Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS3.9 Original?  (Read 3016 times)

Description:

Offline swift240

• Show only replies by swift240
Re: Amiga OS3.9 Original?
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Mine is a pro copy, no labels on the one I have.
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
Yeah, mine was all pro. Box, shrink wrap, silk screen printing on the cd and jewel case insert.

@ carnid - Yours kinda sounds like some flea market boot leg to me. None of it is protected in anyway, and you don't need a cdrom drive at all to install it. I used a PCMCIA to CF card to do mine.... uh, what tone007 said.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline carnidTopic starter

• Show only replies by carnid
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »
Thats good to know.  I bought it from a place called software hut - they seem to be an authorized dealer here in the states so I am assuming it should be fine.  I was just a bit surprised at the CDR / photocopied cover, but since this is an old OS I shouldn't be fussy.

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;533035
IIRC, there were some dealers that had rights to create their own copies

I never ever heard of this before - all copies of OS3.9 (including my own) were "normal", professional produced CDs in a standard jewel case. Maybe an e-mail to Haage&Partner would clear things up.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 07:10:16 PM »
Quote from: carnid;533094
Thats good to know.  I bought it from a place called software hut - they seem to be an authorized dealer here in the states so I am assuming it should be fine.  I was just a bit surprised at the CDR / photocopied cover, but since this is an old OS I shouldn't be fussy.

Well I think S.H. is a good place too. Just strange that you did not get a 'boxed version'

Although, thinking about it, the original boxed production run was loooonnng time ago. Sooo, there maybe none left in reality. In which case, vendors make a copy and sell ?

It should work fine for you, none the less...
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline number6

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 08:29:28 PM »
The more important bit, (as zipper alluded to) is the version (regardless of where it was made), since the original is buggy.

http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/installtips.html

worth a complete read ^^

Offline mike-

• Show only replies by mike-
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »
The Red, is the first version, printed, that contained a bug. A second pinker one, probably made in a mad hurry can seem like a copy as far as i can remember reading somewhere.  

Why not take a picture?
C= Amiga Addict & Dendrophiliac
(Oo)
⎛☮ໄ
ﮑὠՀ

Offline carnidTopic starter

• Show only replies by carnid
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »
Well everything seemed to install perfectly so I am not too concerned anymore.  It does look like this was the newer pink version, however the color label looks more purple.  Anyway, I am just glad I finally have my 4000 up and running again :)

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
Yeah, a picture would be good.

Mine is a pressed CD.

Also, inside the Cover of the jewel case is a  professionally made manual.  About 15 pages, half in English and half in German.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline eroom

• Show only replies by eroom
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
Got  OS 3.9 from amigakit a few years back now and its on a cdr with a professional looking label on the front dated 02/2001 and it came in a jewel case while OS 3.5 is a pressed CD in a big box.

Didn't really think anything of it at the time.

Offline efrenmgp

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 02:54:37 AM »
Quote from: carnid;533025
So I guess I bought a copy then - a bit expensive considering I paid $34.95 and it seems like it isn't authentic after all.  Oh well live and learn.

Well.. I didn't learn :(

Here's what happened. Last june I bought on eBay a "Rare Commodore Amiga OS 3.9 Sealed in Case" and paid 51 dlls for it. The thing is I didn´t ask the seller to send it directly to Mexico but to California (a friend's house), thinking I could pick it up this month during my travel to attend Amiwest (Great show by the way! I surely want to go back! :hat:).

So... I was very happy thinking I had a new and original OS 3.9 CD and to my surprise... it is a CD-R copy... just as carnid said, with some kind of color copy or printing in ordinary paper and also a printed label sticked to it. I was so angry! :angry:

Since my purchase was almos 5 months ago... it's too late to do anything, I just wanted to comment this and warn about this seller (p166user), who is still selling Amiga OS 3.9 CDs as can be seen here.

I saw Vesalia sells it for almost the same price I paid... I should have bought it with them and save all the trouble (and money). I can safely assume that Vesalia's CD is the real thing... right?

Now I'll learn...

Regards,
Efren

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 07:03:26 AM »
Quote from: efrenmgp;587382
Well.. I didn't learn :(

Here's what happened. Last june I bought on eBay a "Rare Commodore Amiga OS 3.9 Sealed in Case" and paid 51 dlls for it. The thing is I didn´t ask the seller to send it directly to Mexico but to California (a friend's house), thinking I could pick it up this month during my travel to attend Amiwest (Great show by the way! I surely want to go back! :hat:).

So... I was very happy thinking I had a new and original OS 3.9 CD and to my surprise... it is a CD-R copy... just as carnid said, with some kind of color copy or printing in ordinary paper and also a printed label sticked to it. I was so angry! :angry:

Since my purchase was almos 5 months ago... it's too late to do anything, I just wanted to comment this and warn about this seller (p166user), who is still selling Amiga OS 3.9 CDs as can be seen here.

I saw Vesalia sells it for almost the same price I paid... I should have bought it with them and save all the trouble (and money). I can safely assume that Vesalia's CD is the real thing... right?

Now I'll learn...

Regards,
Efren

No problem - Mr. Does from Vesalia is still in contact with most of the original developers (i.e. Frank Mariak/CyberGrafX 4; Haage&Partner/ArtEffect4, AmigaWriter; Andreas Magerl,Olaf Barthel/CED5; etc.). So buying from Vesalia (I suppose Andrew/AmigaKit has a similar approach) should be the most official and cleanest way to get hold of original software at the moment. Though I must admit I don't know how Software Hut works in this regards...
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 02:28:24 AM »
Quote from: efrenmgp;587382

Now I'll learn...

Regards,
Efren

I purchased an AmigaOS 3.9 CD from Vesalia not long ago, and I can confirm that they sell CD-R copies as well. It came with no CD inlay card and the CD case was of the slim type. It was also sealed with a couple of Haage & Partner stickers.

I guess the reason why the discs are offered as CD-R is simply because the demand for AmigaOS 3.9 CD's aren't big enough to justify a pressed CD's run nowadays.

But as "cha05e90" points out, purchasing the CD from Vesalia or AmigaKit seems to be the safest way to make sure you get a legitimate version of AmigaOS 3.9, and the same probably goes for SoftHut as well.

Offline efrenmgp

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »
Quote from: PanterHZ;587588
I purchased an AmigaOS 3.9 CD from Vesalia not long ago, and I can confirm that they sell CD-R copies as well. It came with no CD inlay card and the CD case was of the slim type. It was also sealed with a couple of Haage & Partner stickers.

Mmmm the one I got was not slim case and without stickers... it was just wrapped in plastic.

Well... I think I'll be waiting for someone who decides to sell his/her pressed CD.

Thanks!
Efren

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #28 from previous page: October 29, 2010, 06:05:26 PM »
I am currently setting up OS3.9 for another member here who sent me the disc he bought, It looks very much like a copy as the label stuck on it looks like it's been printed out on a home printer. Still at least it works I suppose... :)