Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In the summer time, when the weather is hot...  (Read 635 times)

Description:

Offline HyperspeedTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
In the summer time, when the weather is hot...
« on: July 15, 2005, 04:12:47 AM »
Damn it's even hotter than 2003 this year, how does everyone keep their Amiga cool when the CPU is busy?

Would anyone like to share pics of an elaborate cooling system, or tips on how to keep things ventilated?

Are there any commercial temperature monitoring kits with Amiga in mind, maybe thermostats with links to a software program?

It's more of a problem for console/desktop Amiga owners than big box owners I know, but surely with just a small fan the PPC604 is at risk of meltdown if you don't have air-con!

8-) :-o 8-) :-P

Offline AmigaMance

• Show only replies by AmigaMance
Re: In the summer time, when the weather is hot...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 05:53:53 AM »
 I'm sharing the same concerns with you. The temperature here reaches 31 degrees at noon and i worry about my desktop BlizzardPPC. I don't get any lockups due to over-heating, though. Maybe it's a sneaky kind of thing.

I'm using 2 heatsinks with fans for the 603 and 68040 CPUs with the trapdoor removed, but the chips on the other side of card gets really hot.
 Sorry, but i don't know if there are any commercial temperature monitoring kits.
A1200 PPC user.

Offline HyperspeedTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
Re: In the summer time, when the weather is hot...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 06:20:42 AM »
Wow, that's a hot combination!

I thought the 3v '060 was supposed to be cool enough to run without a fan but I can feel it through the trapdoor and the desk! I can't imagine what an '040 40MHz would reach at mid-day!

:-D

The thing is, the memory SIMMs get hot too and the case gets so hot it gives off an occasional crack sound from expansion/contraction.

With fans I suppose it's all dependant on how hot the ambient room temperature is, since it's no good blowing hot air back over the CPU (although anything's got to be cooler than the surface of a CPU).

It'd be cool to take out the floppy drive and replace it with some sort of closed-circuit cooling unit with a little pump and heat-pipe! I think it's time to wake up to the danger of heat on rare hardware such as Amiga accelerators as they might all die out in a mass extinction if global warming gets worse!

;-)

It hit 32°C/89.9°F here today but that's nothing compared to what they get in the southern states of the US or the med.