Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: help with a1200  (Read 869 times)

Description:

Offline jkirkTopic starter

• Show only replies by jkirk
help with a1200
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:52:01 PM »
 my uncle had an old a1200/40hd at his house. i offered to pay for but he wanted to get rid of it so he gave it to me. basically it is just the computer with what looks like a vga adapter(no scandoubler.)

i know i need a mouse (and an internal drive it seems)but am a little perplexed as to what monitor i should look at getting. also any additional hardware i should look into?

btw: it came with 3.0 and 3.1 os disks

most of the disks and the internal drive that came with it appears to be either dirty or dead.

money is an issue.

The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline DoogUK

• Show only replies by DoogUK
Re: help with a1200
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
For games i would stick to the commodore 1084 monitor or the phillips cmi8338, both have stereo speakers built in and are readily available on ebay....i have 4 of them  :-D

Internal 2.5" are very cheap on ebay too and you can have up to 4 gig without running into problems  and this is tons of space for an amiga.

only other thing i would suggest is a ram expansion, even a 4mb one makes a huge difference but better still is an accelerator with extra ram.
a1200T/040@40/64mb/10 gig/CWB
a600/3.5mb/3.25gb
a1200/blizz 040@40/128mb/4gb compact flash/CWB A4000/40

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:43:35 AM »
sorry i wasn't clear internal Floppy drive is dead or needs cleaning.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
OK, so use a tv instead of a monitor, and clean the floppy drive. Its always worth looking around your local area for other spare parts. Some people think they are made of gold, others throw them away  :-)

Does it actually boot up ?
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline hamtronix

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:24:59 PM »
Get a can of air and blow out the drive. also you can try giving the floppy a couple of good pats. that fixed my a1200 drive that was 'dead'
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:42:09 AM »
Does it actually boot up ?

sure it boots even has the 3.1 roms in it. tho i might upgrade the hd(40meg). it was configured for a multisync monitor(commodore model # unknown.) needless to say it don't look to good on the 1084 i have but since it is dying(the monitor) that don't matter.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 02:44:36 AM »

hamtronix wrote:
Get a can of air and blow out the drive. also you can try giving the floppy a couple of good pats. that fixed my a1200 drive that was 'dead'

good floppy *pat* *pat* :)

i will try to clean it though the fact it just clicks don't inspire confidence. :-(

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:50:06 AM »
Amiga drives don't "just" click. :-P

I support the platform for floppy drive cleaning. That cleared up a lot of "bad" disk problems I had with an A1000 I once picked up. Those 20 year old disks magically started working again after I cleaned the drive out.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.