Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: kickstart3.5  (Read 2175 times)

Description:

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: kickstart3.5
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 04, 2003, 05:53:29 PM »

Thomas wrote:
I suggest you consult the BlizKick docs yourself, it describes very detailed why it is not possible to create a patched ROM chip from all the new modules.

Ummm... so what? I'm not talking about a ROM chip, i'm talking about a ROM image, which is just a file on a disk.

Playstation Network ID: xeron6

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2003, 01:07:50 AM »
Well, so far no answers.  I do have the Developer CD 2.1, and should have the 3.9 update for it.  Maybe there is something in there that will do this?

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2003, 03:09:12 AM »
Hmm, couldn't find squat on the developer CD.  :-/

Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to make this work?

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2003, 02:34:10 PM »
So, anybody have any ideas?

Offline xeron

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2003, 03:19:09 PM »

DWolfman wrote:
 but the applypatch program won't apply them to the rom image.  How did you get it to work?

What I did (I *think*, this was ages ago), was use BlizKick to load a normal KS3.1 image, and apply all the OS3.9 patches and modules I wanted using EXTRESBUF to create extra space. IIRC, BlizKick has an option to save the new ROM it creates back out to disk, and thats what I used.

I think thats what I did, anyway. It was ages ago now. It doesn't really help if you use WinUAE, though.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2003, 05:23:24 PM »

Tickly wrote:
What I did (I *think*, this was ages ago), was use BlizKick to load a normal KS3.1 image, and apply all the OS3.9 patches and modules I wanted using EXTRESBUF to create extra space. IIRC, BlizKick has an option to save the new ROM it creates back out to disk, and thats what I used.

I think thats what I did, anyway. It was ages ago now. It doesn't really help if you use WinUAE, though.

Hmm, too bad I don't have an A1200 with a Blizzard card in it.  :-/

There has to be some way to do this without a Blizzard setup.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2003, 06:41:19 PM »

This won't work, I'm afraid. The EXTRESBUF is outside the ROM image itself. Modules placed on EXTRES area are not saved to the image.

There is no way to get the EXTRES modules included in the 512K image.

Only the modules that can be applypatch'ed make it to the ROM Image.

For further details, see BlizKick.guide.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2003, 01:20:36 AM »
a new kickstart was one reason i bought 3.5 - and certainly the reason i didnt buy 3.9

before i bought 3.5 i read that amiga inc. would produce a new kickstart for '3.6' ONLY if there were enough sales of 3.5, i bought 3.5, there were enough sales
and 3.9(!) was released with no ROM!

so i was diapointed, and will probably never buy 3.9

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2003, 09:21:44 PM »
So I guess nobody has any ideas?  :-/

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2003, 09:31:13 PM »
It deepends on the card you have. for 040/060 Apollo boards theirs RemApollo.

For others it may be possable to use "LoadModules"
which is part of the MMULib package (assuming ya card has an MMU).

I use Blizzkick myself so havent tried the above solutions,  but maybe worth looking at.

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2003, 09:34:53 PM »
a new kickstart was one reason i bought 3.5 - and certainly the reason i didnt buy 3.9

Thats your loss im affraid, OS39 is what OS35 should have been and i wish i hadnt baught os35 and just waited another year ;)

An updated kickstart wasnt really neccessary, the rom update on first boots works like a charm making the expense of producing new kickstarts totaly pointless.

Offline xeron

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2003, 09:47:43 PM »

This won't work, I'm afraid. The EXTRESBUF is outside the ROM image itself. Modules placed on EXTRES area are not saved to the image.

There is no way to get the EXTRES modules included in the 512K image.

Hmm... I must be going mad. I was absolutely sure I had created a 3.9 pre-patched image that was >512Kb, but I just checked, and I'm not using one. Weird. I don't know where I got that idea from tbh. :-?

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2003, 01:55:58 PM »
@Madd-Matt

I don't have a card, I'm running my old Amiga setup through WinUAE (booting straight off the old HD).  All I need to be able to do is come up with a Kickstart ROM image that has all the modules (or as many as I can get) in it that I need for this setup.  Thing is there doesn't seem to be any readily-available ROM module manipulation programs out there.  Sure there are programs to load them resident at boot time, but that's not what I'm after.

@Tickly

Hmm, maybe it isn't possible then.  This is starting to look a bit bleak.  :-(

Say, I just remembered something.  The other day I noticed a file on Aminet for making a FlashROM module that plugs into an A500.  It's designed to have 1 MB of space on it (don't worry, the docs explained it and it is possible to have more than a 512KB ROM in any Amiga, as it was done that way for at least one model).  What I did notice is it mentioned that anything could be loaded into that second half-meg, including reboot-resident modules like the OS3.5/3.9 ones.  I wonder if anything like this could be possible with WinUAE?