universal aspect&qu
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 06:23:29 AM »
Supporters of the WinX86 platform praise the fact that since ALL units are mostly set up the same in the business world, its easy for any user to operate ANY individual unit!

So its standardised. It still sucks :-D

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 12:54:39 PM »
@vortexau .

WinX86 was already a dominant business desktop PC before the MS Word 97’s appearance i.e. during the reign of Word Perfect for Windows (pre-1996 era).  

MS has leveraged it's OS domination to kill off other WinX86 business office suites i.e. Lotus Smart Suite, Word Perfect Office Suite.

My old Lotus Amipro(pre-cursor to Smart Suite) pretty much blow away Amiga/ ST/ Mac business apps during pre-1994.  

There are more than one reasons why WinX86 was the dominate business desktop OS.

ALL 3 dominant 68k based PCs(i.e. @ pre-1995 era), has yet to offer serious business software and cheap/plentiful hardware.  

A business fleet of Apple Mac PC would be expensive.

Commodore was not even serious about offering serious business office solutions i.e. mainly focusing “games”, home and DTV markets (1 OS = HW structure). Being attacked by Sega and Nintendo.

Why didn't Comodore do a deal with Word Perfect i.e. bundling Word Perfect (at least a lite version) on the A2000/A3000 (another business class Amigas)?

I don’t think Kindwords 2.0 can beat MS Works 2.0/3.0/4.0/etc.

Why didn’t Commodore support their clone fledging HW Amiga Clones (economic of scale)?

Atari was focusing beating Commodore and catering for midi and home markets (another 1 OS = HW structure).

Apple was focusing on midi, DTP and education markets (another 1 OS = HW structure).

All 3 dominant 68k PC was knock out by the X86 HW clone army (economic of scale).

Apple is pretty would not change it’s flawed 1 OS = 1 HW structure.

Before one can criticise a solution, one has to offer an alternative but comparable solution i.e.
1. 1 OS = many HW structure
2. Comparable business applications.
3. Legacy support for existing business’s data.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2002, 03:34:17 AM »
Perhaps because WordPerfect was and is rather crap? Soundly beaten by most other Amiga word processors.

IIRC WordPerfect did not even have menus etc. and had not been Amiga-ized in any way.