Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Amiga user getting back into Amigas..  (Read 1245 times)

Description:

Offline outlawal2Topic starter

Old Amiga user getting back into Amigas..
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:49:16 AM »
Good evening!  I am getting back into Amigas (The machine most responsible for making me the Geek I am today)  I bought an Amiga 2000HD with 2mb ram...  I have MANY questions, but the first issue that MUST be resolved is that I need a flickerfixer as none of my monitors will work with this beast.  

Any idea on a REASONABLE flicker fixer?  (I only paid $90 for the darn machine, and so far the best I have seen price wise is about twice that)

The other issue I am having is that I can't get Amiga Explorer to connect to the serial port on the 2000. (Yes I have bought a good quality null modem cable and have set all the settings according to the program but still no dice..)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Caius

• Show only replies by Caius
Re: Old Amiga user getting back into Amigas..
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »
Welcome back to the Amiga!

As for the serial cable. Have you tried using a terminal program to transfer files? Using HyperTerminal on the Windows side, and something like NComm on the Amiga side will let you see that at least your hardware is ok.
Theology is just a debate over who to frame for creating reality.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 02:59:50 AM »
Currently Amiga Explorer is all I have for communicating from one to the other...  May have to go your route..  

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:54:32 AM »
Welcome to Amiga.org!

The other issue I am having is that I can't get Amiga Explorer to connect to the serial port on the 2000. (Yes I have bought a good quality null modem cable and have set all the settings according to the program but still no dice..)

Can you confirm the cable and null modem on another computer? Believe it or not I have found bum RS232 cables in the past the visually looked fine. Check the obvious, make sure the serial port is enabled in your PC BIOS and COM1 is configured right in Windows.

Next, how many colors is your workbench? Set Workbench to 4 color and try again. On the Amiga 500 you would totally kill the serial port if you set Workbench colors too high. If memory serves me correctly, the A2000 is the same.

Finally $90 for a A2000HD is a darn good price nowadays! Enjoy!
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:29:24 AM »
Can't really confirm the cable on another PC but it is a brand new cable from Belkin right out of the box.  REALLY doubt that the cable is bad.  I did verify that the com port is correct in my Bios (I am using COM Port 3 actually)and it is correct in Windows.  For your final suggestion, regarding 4 colors in Workbench, this is a bit dicey because I don't have any way to use a monitor. So I am running the Amiga through a Hauppauge PVR unit and viewing onscreen using a TV application. (Hokey I know, but it DOES work, albeit with about a 2 second lag that is quite interesting)  Anyway, the video is monochrome so I am not certain how to verify how many colors I am running.  (Remember I am an old Amiga guy but it has been FOREVER since I have used one!)  Thanks for your help...

Offline davideo

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
Open your prefs drawer and look for something like ScreenMode. That will allow you to alter the screen resolution and screen depth (number of colours).

The names my be slightly different depending on which version of WorkBench you are using.

You could connect the Mono out phono socket to most modern TVs if you want.

Dave G  8-)

Offline nishtek

• Show only replies by nishtek
    • http://www.nishtek.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:54:37 AM »
did you verify your cable matches the schematics on ae site?
----
Nishtek.com