Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: George Robbins  (Read 1699 times)

Description:

Offline mark500Topic starter

• Show only replies by mark500
George Robbins
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a new poster but have been an amiga fan since getting an A500 for Christmas in '88. Having watched Dave Haynie's Deathbed Vigil I was saddened to see George Robbins had passed away at a young age in 2002.George as far as i can gather was the man responsible for morphing the 1000 into the 500 we know and love today. Yet searching his name reveals a no longer working memorial site - and precious little else - I'm interested in creating a permanent memorial page for him, has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on where to start?

thanks guys,
mark.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Re: George Robbins
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:02:29 PM »
Is the no longer working memorial site dead because someone stopped paying the fees to keep it alive? I'd suggest starting with a plan to keep the fees paid forever. Maybe it's better to stick such things on sites where there is something else keeping things running monetarily rather than a stand alone site and URL. Perhaps see if any of the popular Amiga sites will host it or even geocities since they seem to never delete any site as far as I know or perhaps set up a memorials-r-us website so people that need forever online memorial webspace can all get together and pool their money or something.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline mark500Topic starter

• Show only replies by mark500
Re: George Robbins
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:31:22 PM »
Some good points there weirdami - however i dont think the problem was lack of funds, i believe the memorial page was part of the website of the company he worked for, namely netaxs - and with the passage of time it seems the page was removed.

check out http://thecavegirl.org/grr.html   - i dug up this link about a girl who used to work for him at the netaxs company and it has some pics of him at work and a write up about him. other finds include old messages from his commodore days regarding rollerskating - he was hooked on it.

If anyone has more pics, info etc, i would love to hear from you. i thought about contacting legend Dave Haynie for some info. - or maybe Randel Jessop who i tracked down recently online, but would like to get some stuff together first before i trouble them.