Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A2000-HD TCP/IP  (Read 732 times)

Description:

Offline bignateTopic starter

• Show only replies by bignate
    • http://lagerbottom.com
A2000-HD TCP/IP
« on: January 28, 2005, 12:52:47 PM »
Hello,

I recently came into a A2000-HD.  I managed to get it all set up last night and had fun messing with it.  However since I am on unfamilar ground (and google is being fickle) I thought I'd post some initial questions I had.  Sorry if these have been posted before but I couldn't quite cull what I wanted from the search feature here.

1. I have an ethernet 'card'.  It plugs into a card in the back and says: TPT 92 Series, by Cabletron Systems.  I plug it in and the power light comes on.  Connecting it to my network brings up the link light.  I did some cursory searching in the shell and found what I am assuming is a text browser (since I am familiar with lynx on linux) called Alynx.  However an attept to start it errors with: You must first start AMItcp (or something close).  I tried searching around in various directories and couldn't find that (it may not be installed).  This brings up several issues:

2. Could someone point me toward a quick and dirty tutorial for the amiga shell

3. I could also use a tutorial on how to get an amiga connected to a network (as this may solve a few of my problems)

4. how in the heck does one delete a file?? :)  I was very pleased to find vim in one dir, and decided to fire it up to see it in action...well I saved the file and 'rm' and 'del' don't work (I bet you are chuckling at me now :)

5. I was also curious to learn more about the system, is there a way to list installed hardware. Similar to 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' etc?

The OS is 3.0.  I am assuming from what I have read that workbench is the GUI riding on the OS, but I am unclear as to what version I have running.  

Any help is really appreciated, sorry for the long post, I am just eager to get up and running and it feels kind of neato to be on unfamiliar ground :)

TIA
----------------------
Geek is as geek does...

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
Re: A2000-HD TCP/IP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 01:23:25 PM »
1. TPT 92 Series, by Cabletron Systems.

After some googling that looks like it is a an AUI -> UTP converter or something. It certainly isn't an Amiga-centric piece of hardware. My guess is that you have an old AUI-only network card in the A2000 that needs such a converter to connect it to a 'modern' UTP cabled network.
The Alynx thingy you found is indeed an Amiga port of the Lynx text browser. AmigaOS doesn't have an TCP/IP stack of itself and relies on a thirdparty one. There are several available. AmiTCP being one of them, others include Miami, Genesis, TermiteTCP and AS225/r (or something silly similar to that).

2. Amiga University has a bunch of links (some very dead and outdated though :/) to all sorts of topics including AmigaDOS and networking. For an excellent database of lots of Amiga-only hardware try The Big Book of Amiga Hardware.

3. See above

4. Try...(wait for it.....)...drumroll....'delete'! :-D.

5. Not as such (I know zero of unixy-OS'es, so that command means nothing to me). AmigaOS doesn't really use a centralised database of all installed software.

I gather you are able to boot into Workbench (the GUI) if you press right-mouse button you'll get a dropdown menu which has (on the far left dropdown menu) an option to show the versions of the ROM and Workbench itself. Try posting the numbers you get here (most probably something like 39.xxx).

2 revisited:

Click 1, click 2 (you'll need an Amigaguide viewer for your OS to view the files in the LHA archives, Amigaguide is an Amiga hyperlink ASCII fileformat), click 3 (amigarealm, another database of links and general info, recommended), click 4 (nostalgic overview of all AmigaOS versions).

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 01:25:24 PM »
First off, C= never released 3.0 for the A2000, it is probably the 2.1 or 3.1 version of the OS.  You can do a system check either by typing line commands in a shell window (cpu, avail, dir, list, makedir, etc.) or by opening a program in the drawer Tools (I forget the exact name). Logical device names are always followed by a full colon (:) and directories by a forward slash (/).  Type (cd /) to go back a directory or (cd device name: or drawer name) to go forward. There is a shell program icon in the system drawer, double click on it to open a shell on workbench.  For tcp/ip, you'll need a tcp stack program (try MiamiDeluxe, AmiTCP, Genesis or Termite TCP).  You need to know the device name for your ethernet card to configure it on a network or go on-line.  Delete is done either through a shell command (delete drive name:directory/filename) or via a pull-down menu at the top of the Workbench screen (click once on the file you wish to delete).  Files without icons can be seen graphically on Workbench by opening the drawer and then select Show All Files via a pull-down menu.  There's a program in the Tools drawer called IconEdit which allows you to create icons for files which don't have them.
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline patrik

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 01:35:46 PM »
@bignate:

5. You can execute 'showconfig' to show what hardware you have installed in your machine. If the machine was shipped with network card and preinstalled os, you should dig around on the harddrive as it is quite possible there are a fully configured, already installed TCP/IP-stack lurking there somewhere. If so, it is very likely that it is AmiTCP.

/Patrik

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 03:35:59 PM »
I will reply to the other posts later, after I try some of the stuff you folks posted (thanks!)

But to Patrik (or someone else:), is there a standard directory where one might expect to find AMItcp?  And to start it I am assuming I simply type it's name.  See I am getting bitten a bit by being a linux user) in linux you'd have to specify the absolute path to the init script and then start|stop|restart the service...thanks again!

----------------------
Geek is as geek does...

Offline patrik

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »
@bignate:

If it is correctly installed, you should have an AmiTCP: assign. You check if you do by typing in 'AmiTCP:' in a shell and pressing enter and see if it works. It is started with a script called 'startnet' in the global path and stopped with a script called 'stopnet'. Though you would most probably have to configure it for your network.

A tip on the Amiga is to click around on your harddrive-partitions and see what you find for goodies in the drawers there.

Btw, it would be quite possible that your network card is a Commodore A2065. Oh well, showconfig will tell you if it is as it is one of the few cards it have a name for in its small database. For cards that are not present not in the database, you will only get the manufacturer and product number. You can search what expansion that matches what numbers on this page.

/Patrik

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 04:19:29 PM »
Something else which may help...

from the shell, most of the commands are present in the C: device (others are resident in the ROM, and can be viewed using the "resident" command).

For almost every command, you can just append a "?" to see a command pattern which will let you know how to use the command...

This should help you find the exact syntax of the delete command, and any other over which you may stumble.
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 06:17:55 PM »
Too Much,

hmmm, it says (at the top of the GUI screen) "AmigaOS 3.0"

One thing I did fail to mention which might be important is that during boot a small box pops up and says "BETA Release for Registered Developers only, do not redistribute"

*shrug* not sure if that matters or not.
----------------------
Geek is as geek does...

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 07:00:25 PM »
cool, maybe you have a beta release of OS 3.0 then? if you type "version" in the shell, what Kickstart and Workbench versions does it report?

The requester could be from some other program though.

Also as someone else mentioned, mostly all shell commands are in the C directory of your Boot harddrive, and it can be simply accessed by typing "C:" in the shell, some basic and often used AmigaDOS commands are:

copy
delete
rename
makedir
type
assign (if you type "assign test: ram:env", you can simply access ram:env by just typing test: (confusing explanation?))
info (shows info about the devices in your system)
showconfig (as patrik already mentioned, lists hardware)
status (shows processes running, sort of)
break (kill, sort of)

uhm, I hope this don't just make you more confused :)
Slightly bored and severly confused..