Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: QNX Beats Wind River and Microsoft in RTOS Shootout  (Read 2447 times)

Description:

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Re: Tao intent has a RTOS
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 24, 2002, 01:49:48 PM »
I know both Amiga and Hyperion have said AmigaDE will be incorporated into AOS4.2, but crucially we have heard no such statements from TAO, and yet it is TAO who would have to do the porting, because I haven't heard anything to indicate that Amiga Inc have any license to do any porting themselves.

Amiga certainly has a license to port intent to AmigaOS for PowerPC.  I have spoken with Tao and their license is very simple.  One buys an SDK for a particular hardware platform.  Tao provides the VP layer for the native CPU.  The licensee can deploy it as a stand-alone operating system or as an application on another OS.  Whatever method is chosen, the RTOS (and it is called "RTOS" by Tao) is always running.  The graphical environment, sometimes called elate, is actually a full RTOS with its own VP, memory model, multi-threading system, etc.

Really AmigaOS has two choices:  Port intent to AmigaOS for PowerPC or port AmigaOS to intent and then run intent on the bare hardware.

Now, some of you are getting kind of lippy.  I don't know much, but I have purchased a license for the AmigaDE SDK and the Tao intent ADK 1.3.1.  I have programmed a bit on each.  I have had 3 telephone conversations with folks at Tao and some email correnspondance.  I have been accessing documents on the Tao developer website.  These are not amazing credentials, but they are more than info gleaned from forums and news groups.

I do not know any plans that Amiga, Inc. has.  What I do know is that by the nature of Tao licensing, they can do whatever they please with intent technology as long as they pay their licensing fees.  The same offer is available to you or I.  I can't afford it right now, but at least I know what it takes to license intent because I picked up the phone and asked them.

Pax

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2002, 03:00:08 PM »
I can confirm that Amiga has full support from Tao to integrate the AmigaDE into AmigaOS.  :-D

QNX Neutrino is a fantastic kernel, and would have been a good basis for a new Amiga-like OS. Photon, the GUI used by QSSL isn't anything like AmigaOS and was never really  intended to be used as a basis to build an Amiga GUI.

QSSL has some very smart coders, but one thing bothered me when I attended a QSSL conference in Eindhoven. When they demonstrated Quake Arena running on QNX RTP, Dan Dodge (CEO) stated that they ported this because Amiga fans are mostly fond on games. His tone was a little degrading and I had the feeling that he was making fun of the community...

Some people from another company, called Millar I believe, also confronted Dan for his attitude towards the Amiga community. Fact is that most of the gamers nowadays own a Playstation and the remaining people are often computing professionals, like graphic artists. I don't like it when he spreads degrading tones towards our community during their world tour. Tao executives show far more respect towards our community!

Offline ilgulamc

• Show only replies by ilgulamc
    • http://digilander.iol.it/ilgulamc
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2002, 10:04:16 PM »
@mikeb

I don't like it when he spreads degrading tones towards our community during their world tour.

well, you know, it's not that amiga with Jim Collas and Co. showed much respect for QNX either. I actually understand pretty well why they are bitter about Amiga and the community now..
Assai sa\\\' chi sa\\\' che non sa\\\'