Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any sensible place with OS4 software?  (Read 1042 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
Any sensible place with OS4 software?
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »
Greetings!

The issue is as simple as that.

I really spent several hours on searching for some OS4-software-buy -like phrase.

Result: NOTHING at all.

There are a few sites having some OS4 software but they look as some typical freeware skinny ports of some basic utils from linux.

I want something RICH! I want some sexy interface, ease of use, stuff really helpful.

Not mentioning the office environment.  I really want to edit Word documents (or rich-text at least).

Somebody please help!  If there is any.

I really got eager for getting complete OS4 environment (with hardware) but... do not want to use my OS4 machine as yet another web browser and file manager only...
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Any sensible place with OS4 software?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »
Have you tried Cinnamon Writer yet?  It's not complete yet but it should work for .RTF files when it's done.

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
What system do you have? In case it's a Sam or an AmigaOne, check out AmiCygnix and install AbiWord and Gnumeric. The latest version of AmiCygnix is said to be faster than the previous one, I haven't checked it yet though.

Another program with "sexy" GUI that comes to mind now is Milkytracker.. I hope that you'll find it to be sexy as much as I do :lol:

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »
For RTF you can use old (commercial) 68k programs for Amiga :) I like FinalWriter for example.. I find it's interface pretty sexy too ;)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »

pVC wrote:

you can use old (commercial) 68k programs for Amiga :) I like FinalWriter for example

Yes, there are some word processors out there, e.g. AmigaWriter...

But it is hard to check your OS compliance while some prerequisites list just mandatory hardware... A bit confusing for a person not wanting to deal with such details because lacks some knowledge.

What I meant was sure, there are some software outlets on the web but I miss something like Apple has - central software repository.

Of course it is purely commercial (I mean the one on Apple website) and is a part of company's policy - to provide the users of a minor share platform with as much software as possible.  Others like version tracker exist as well.

I think Amiga software is too much distributed throughout various shops.  One needs a single place to store the info about it.  All the more about recent Amiga OSes, there is a very small amount of users, compared for Mac users base.  So the need is even more crucial.

While some effort is being spent on maintaining numerous forums and other A-devoted sites, I wonder why there's no such place in the web.  Not mentioning there's no single place to store software for ALL Amiga platforms...

I mean it happens but if one considers the software I am mainly talking about is proprietary...  I mean how are like new OS4 users supposed to get their desktop apps?  Why?  It seems strange to me really because it all impacts the whole story negatively.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline BillE

• Show only replies by BillE
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:24:28 PM »