Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mac On Linux AmigaOne screenshots  (Read 3227 times)

Description:

Offline ackcontrols

• Show only replies by ackcontrols
Re: Mac On Linux AmigaOne screenshots
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2002, 09:28:23 AM »
quote]The EULA of MacOS_9 says ?[/quote]

The Mac I have came with OS 9 installed on it.  What does the EULA say anyway ;)  I pretty much doubt that Apple will be worried about the odd AmigaOne owner running OS 9, or even OS X.  The majority of people who purchased the AmigaOne are interested in running OS 4.0.  I ran MOL because I was curious to see if it would work.  It obviously should have, but I wasn't going to really know until I tried.

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
Re: MacOS? Linux? What are those? ;-)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2002, 02:37:54 PM »

It really burns me up to see that LinuxPPC and MacOS users view the A1 as a cheap alternative to their present hardware. Sure, it might shift more A1s - but what about AmigaOS? It it just some sh*t to them they want to wipe off as soon as possible? It's like building a house for yourself and finding someone else living in it.

The original idea of the AOS dongle doesn't sound so bad now as it had done.

Why? Who Cares?

The AmigaOne is made to run AmigaOS, but if other people dont want to run it, they can buy an a board from Eyetech they doesnt include the dongle code. Why would this burn you up? This means possibly more sales in the Amiga Market. So what it comes from the Mac Market? Its all good!
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2002, 03:41:13 PM »
The Mac I have came with OS 9 installed on it. What does the EULA say anyway ;)

And thats they point ! You got to have a Mac to use MOL in a more or less
legal way on the A1, which renders your experiment a toy.

I pretty much doubt that Apple will be worried about the odd AmigaOne owner running OS 9, or even OS X.

Sure, but some people suggested that AInc should advertise the A1
to current, Mac-user. I'll doubt that they would be interested, but I
think Apple wouldn't like that.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline ackcontrols

• Show only replies by ackcontrols
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2002, 08:09:14 PM »
And thats they point ! You got to have a Mac to use MOL in a more or less

So what about iFusion? Is that illegal too ;)  Besides, I don't understand your point.  If people are going to use OS 9 and OS X on an AmigaOne, how is Apple going to police that.  What about the Mac clones, are they not allowed to run OS 9 or OS X as well?

I do feel software like MOL or iFusion will allow AmigaOne owners with Macs to move back to the platform without losing all their software.  This is not a new concept.  I would consider the ability to run MOL a "feature" and wouldn't

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2002, 08:59:02 PM »
So what about iFusion? Is that illegal too ;) Besides, I don't understand your point. If people are going to use OS 9 and OS X on an AmigaOne, how is Apple going to police that. What about the Mac clones, are they not allowed to run OS 9 or OS X as well?

IFusion may be illegal depending on the EULA of MacOS and
local legistation. How is anybody going to police piracy ? And thats
is what you are doing when you use MacOS without owning a proper
licence for it. The (official) Mac-clones did have a MacOS-licence and
thats still intact, if this also include OSX is a different question.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
7. Blame someone else

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2002, 02:08:51 AM »
And using amigaOs on UAE is not allowed by the EULA and alot of people do that.

It must be really burning you up kronos that the amiga one is in real peoples hands that pda dev system is still over at thendic and being produced by PPC stealers inc.

I wonder why you get so involved and bitch so much , you don't even own a ppc card.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2002, 02:36:03 AM »
And using amigaOs on UAE is not allowed by the EULA and alot of people do that.

So what ? I haven't heard of any PC-company planning to sell "Amigas"
with an unlicenced UAE, like some people want to do it with A1/MOL.

It must be really burning you up kronos that the amiga one is in real peoples hands

Yeah a handful of people fiddling with Linux and an unfinished BIOS
.... YUP and where are the rest of the 200 promised for delievery in April ?

The Pegasos does exist in small numbers just like TeronCX-MK2 does.

and being produced by PPC stealers inc.

No produced by bPlan on DCE-maschinery, but who is producing the
Teron ? Oh wait big big secret  :-P  

I wonder why you get so involved and bitch so much , you don't even own a ppc card

Ah gone out of arguments it seems !
Sorry but that "A1" is not production ready with that faulty BIOS and
exist only in very few numbers, thats a fact.
You can't legally run MacOS on it, thats a fact.
You can't even run Amiga-SW on. thats a fact.
A few people can run Linux on it atm, but that doesn't make sense
at this "bang4buck"-rate.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
7. Blame someone else

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2002, 03:57:55 AM »
I personally say more power to them. If they are willing to buy Alan's 600 Megahertz AmigaOne (MAI Board) and call it a "cheap alternative for Linux" then that's apparently the kind of idiot Amiga Inc wants in this community. Welcome aboard.

Idiot? "Cheap alternative" to *OTHER* PPC MBs on the market, which there really arent any except evaluation boards.

Let me ask all you little hardware tweekers something, and I want an honest answer. When was the last year you guys remember paying $1.00+ per Megahertz for a motherboard? 1991? 1992?

Well lets see, about 4 years ago(1998ish) a P3 MB + 600Mhz CPU would have cost you about $1000USD.

I've still yet to hear a reasonable reason for the A1 to cost $650 + the cost of OS.

Where did you get this price from? The last time I checked the announced price was going to be approximately $600USD for MB+CPU+OS included.

Besides WintendoXP retail is $200USD. $50-70USD for AmigaOS4.0 doesn't sound to bad after all eh? Of course it doesnt cost that much if you pirate it, which of course I suspect is happening ALOT here.

