Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rep Power  (Read 2542 times)

Description:

Offline ManagarmTopic starter

• Show only replies by Managarm
    • http://www.freewebs.com/robinslair
Re: Rep Power
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:32 AM »
You don't become a made man overnight.

I'm really going to stop the mob references now!

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 03:14:20 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;513513
I get the impression that's more or less how it works. After that, it's all down to what reputation you receive for making noteworthy posts.

Hi

@Karlos

Boy am I in trouble, anybody ever reach minus rep points, I have been trying hard and I just can't seem to get the knack of getting my positive points to negitive.

Darn the Luck

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 03:27:39 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;513511
Your most recent reputation received should be visible in your User CP section.
Point of clarification:

*if* you're a subscriber.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 04:30:44 AM »
Wayne, isn't negative rep points a bit cruel & unusual punishment?  (its going to force new user registrations?)  It should stop at 0 i think.  Same for rep power.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
Quote from: smerf;513532
Hi

@Karlos

Boy am I in trouble, anybody ever reach minus rep points, I have been trying hard and I just can't seem to get the knack of getting my positive points to negitive.

Darn the Luck

smerf

That's because giving negative reputation points is often a worse reflection on the person giving them than the person receiving them. We all know you like to try and wind people up but as trolls go you're actually quite likeable :)
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »
Quote from: smerf;513532
Hi

@Karlos

Darn the Luck

smerf

There you go +1, that should keep you out of the negatives for a bit, take care xxx

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;513569
There you go +1, that should keep you out of the negatives for a bit, take care xxx

Mwhahahaha :lol:

Evil idea ;)
int p; // A

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »
Ok, Karlos, if your going to do the evil laugh and evilness thing you HAVE to change your avatar!  the doggie is WAY to cute and luvable to think evil thoughts... :)

I sudgest the Crusty the Clown with Kingon Batlet pic of old...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;513572
Ok, Karlos, if your going to do the evil laugh and evilness thing you HAVE to change your avatar!  the doggie is WAY to cute and luvable to think evil thoughts... :)

I sudgest the Crusty the Clown with Kingon Batlet pic of old...

He is pretty docile. That's my brother's German Shepard. Technically he was the family pet, but given there's just the two of them there now.

He really is exceptionally friendly and well natured.
int p; // A

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;513537
Wayne, isn't negative rep points a bit cruel & unusual punishment?  (its going to force new user registrations?)  It should stop at 0 i think.  Same for rep power.
edit: no.  Giving out infractions and suspensions (which I may be forced to do to a couple who won't stop arguing) is cruel and unusual.  The rep program only enforces that what you say -- and more importantly, how you conduct yourself -- truly matters.

edit :  This is what gets me.  Some of you are actually so bothered by the fact that you have earned such a reputation, that you will incessantly sit here and whine and bitch about the rep program in thread after thread until you hope to wear me down enough to remove the program altogether.

Here's the thing though.  If you have a zero rep or below, you obviously did something to earn it.  Rather than bitching and whining about the existence of the program, maybe you ought to change your attitude a little bit to start earning positive rep points instead, thereby proving why I put the rep program in play to begin with...

edit: looking through the log of rep points, I may have no choice, because it's obvious that most of you aren't mature enough to handle such a system and it's turned into "I don't like x, so every time he posts, I'll give him negative rep".  I sometimes forget most of you were born after the death of Commodore and haven't reached emotional puberty yet...  

edit: If I sound a bit harsh it's not towards you terminator4, but overall disappointment at the lack of maturity shown by lots of people regarding what should be a fun and productive part of the web site.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:27:41 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 02:09:13 AM »
I picked up the habit of using the rep system to leave short comments on posts in general, not necessarily on posts that were helpful. For example, if something made me laugh I might give it some positive reputation.I don't usually give out negative feedback though, unless truly earned.

I don't know if this constitutes a misuse of the system.
int p; // A

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 03:12:55 AM »
@Karlos,

Giving someone a positive rep point for making you laugh, or for being a good natured guy isn't a bad thing.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, because in my book, someone who makes you laugh -- unless it's at another's expense -- is pretty helpful.  

That being said, (and this is not about your usage of the system) your post helps illustrate at least a very small part of the problem I'm seeing.  

@everyone

The difference between intention and reality is clear here.  It's not that people are mis-using the system, it's simply that -- even though people know what the system's for, they're completely and intentionally ignoring said rules, and 1000 different people are making the rules up as they go along.

Then you get the people who actually earned bad reps bitching about having EARNED said reputation for being a butthead, and it's obvious to me that the reputation system -- while potentially helpful, isn't very useful when I have to spend all day and night hearing these {bleep} {bleep} and whine about it all blessed day.  

The reputation system was intended as a way to sort of self-moderate the system.  Believe it nor not, it WAS working (note that in the month since vB, we've only had one "loving couple" going at it like two spoiled children), but again, toss in 1000 people who don't care about how it's supposed to work and it's a moot point.

To that end, instead of the rep system, I am going to disable it, then start taking the reported posts very seriously, handing out infractions and suspending the people who are causing the constant personality conflicts.  Something I assure you, I never, ever wanted to do, ever again.

(... and some of you people bitched about me being an evil, censoring tyrant before.  :laughing:..)

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
And just like that, it was gone again :lol:
int p; // A

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 07:35:34 PM »
@Wayne

Hmm after reading your post - I guess it makes sense.  To find out the rep points I clicked on Experience:
Are these my rep points and rep power of 23?
    *  Points for User: 4,041
    * Per day: 4,012
    * Friends: 6

What is considered good reputation?  I think i'm ok??? Sorry i'm being paranoid!!!  Cause sometimes I can get quite outspoken.  I look at my numbers and they seem low???

edit: If I sound a bit harsh it's not towards you terminator4, but overall disappointment at the lack of maturity shown by lots of people regarding what should be a fun and productive part of the web site.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:38:02 PM by terminator4 »

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #28 from previous page: June 28, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »
I don't I'll pay much attention to that. Would be funny to compete for the lowest one ;)
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"