Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Non-linear video editing programs for AmigaOS 4?  (Read 1552 times)

Description:

Offline IAMNOTDEFECTIVETopic starter

• Show only replies by IAMNOTDEFECTIVE
Non-linear video editing programs for AmigaOS 4?
« on: December 08, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »
I don't know if I'm posting in the right place but I'm wondering if there is a video editor thats similar to the video toaster software but more Non-linear for AmigaOS 4. I also want a layout similar to modern video editors like Final Cut Pro X, Sony Vegas, Hitfilm 2, etc (the ones I found doesn't have the UI I have in mind).

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:42:40 PM by IAMNOTDEFECTIVE »

Re: Non-linear video editing programs for AmigaOS 4?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
Isn't there anything availiable with the non-linear editors?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »
Hi!  I see you are new, so I would just suggest you could try waiting more than 3 hours for someone to respond. ;) Also I think there's some OS4 specific forums you might try asking in, as well. Either way am sure someone will come along with an answer for you sooner or later!  Good luck in your search!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »
Quote from: IAMNOTDEFECTIVE;754030
I don't know if I'm posting in the right place but I'm wondering if there is a video editor thats similar to the video toaster software but more Non-linear for AmigaOS 4. I also want a layout similar to modern video editors like Final Cut Pro X, Sony Vegas, Hitfilm 2, etc (the ones I found doesn't have the UI I have in mind).

Thanks in advance

There's nothing similar or comparable to your references. The only software I am aware of (not an OS4 user myself) is videoclipper which provides some very basic functions to cut and join and add audio or subtitles.
Dunno if Blender version of OS4 has video editor funcionality enabled, but that would be the only alternative I could think of.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
I don't own or run OS 4, just classic, AROS, and MorphOS presently, but I can wager a guess that OS 4, like the other Amiga offerings, has nothing near as advanced as what you are looking for. Sadly such media hobbies and jobs must be done...

...not on the computer that was once put upon a platform for being the defacto media machine, but sadly a Windows or Mac machine instead. Yes those things... :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;754042
I don't own or run OS 4, just classic, AROS, and MorphOS presently, but I can wager a guess that OS 4, like the other Amiga offerings, has nothing near as advanced as what you are looking for. Sadly such media hobbies and jobs must be done...

...not on the computer that was once put upon a platform for being the defacto media machine, but sadly a Windows or Mac machine instead. Yes those things... :/

Can I have an OS4 user to confirm this, I will be sad if that this is the case! :(

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »
@IAMNOTDEFECTIVE

if you're looking for professional-level video editing on AOS4, i'm afraid it doesn't exist. that said for basic editing there is videoclipper, videoeditor, ffshop, and -- the one i use -- blender. blender's interface isn't the most intuitive, but i find it the most useful. if you're looking for something more useful, try ffshop.

i hope these will meet your needs, but as other amigans using AOS3, AOS4, MOS, and AROS can tell you, there aren't that many 'modern' professional video tools out there for us at this time.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;754042

Yep, and it could have happened. I mean, no one, for whatever reason, has tried to move Open Toaster to AOS4.
And its not just a hardware limitation here.
Just a pathetic lack  of interest.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »
Imagine having something like that available. For Mac/MorphOS even if that is possible.
Amiga was more than about the computer and OS, it was also about the software that allowed you to do things with the hardware and OS. Tis a shame to see OpenTaoster get no love. :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;754048
Imagine having something like that available. For Mac/MorphOS even if that is possible.
Amiga was more than about the computer and OS, it was also about the software that allowed you to do things with the hardware and OS. Tis a shame to see OpenTaoster get no love. :/

Yep, people here can give Ted a hard time if they want to, but I think the guy has tried pretty hard to promote the platform.
And I'd hoped someone would start working with all that source code, but very little has happened.
So now Ted gets the same treatment Bill Buck did.
It doesn't pay to try to give something to this community at a reasonable (even down right low) cost.
Because you're still going to end up with sh*t stains on your back from the ungrateful monkeys in this community.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 03:02:48 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;754046
blender's interface isn't the most intuitive, but i find it the most useful. if you're looking for something more useful, try ffshop.

i
-- eliyahu

Yeah and on the Morphos version you can use Firewire with Blender so not bad. But havent used it. Have you acutually cut video on the os4 version of Blender? is it easy to use?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 03:30:21 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;754055
Yeah and on the Morphos version you can use Firewire with Blender so not bad. But havent used it. Have you acutually cut video on the os4 version of Blender? is it easy to use?
yes, but, no, the UI isn't terribly intuitive. but you can do rather a lot with it. i would think the MOS version running on a G5 would be very nice indeed. it works well enough on my peg2 running AOS4.1u6.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
I have done some basic video editing using Blender on OS4. It isn't really intuitive, but you get used to it once you learn how to use it, there are some tutorials on the net. The major drawbacks I have found are:
- the video codec used in the videos produced by my camcorder aren't recognised by Blender (MP4 container, H.264 codec - Blender's FFMpeg version seems to be the culprit here), I need to convert them with mencoder before they can be loaded
- I have not found an easy way to do a combined audio/video crossfade between two videos. There's an option to do a video crossfade, for the audio part I had to manually fade it out and in
- for high resolution videos (i.e. 1080p) there's a very handy feature which generates a thumbnail out each frame of a video, making it possible to edit them on low specced machines. What's really missing is a macro to automatically generate them for all the video/audio streams loaded in a project

It might be possible to fix the latter two points using Python scripts, I have not tried to write one though.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
It could be worth asking the author of OpenShot if he'd consider a port to / bounty for OS4/MorphOS/ARUS once the main kickstarter is out of the way.
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!