So let's see here.
WindowsXP  ~$200
Pentium3 733 ~$100
Decent MB  ~$100
-----------------------------
Total ~$400

What I've listed about is a 'close to' spec of the AmigaOne. Amigaone/os4 is ~$600 at launch, P3/WinXP is ~$400 even with the costs of the hardware through the floor because it is out of production. So an extra $200 to support the Amiga platform is what it boils down to when we are being completely honest. But of course there is alot of dishonesty because the OS is usually pirated on the PC.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline System

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2002, 05:34:35 AM »
I didn't pirate XP, and you can't even begin to seriously compare Windows XP to the slightly updated 1991 AmigaOS (I'll spot you until 3.1).  Let me see if I can remember;

Gigabyte GA7-DXR RAID motherboard = $110
Athlon 1.4 GIGAHERTZ / 266 bus cpu = $75
Windows XP Pro = $92.00

So, $277 for the whole shooting match.  Oh, wait, $25 for shipping, or a whole  $302.00..  Add in $100 for 512 Megabytes of Memory, $35 for a case, and about $130 for a 64 MB DDR Geforce 2 Pro video card (last year's price), about $65 for a 40 Gigabyte hard drive and it's what....

$612 for a complete system at least twice as fast as the AmigaOne with 1000x the available software, instant networking, and all the basic tools anyone needs to be operational.  

Given that you are talking "$600" for a board and CPU (I'll even grant you the $50), you are still out $300+ for the other stuff.

Compare this to a 600Mhz G3 iMac ("old-style") and it becomes a little more reasonable, but not much, since I can pick up one matching pretty much my specs for about $850 and still get better software availability.

"This" is not about $50 to support the Amiga or Amiga Inc.  This is not about hardware or software loyalty.  This is about common sense versus fanaticism.  Any attempts to say otherwise are just too humorous for words.

Offline GadgetMasterTopic starter

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2002, 06:05:40 AM »
This is about common sense versus fanaticism

Not in every case :-) Then again some hobbies are on the wrong side of common sense.  :-D

I will be buying the Amiga One NOT out of fanaticism but because computers are my hobby and I can afford an expensive hobby. My current Towered A1200 was NOT bought to replace my PC or to do my everyday computing tasks,  rather I wanted to master that curious Amiga OS that I neglected the first time around (My old 1200  was only used for games)

I am aware that there are many who do manage to do  everything they need on their Amiga setups and I do not have anything against that.

I know perfectly well where the Amiga stands as a platform.

I won't be getting rid of my PC anytime soon  because it has too much stuff that I rely on

1000x the available software

I will have best of both worlds :-P

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2002, 06:30:38 AM »
You're right, it shouldn't burn me up - but it does, and I can't figure out why. It'll sell boards, and perhaps even begin a MHz race that'll benefit us in the long run. But it still bothers me. I'll get over it.

Perhaps it was slashdot's attitude that got me angry. Something like: "Amigas are still alive? I'm not using that sh*t. I'll use MY *superior* OS on their hardware and wipe that old sh*t off." Well, not in so many words, but the principle was there. Or so I thought when I read it.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2002, 07:55:01 AM »
I didn't pirate XP

I'm not claiming YOU did. I do know people openly pirate M$ OSes while arguing against other platforms though.

and you can't even begin to seriously compare Windows XP to the slightly updated 1991 AmigaOS

As a matter of fact yes I will. I do not believe in a single thing M$ stands for. You and really do see things entirely different.

I do not want tons of crap eye candy and useless feature that I cannot turn off. I do not want a browser I cannot uninstall. I do not want spyware. I do not want backdoors in my OS. I do not want security flaws put in place by design. I do not want to call 'Big Brother Billy Gates' for permission everytime I upgrade my video card. I do not want to have to accept a Eula that if you actually read it, says you basically have 0 rights and M$ owns your soul and first born. I do not want substandard apps that cannot be removed, and by design kills any other competative app.

Seriously Wayne, will you be touting M$'s values when Longhorn is released?
 :-?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline System

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2002, 10:12:08 AM »
Seriously Wayne, will you be touting M$'s values when Longhorn is released?
I'm not touting Microsoft at all, nor am I defending their virtues or lack thereof.  What I am saying, and will defend is the fact that Windows may not be perfect, but it's a damned sight more usable than AmigaOS will ever be, or ever has been.

You make claims of not wanting it all bundled in, but I personally find that while AmigaOS is stable on it's own, the very minute I start adding anything as simple as a browser, the machine becomes inherently unstable.  I can crash any Amiga standing within 7 minutes without trying.  

I am now going on 178 days without having to restart my Windows XP box due to a crash, and I use it every single day at least 10 hours per day.  I make my living on this box.  There is no Amiga on the planet which can claim that.  Hence I have absolutely no interest in a faster version of an antique and commercially unsupportable OS on a proprietary, overpriced and underpowered PowerPC.  

Give me the hardware independence promised by Bill McEwen in the beginning, or nothing at all.  After all, as the owner of four machines, all faster than the AmigaOne --  even at 1 Ghz -- and each capable of running Linux, exactly what is my motivation to spend extra money for a slower, proprietary, non-supported machine?

But then again, to each his own.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #28 from previous page: July 11, 2002, 10:38:35 AM »
From AKCONTROLS:

"If I understand correctly, the logic for determining processor speed in Linux for the PPC is pretty bad.  A good example is my G3 500 Mhz Mac shows up at 135 Mhz and 1000 BogoMIPS.   Here the 600 Mhz CPU  hows up as 500 Mhz and 1200 BogoMIPS.  LinuxAPUS code was a cluster to determine proper bus speed and CPU speed as well.  It's more a Linux thing than anything else.  I've just not had the time to fix the kernel programming as I've been busy working on a couple of other more interesting things."