Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UAE and Frame Buffer  (Read 712 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

UAE and Frame Buffer
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
Hello.
I was wondering, is there is an advantage to using UAE on a Linux system using frame buffer instead of X11? (X-Amiga)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:12:19 AM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
Re: UAE and Fram Buffer
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;744706
Hello.
I was wondering, is there is an advantage to using UAE on a Linux system using frame buffer instead of X11? (X-Amiga)

X11 isn't well suited as a backend for emulators. Tearing, delays, high cpu usage on copy operations...
I wrote a KMS backend for SDL 1.2.x months ago and got decent results without X11 (smooth scrolls on NTSC freqs, no tearing by the means of a double-buffered display), but I'd use FS-UAE for now with it's OpenGL backend.

The future is SDL 2.0 wich has nice GL_ES support, no X11 scumm needed.

Back to the topic, the linux framebuffer device / driver (/dev/fbX) is deprecated. The KMS framebuffer is the way to go nowadays. And yes, it's way better than using crufty bloated X11 backend any day of the week.

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
Thanks.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline FrodeSolheim

• Show only replies by FrodeSolheim
    • http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:07:36 PM »
With OpenGL, there wouldn't be any significant difference when running FS-UAE in X or on the framebuffer.

But if you are running FS-UAE through a compositor on X, that can indeed impact the performance and smoothness of the display, so either disabling compositing when running FS-UAE, or running FS-UAE in fullscreen (provided that the window manager unredirects FS-UAE when in full-screen) is a good idea.