Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gumstix now usable  (Read 1103 times)

Description:

Offline DanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dan
Gumstix now usable
« on: June 30, 2004, 12:18:04 AM »
wireless  Yes, Infineon Bluetooth? Module on btuart ROK104001    power management circuitry on board  UART (3), I2C, USB Client, NSSP, PWM (2), AC97, LCD Controller, JTAG

They got Bluetooth, sound and a LCD-controller now so it´s actually usable.

Now who are going to make an Xscale-port of AROS? :-)
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Gumstix now usable
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 01:13:20 PM »

Dan wrote:
wireless  Yes, Infineon Bluetooth? Module on btuart ROK104001    power management circuitry on board  UART (3), I2C, USB Client, NSSP, PWM (2), AC97, LCD Controller, JTAG

They got Bluetooth, sound and a LCD-controller now so it´s actually usable.

Now who are going to make an Xscale-port of AROS? :-)

How compatible is the XScale with the ARM?

Offline DanTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 01:25:23 PM »
No idea, but some of the latest Palm pdas use xscale.

Edit Pocketpc Xscale runs StrongARM programs, don´t know about those other ARM variants, ARM9, TI arm?

guest1955

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:28:40 PM »
You two are obsessed!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 01:42:42 PM »

tangletown wrote:
You two are obsessed!

It's the future dude!!!

Offline DanTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 02:09:58 PM »

tangletown wrote:
You two are obsessed!

It all started so innocently with an A500 and a TI-82 graphing calculator..............

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 10:20:55 PM »
If it were me, I'd probably base a new Amiga on this, the Viper Motherboard.

I'd run AROS and UAE on it, and market it as a propper low cost, low power, low form factor system!

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 11:09:46 PM »

bloodline wrote:
If it were me, I'd probably base a new Amiga on this, the Viper Motherboard.

I'd run AROS and UAE on it, and market it as a propper low cost, low power, low form factor system!

You might find the experience unpleasant as the Xscale doesn't have much in the way of floating point support (ie. none), some things would zip along others would drag such as MP3, JPEG, video codecs etc.  Anything mathy wouldn't be nice and have to be well coded using fixed point routines.

The Xscales are nice for embedded applications that do a limited amount of functions (such as MP3 players, phones etc) or as a way of interfacing to more specalised DSP's and IC's, but for general purpose stuff like a home computer they tend to feel a bit sucky as it's not what they were intended for.

Regards

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 04:44:14 PM »
I think you have confused the XScale with the StrongARM... The XScale has very good FP poerformance, MP3 and DivX seem to run fine on the 400Mhz version. The Xscale even has some DSP instructions in there :-)

My point is, that if you wanted to make a new Amiga you would have to sell it on the original strengths of the amiga brand, Cheap, small and versitile... not something which a PPC board with standard PC components is able to provide.

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 11:24:27 PM »

bloodline wrote:
I think you have confused the XScale with the StrongARM... The XScale has very good FP poerformance, MP3 and DivX seem to run fine on the 400Mhz version. The Xscale even has some DSP instructions in there :-)

My point is, that if you wanted to make a new Amiga you would have to sell it on the original strengths of the amiga brand, Cheap, small and versitile... not something which a PPC board with standard PC components is able to provide.

Nope, not confused ... the XScale has no floating point support, go over to the Intel site and you can read all about it.  Even Google brings up heaps of answers if you enter in "Xscale floating point".  
Developers have to either do their stuff with fixed point routines or use emulation.

I know DivX and MP3 run great on the 400Mhz devices ... but you can't do much elese while they are doing it, users would whinge and moan if their home computer ground to a halt while playing, what they think, is a simple movie or music file.

If you wanted another "new" and "cheap" Amiga based around something like an Xscale, you'd have to load the motherboard with other DSPs and processors to take away the load from the main CPU, you'd need a graphics processor, sound processor and maybe a DSP for other odds and sods ... in the end it's cheaper to go for a general purpose CPU and use cheaper less intelligent graphics processors etc ... provided you can do the volume .. which is where the Pegasos and Amiga1 are having problems, not enough users means higher prices.

Regards

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 02:03:04 PM »

If you wanted another "new" and "cheap" Amiga based around something like an Xscale, you'd have to load the motherboard with other DSPs and processors to take away the load from the main CPU, you'd need a graphics processor, sound processor and maybe a DSP for other odds and sods ... in the end it's cheaper to go for a general purpose CPU and use cheaper less intelligent graphics processors etc ... provided you can do the volume .. which is where the Pegasos and Amiga1 are having problems, not enough users means higher prices.

Yeah, that was my thinking.

Lots of XScales, DSPs and microcontrolers + an industry standard GPU :-)

It would be far more interesting as a hobby machine than what we have now.